Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Livio C. Stecchini

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#76    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

• people say I'm crazy (chapman/lennon)

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

if thats a bit small, 'zoom' your browser.
here's the same post with supplement
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm a visual person, and this format works better for me.

Bom~

Edited by bom shankra, 29 March 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Whats happening here? I can't add URL links on my signature (to legal streeming music sites such as smithsonian folkways radio / adelaide community "3D radio - 5DDD") -  have I been disabled???, I did post a link to a bob dylan video on my 'profile feed' a few weeks ago that might have been dubious, it got deleted, by someone anyway, very sorry guys!!! But why did the legitimate links on my signature also get wiped? - and I say, I seem to be disabled now :td: .

#77    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,282 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

I don't like the numbers .... they're too sneaky ... will it work on a upside down pentagram ?

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#78    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

Hi #3i, I disagree with sneaky.  I don’t understand why a person would set out to deceive the public, but I accept it happens, ‘you can fool some of the people…’

Incidentally, I was quite interested in the topic of cranks and crackpots, and particularly designers of perpetual motion machines for a while there, there’s quite a history going back to the late middle ages, plenty of  ‘engineers’ and ‘scientists’  who refuse to let the laws of nature limit their thinking. I’m thinking of starting a thread here at some point. One name, ‘orffyreus’ sticks in my mind.

But anyway #3i, I’m not done yet with what I’m trying to put across. Those visuals are just to make the job easier, the ‘sermon’ will follow shortly, but isn’t quite ready yet, but rest assured,  i’m working on it.

LEGAL STREAMING MUSIC FOR FREE:
http://www.radiorock...indexradio.html 60's and 70's underground - try the folk americana / psychadelic americana
http://streema.com/radios/play/35959 - ADELAIDE COMMUNITY RADIO - STREAMING FOR YOUR PLEASURE AND EDIFICATION;
http://www.folkways....ways/radio.aspx - world music from the vaults of the smithsonian institutes own record label 'FOLKWAYS'

Whats happening here? I can't add URL links on my signature (to legal streeming music sites such as smithsonian folkways radio / adelaide community "3D radio - 5DDD") -  have I been disabled???, I did post a link to a bob dylan video on my 'profile feed' a few weeks ago that might have been dubious, it got deleted, by someone anyway, very sorry guys!!! But why did the legitimate links on my signature also get wiped? - and I say, I seem to be disabled now :td: .

#79    Michael Collins

Michael Collins

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

Hi, Bom tks for the refs to Dendera. I read somewhere the Dendera zodiac was inverted - can't find the ref now. It'll come back sometime.
For anyone interested here are some other refs to Earth rotation ...

In a fight between ‘gods’, Zeus reversed the laws of nature which hitherto had been immutable …and had Helius (the sun) …  wrest his chariot about and turn his horses’ heads toward dawn. That evening, for the first and last time, the sun set in the east. Graves, R. The Greek Myths, 111.e

Hebrew mythology  recorded the sun stood still and did not go down for a whole day;the earth is moved exceedingly ……the Lord maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down.’ Book of Jasher, in Joshua 10:13; Isaiah, 24

According to Agamemnon (458 BC) the wayward wife Helen (Venus) was rescued and avenged by Zeus who sent a flotilla of celestial ships – some black, some white – which hung ‘turning in circles’, beating the air with the oars of their wings, until they fell in flames upon the mortal shore like ‘angry birds’ – the winged dogs of war - bringing disaster, slaughter, shambles, ruin, calamitous carnage, irremediable grief – the iron axe smashed Troy and the seed of all the land perished. The ‘accursed hound with pricked ears’ was the overturner of Troy. Conflagration ran around the mountain tops ‘announcing the taking and capsizing of Troy’.
The Agamemnon of Aeschylus, MacNiece trans.

Egyptian myth says the sungod, Ra, ‘took away a seventy-second part of the light of the Moon’ and added five days – which means earth’s orbit was increased by a seventy-second part, 360/72, equals five extra days - called the  epagomenaeadded to the three hundred and sixty of which the year formerly consisted. [Whiston 1696, cited in Velikovsky, I. Worlds in Collision, Ch 8.

