Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Team sheds light on upright walking

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,581 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

www.independent.co.uk said:

Mankind's ancestors may have started walking on two legs simply because it allowed them to carry more food away in their hands, boosting their chance of survival, scientists believe.

Anthropologists studying chimpanzees found that the great apes, who usually walk on all fours, walk upright and free their hands for carrying when they need to monopolise hard-to-find resources by swiping more at a single attempt in the face of fierce competition.

The team from the University of Cambridge and Kyoto University in Japan believe the benefit of "first come, first served" and getting a bigger share of scarce food supplies could, over a long period of time, have led some of our earliest "hominin" ancestors to evolve into "bipedal" primates walking on two legs permanently instead of four.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

I think I heard this theory already 30 years ago and based on similar observations of chimps.

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Where do these guys get all this stuff from ?,and if thats the case why didnt chimps/gorilla's and other primates keep on evolving.Or did they say to themselves,o.k we'll let humans have a go for a few millenia,then when they become extinct we shall have a turn.Some of these theories are a real hoot..My theory is that humans stood up to carry their kids to school over the mud when it rained,ha ha ha let the nerds prove otherwise,,,

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,413 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

This is ridiculous.

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 21 March 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Where do these guys get all this stuff from ?,and if thats the case why didnt chimps/gorilla's and other primates keep on evolving.Or did they say to themselves,o.k we'll let humans have a go for a few millenia,then when they become extinct we shall have a turn.Some of these theories are a real hoot..My theory is that humans stood up to carry their kids to school over the mud when it rained,ha ha ha let the nerds prove otherwise,,,

They get this from OBSERVATING the behaviour of apes.

Just look at this video:

Or this, because some fkup thought it was good idea to not have people embed this video on forums and such:

Edited by Abramelin, 21 March 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#6    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 21 March 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

They get is from OBSERVATING the behaviour of apes.

Just look at this video:

Goedenavond ,What are you trying to prove ?,I have seen a walking on two legs Gorilla at Bristol Zoo,but that doesnt prove why Humans stood upright.I happen to believe that we did not evolve from primates,but are a totally separate species ...

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#7    Inhuman Implant

Inhuman Implant

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

idk but whenever i look at that gorilla it reminds me of george w bush haha

#8    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

I do not know what the point of this is. Obviously, there were advantages moving upright, otherwise some of the species would not have started to do so. And there are other advantages in other behaviour, so others behaved differently. That is why there are billions of species out there. Nature is diversity. Proof - pudding.

#9    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Lol, they must have been just as materialistic as us......all that shopping to carry!!! Lmao

#10    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 21 March 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

Goedenavond ,What are you trying to prove ?,I have seen a walking on two legs Gorilla at Bristol Zoo,but that doesnt prove why Humans stood upright.I happen to believe that we did not evolve from primates,but are a totally separate species ...

Well, apparently we are genetically closely linked to chimps and gorillas so it's logical to assume apes and humans must have a common ancestor.

#11    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 22 March 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Well, apparently we are genetically closely linked to chimps and gorillas so it's logical to assume apes and humans must have a common ancestor.
  Sorry friend I dont agree,are you happy that your Great Grandad x about 40000 plus generations ago was swinging through the trees,because I am NOT.Just because Charlie Darwin 200 years ago,came up with a few theories about evolution does not mean that he was right..but he put his point of view forward and had it accepted,Then...
     If a human child is born with 6 fingers,is he a freak,by todays standards ?,or is that particular family evolving ?.taking a step forward !.Of course every one sympathyses and off he goes to Hospital to have the offending  part removed,but maybe when/if  he has kids,they also may have 6 fingers.Then what ?have we a new species of human ?......We all have opinions and thats mine,but I also respect yours, cheers

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#12    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 22 March 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Sorry friend I dont agree,are you happy that your Great Grandad x about 40000 plus generations ago was swinging through the trees,because I am NOT.Just because Charlie Darwin 200 years ago,came up with a few theories about evolution does not mean that he was right..but he put his point of view forward and had it accepted,Then...
     If a human child is born with 6 fingers,is he a freak,by todays standards ?,or is that particular family evolving ?.taking a step forward !.Of course every one sympathyses and off he goes to Hospital to have the offending  part removed,but maybe when/if  he has kids,they also may have 6 fingers.Then what ?have we a new species of human ?......We all have opinions and thats mine,but I also respect yours, cheers

That is not an opinion, that is not understanding what evolution is all about.

Maybe this is of help:

http://morriscourse....f_evolution.htm

Edited by Abramelin, 22 March 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#13    Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Humans began walking due to grasslands taking over the jungles of ancient earth. Isolated tree stands would be separated by stretches of grassland. Once a tree stand became overpopulated pre-humans would have to migrate to a new area. Crossing grasslands, full of predators, is dangerous. Walking upright gave pre-humans the ability to see over the grass and more protection from predators.

#14    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostSparhawk, on 09 May 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Humans began walking due to grasslands taking over the jungles of ancient earth. Isolated tree stands would be separated by stretches of grassland. Once a tree stand became overpopulated pre-humans would have to migrate to a new area. Crossing grasslands, full of predators, is dangerous. Walking upright gave pre-humans the ability to see over the grass and more protection from predators.
Wherethehellarewe's the first human tribe.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#15    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

I seem to recall seeing it suggested, years ago, that habitual upright walking enabled hominims to retain weapons. That makes a fair amount of sense since weapons have continuous utility in a natural environment in a way that food doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users