The iron hearted devil [asteroid] was the beast named ‘Asterius’, starry son of Cometes - a chimaeric fire-breathing horned-headed bull, covered in black hair and foaming saliva – which plunged upon the fair land until Troy was uprooted … overmastered with wounds it uttered one last groan and fell in ruin … the gods in anger overturned the magnificence.
Graves, The Greek Myths, 160, 161.b, 163.b, 169.a; The Iliad, XII: 16; I: 55; XII: 29; XXIV: 407; XXIV: 663

Edited by Michael Collins, 02 April 2013 - 03:39 AM.

#80    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostMichael Collins, on 02 April 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

Hi, Bom tks for the refs to Dendera. I read somewhere the Dendera zodiac was inverted - can't find the ref now. It'll come back sometime.

no worries mike. if you don't mind  though, I will evaluate your latest comments:

R Graves - http://en.wikipedia....The_Greek_Myths - Graves' retellings have been widely praised as imaginative and poetic, but the scholarship behind his hypotheses and conclusions is rejected as idiosyncratic and untenable

book of jasher, an 18th centuary falsification, according to Wiki once again!

The Agamemnon of Aeschylus, MacNiece trans. - reputable source, but whats overturned and capsized?  - only troy.

Velikovsky - the reason for stecchinis disrepute - I  haven't read velikovsky's worlds in collision Mike,  and I'd be surprised if you have either, and the citation is from this guy : William Whiston (9 December 1667 – 22 August 1752) was an English theologian, historian, and mathematician.
(http://en.wikipedia....William_Whiston)

don't mean to be disparriging, but I can't see the relevance to Stecchini

bom~

LEGAL STREAMING MUSIC FOR FREE:
http://www.radiorock...indexradio.html 60's and 70's underground - try the folk americana / psychadelic americana
http://streema.com/radios/play/35959 - ADELAIDE COMMUNITY RADIO - STREAMING FOR YOUR PLEASURE AND EDIFICATION;
http://www.folkways....ways/radio.aspx - world music from the vaults of the smithsonian institutes own record label 'FOLKWAYS'

Edited by bom shankra, 02 April 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#81    Michael Collins

Michael Collins

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Hi Bom, yes I strayed from yr Stecchini thread. Apologies. I'll stop now.
BYW, one item may be viewed as unreliable but I count over 20 references from old sources saying Earth turned over.
Yes I have read Veilkovsky - why not? And I am quite familar also with Whiston tks. One of his achievements was to translate the entire works of Flavius Josephus - which is worth reading.
Mike C

#82    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostMichael Collins, on 04 April 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

Hi Bom, yes I strayed from yr Stecchini thread. Apologies. I'll stop now.
BYW, one item may be viewed as unreliable but I count over 20 references from old sources saying Earth turned over.
Yes I have read Veilkovsky - why not? And I am quite familar also with Whiston tks. One of his achievements was to translate the entire works of Flavius Josephus - which is worth reading.
Mike C
I Have only 'heard', but that work 'worlds in collision' is typically hailed as being as far away from real science as creationism.  If you know the work, why not give a brief synopsis.
this is the wiki write up:

In the book's preface, Velikovsky summarized his arguments: Worlds in Collision is a book of wars in the celestial sphere that took place in historical times. In these wars the planet earth participated too. [...] The historical-cosmological story of this book is based in the evidence of historical texts of many people around the globe, on classical literature, on epics of the northern races, on sacred books of the peoples of the Orient and Occident, on traditions and folklore of primitive peoples, on old astronomical inscriptions and charts, on archaeological finds, and also on geological and paleontological material.
The book proposed that around the 15th century BCE, Venus was ejected from Jupiter as a comet or comet-like object, passed near Earth (an actual collision is not mentioned). The object changed Earth's orbit and axis, causing innumerable catastrophes which were mentioned in early mythologies and religions around the world. Fifty-two years later, it passed close by again, stopping the Earth's rotation for a while and causing more catastrophes. Then, in the 8th and 7th centuries BCE, Mars (itself displaced by Venus) made close approaches to the Earth; this incident caused a new round of disturbances and disasters. After that, the current "celestial order" was established. The courses of the planets stabilized over the centuries and Venus gradually became a "normal" planet.
These events lead to several key statements:

I was going to argue as I have seen argued by this ex- wiki editor (  Rktect -http://en.wikipedia....ibutions/Rktect  ) that when Stecchini defended Velikovsky in 1963 Velikovsky had not courted as much controversy as he did at later stages in his career, but I can see that indeed, W.O.C.  was out there since 1950.

Quoting Rktect

• His loyalty to a colleauge who had brilliant and imaginitive if unsubstantiated insights in many areas and who was also something of a publicity hound was both misguided and understandable.
  • When Stechinni first encountered Velikovsky he was still regarded as brilliant but weird, and noted for being the sort of chap who could drop by to discuss with Einstein strange esoteric things like the possibility of their being a tenth planet.
  • He simply wasn't all that controversial yet when Stecchini first got to know him. Later when his ideas were picked up by Sitchin and Von Daniken and Grahm Hancock and run into the space aliens and ufo's pyramidiocy of the well hemped 70's he came to be seen as one of the tin hat crowd with his guilt chiefly by association. Velikovsky's discussion of the Ipuwer papyrus is a fascinating read which you can both entirely disagree with and still want to give some thought to.
  • Velikovsky also proposed that the explosion of Santorini might be misdated and tied into the arrival of the Hyksos in Egypt. (There are a couple of things that he proposed that are now accepted as fact but were considered pretty weird ideas at the time)

you see Mike, I kind of had the idea that you must be taking all your arguments from this Gleeson autor that you first mentioned, don't ask me why.  I don't mind you going off topic, its an open forum after all, though unless it relates to stecchini in future, I think I will make it the last time I personally respond to it.

chrs bom~

#83    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Following up on the map diagram info, I will briefly describe the concept as I believe Stecchini conceived it. According to Stecchini there were two periods where the Geodetic system was established, the first was superior slightly to the second, the first in the pre-dynastic period established the length of united Egypt from Bedet, former capital, on the northern limit of the delta, to the 24.00 parallel as 106 Atur. I believe that this is where Stecchini garners his most fundamental concept on the length of a geographic cubit/geographic foot. He claims that there are 3 examples of inscribed cubit rules, found by Ludwig Borchardt at the temple of Amon in Thebes. These rules supposedly bear an identical inscription, which "appears to be a traditional one; for reasons of style of the text of the inscription has been ascribed to the old kingdom although the rules themselves belong to a later period”. He carries on to say '' the inscription states that the distance between Behdet and Syene, the area of the first cataract, is 106 atur, and divides the distance into 20 atur from Bhedet to Pi-hapy(northern Egypt), and 86 atur between Pi-hapy and Syene(southern Egypt)." Stecchini believes the atur = 15000 royal cubits, making 106 atur = 1590000 royal cubits or 833395.8m, this he states compares to Smithsonian geo. tables figure of 831091.6 (so theres an excess here of 2300m, or 2/7 of an atur.)....but Stecchini has it that the distance is really related to the geographic cubit, of which there are by his definition 1800000 (831048.4m) in the afore mentioned length of Egypt. 106 atur of 17000 geographic cubits = 1802000 = 831971.7m which is a little in excess to the Smithsonian tables.

Hope that’s clear. The one reference here is the cubit rules of Borhardt. The rest is inference, though there is a reasonable case put forwards in certain respects for where the southern boundary of Egypt would have fallen:

A key point used by Stecchini is the hieroglyph for southern Egypt, and the Unity of Egypt design (which includes the 'windpipe' as representing the 'trunk', or main axis of Egypt, found on statues of pharaohs sitting on the throne. Simply put, there are two common stylised hieroglyphs for n. and s. Egypt. (see my diagram) N. Egypt is commonly understood as Papyrus, and S. the Lotus. Stecchini believes these are misnomers to a degree, his idea is N. Egypt stylises the tributaries of the delta, and further, that they are in general portrayed emerging from a square/rectangle and further, that this square sometimes has wavy lines within it, sometimes not. I have confirmed examples of this myself, though the base has tended to be a more of a mound than a square, and I have seen no evidence of the enclosed wavy water lines.(there is a further expansion of theory of Stecchini regarding this 'rectangle' that I will pick up later on.)

Stecchinis S.Egypt has a base consisting of 3 parallel horizontal lines representing the 24.06, 24.00, and 2351 parallel with an upwards line representing the Nile (my own limited investigations have not revealed this stripped down version, I have only seen the more stylised floral version, but the 3 parallel lines are in existence.)

the stylised tying together with ropes and knots on this 'Unity of E.' design adds further evidence of the geodetic system of lines and points to which Stecchini is referring us to.

Edited by bom shankra, 06 April 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#84    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

having problems with editor.... heres the post again:

Following up on the map diagram info, I will briefly describe the concept as I believe Stecchini conceived it. According to Stecchini there were two periods where the Geodetic system was established, the first was superior slightly to the second, the first in the pre-dynastic period established the length of united Egypt from Bedet, former capital, on the northern limit of the delta, to the 24.00 parallel as 106 Atur. I believe that this is where Stecchini garners his most fundamental concept on the length of a geographic cubit/geographic foot. He claims that there are 3 examples of inscribed cubit rules, found by Ludwig Borchardt at the temple of Amon in Thebes. These rules supposedly bear an identical inscription, which "appears to be a traditional one; for reasons of style of the text of the inscription has been ascribed to the old kingdom although the rules themselves belong to a later period”. He carries on to say '' the inscription states that the distance between Behdet and Syene, the area of the first cataract, is 106 atur, and divides the distance into 20 atur from Bhedet to Pi-hapy(northern Egypt), and 86 atur between Pi-hapy and Syene(southern Egypt)." Stecchini believes the atur = 15000 royal cubits, making 106 atur = 1590000 royal cubits or 833395.8m, this he states compares to Smithsonian geo. tables figure of 831091.6 (so theres an excess here of 2300m, or 2/7 of an atur.)....but Stecchini has it that the distance is really related to the geographic cubit, of which there are by his definition 1800000 (831048.4m) in the afore mentioned length of Egypt. 106 atur of 17000 geographic cubits = 1802000 = 831971.7m which is a little in excess to the Smithsonian tables.

Hope that’s clear. The one reference here is the cubit rules of Borhardt. The rest is inference, though there is a reasonable case put forwards in certain respects for where the southern boundary of Egypt would have fallen:

A key point used by Stecchini is the hieroglyph for southern Egypt, and the Unity of Egypt design (which includes the 'windpipe' as representing the 'trunk', or main axis of Egypt, found on statues of pharaohs sitting on the throne. Simply put, there are two common stylised hieroglyphs for n. and s. Egypt. (see my diagram) N. Egypt is commonly understood as Papyrus, and S. the Lotus. Stecchini believes these are misnomers to a degree, his idea is N. Egypt stylises the tributaries of the delta, and further, that they are in general portrayed emerging from a square/rectangle and further, that this square sometimes has wavy lines within it, sometimes not. I have confirmed examples of this myself, though the base has tended to be a more of a mound than a square, and I have seen no evidence of the enclosed wavy water lines.(there is a further expansion of theory of Stecchini regarding this 'rectangle' that I will pick up later on.)

Stecchinis S.Egypt has a base consisting of 3 parallel horizontal lines representing the 24.06, 24.00, and 23.51 parallel with an upwards line representing the Nile (my own limited investigations have not revealed this stripped down version, I have only seen the more stylised floral version, but the 3 parallel lines are in existence.)

The 3 parralels are explained thus:
23 51'N - actual tropic circa 2800 bc
24 00'N - perfect lattitude
24 06'N - lattitude where shadow of edge of suns disc casts no shadow at noon on summer solstice. ( sun has apparent diameter of 1/2 a degree, hence the offset by 15 minutes from the actual tropic)

The stylised tying together with ropes and knots on this 'Unity of E.' design adds further evidence of the geodetic system of lines and points to which Stecchini is referring us to.

The second geodetic system begins with the final 'unification' at the beggining of the dynastic period, and emphasised the septenary system, and linkink the geography of Egypt to the geography of the skies. The tropics taken as roughly 24 degrees represent the high and low points of the path of the sun, or the ecliptic. The planets follow this plane, with mercury being the body which deviates the most (7 degrees). "stress was put on the fact that Egypt begins at the line of the tropic of Cancer, and extends 7 degrees north, so that Egypt could be considered the equvalent of the northern half of the zodiacal band'

In the new geodetic system, the new northern limit of Egypt was set at 31 06'N, which is the E-W line that intersects the two outer edges of the delta, and forms a mathematical MR triangle with the apex of the delta.
(at 31 06' a degree of longitude is 6/7 of a degree at the equator, and cos 31 deg = 0.85717, where as 6/7 = 0.85714. the difference of 6' represents the polar flattening, which Stecchini has as 1/280, though this point is pure inference on Stecchinis's part.)

(For the sake of succinctness, I'm skipping an important section here relating to the extents of upper and lower Egypt, which deserves a future post of its own, and also relates to the above point concerning the square /rectangle from which the 'papyrus stalks' eminate)

the dimensions of Egypt were recalculated in terms of a new unit of length, the royal cubit, "obtained by adding a seventh hand to thestandard cubit. In terms of this longer cubit, the length of Egypt from 31 06' to 24 00'N was set as 1500000 Royal cubits, which summed up the septenary spirit of the new geodetic system." ( see my diagram for comparrison to modern data for this distance).

#85    Windowpane

Windowpane

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

View Postbom shankra, on 24 March 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

... he says agrathachides a greek grammarian from 2nd centuary BCE was the original source of the report that twice the perimiter of the base of the great pyramid is 5 stadia, that is 1/2 a minute of a degree of lattitude.

A recent detailed investigation (scroll down) of Stecchini's claims was unable to find any source for Agatharchides' statements.

#86    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

link not working - I found this though :

We start in modern times. In 2007, the ex-neo-Nazi diffusionist Frank Joseph wrote in Opening the Ark of the Covenant that “the Greek geographer and historian Agatharchides of Cnidus concluded that it [the Great Pyramid] ‘incorporated fractions of geographical degrees.’” Thus, it was a model of the earth itself. Robert Schoch agreed in 2005’s Pyramid Quest. Earlier, in 1995, John Anthony West (who, you will recall, believes I am evil and attempting to destroy him) wrote in The Traveler’s Key to Ancient Egypt that “all allusions to the pyramid as an earth model could be traced back to the peripatetic Greek philosopher Agatharcides of Cnidus.” Similar material appears in Colin Wilson’s and Rand Flem-Ath’s The Atlantis Blueprint (2000), repeating nearly verbatim material in Wilson’s From Atlantis to the Sphinx (1996) and Wilson’s and Damon Knight’s Mammoth Encyclopedia of the Unsolved (2000); and these books give exact measurements allegedly derived from Agatharcides. These numbers are found even earlier in Charles Berlitz’s Mysteries from Forgotten Worlds (1972), again attributed to Agatharchides.

But turning back any further and we hit a wall. The oldest reference is from 1971, when the classical scholar Livio Catullo Stecchini (1913-1979), a defender of Velikovsky and pyramid numerology, wrote an appendix to Peter Tompkins’s Secrets of the Great Pyramid (1971), wherein the author makes the first version of the claim. As Le site d’Irna quotes, Stecchini presented extraordinary detail about Agatharchides compared with his extant works:

The interesting feature of Agatharchides’ report about the dimensions of the Pyramid is that he excludes the pyramidion from the reckoning. [...] From Agatharchides’ account one gathers that the Great Pyramid of Giza was topped by such a pyramidion, "small pyramid," as the Greeks called it. In the case of this Pyramid, at least, the pyramidion was used to achieve a mathematical result. (page 372)

[...] the top of the Pyramid was conceived as cut off in the computation presented by Agatharchides.

An essential point of Agatharchides’ account is that he describes the Pyramid as having an apothem which measures a stadium up to the pyramidion and having a side which measures 1 1/4 stadia. The term stadium has a double meaning: it refers to 1/10 minute of degree and it refers to a specific unit of measurement. Agatharchides uses the term in both senses. (page 372)

From Agatharchides we learn that the apothem up to the pyramidion had a length of a stadium, that is, 1/10 of a minute of degree. (page 373)

Agatharchides interprets the dimensions of the Pyramid also by taking the word stadium as referring to the stadium of 600 geographic feet. (page 373)

According to Agatharchides the side of the Pyramid is 1 1/4 stadia or 750 feet (230,847 millimeters), and the apothem is a stadium or 600 feet. The side of the base of the pyramidion is 9 feet. The figures indicate that Agatharchides was not concerned with presenting the actual dimensions of the Pyramid, but in illustrating the mathematical principles according to which the Pyramid had been conceived. (page 373)

Having started with the mentioned meridian triangle, Agatharchides cut off the side so as to reduce the apothem to 600 feet and the base to 371 feet, excluding the part of the base below the half of the pyramidion. (page 374)

Not a lick of this material appears in ancient sources, which amount to a few paragraphs of fragments from Photius, Diodorus, Strabo, and others. So far as I am aware, the first authors to claim the Great Pyramid represented the circumference of the earth were John Wilson, author of The Lost Solar System of the Ancients Discovered (1856) and Edme François Jomard, editor of the Description de L’Égypt. The warrant, as Jomard had it, was that the Pyramid’s coffer was so close to the French meter (itself designed to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole) that the Pyramid must therefore embody astronomically-derived measurements.

I don't think this guy is quite as smart as he would have us all believe though, the critisism is just a pastiche of different sources - he hasn't studied stecchini in enough depth.

#87    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

I've read through the thread and have to say that the claims about the great pyramid is simply looking for things to match to.

Take for instance the notion that something about the perimeter of the base is comparable to the modern coordinate system. I'm almost expecting to see someone go off the deep end and claim this is time travel proved.

The problem with this matching game is that the effort begins by obtaining a number. The number is supposed to be important so an effort is made at all costs to find something to match it to. The pyramid numbers could be matched to all sorts of different things. As soon as it is eureka and a stunning discovery is proclaimed.

This reminds of the RV crew that avoid failures by claiming the most ridiculous match ups or if all else fails claim that what they saw was in another reality. Here the base perimeter did not work out when multiplied by thousands, millions, or billions so a jump was made to another reality: the future.

There were some comments about the Earth reversing rotation. Did not happen. The fossil record reveals that the Earth has been slowing down for hundreds of millions of years. The cause is the Moon. The slowdown in the Earth's rotation causes the Moon to increase speed and move to a higher orbit. We now add leap seconds to keep the calendar and atomic clocks in synch. The Earth is still slowing down. We have to wait quite a while before the year is 360 days long.

#88    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,485 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

View Poststereologist, on 18 September 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

I've read through the thread and have to say that the claims about the great pyramid is simply looking for things to match to.

The problem with this matching game is that the effort begins by obtaining a number. The number is supposed to be important so an effort is made at all costs to find something to match it to. The pyramid numbers could be matched to all sorts of different things. As soon as it is eureka and a stunning discovery is proclaimed.
The Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy:

The name comes from a joke about a Texan who fires some shots at the side of a barn, then paints a target centered on the biggest cluster of hits and claims to be a sharpshooter.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#89    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

hello Harte. long time -miss seeing you B)
I like this Paul Auster quote -(reminds me of you debunnkers)

“If I hit that tree with this stone, Rousseau says, all will go well in my life from now on. He throws and misses. That one didn't count, he says, so he picks up another stone and moves several yards closer to the tree. He misses again. That one didn't count either, he says, and then he moves still closer to the tree and finds another stone. Again he misses. That was just the final warm up toss, he says, it's the next one that really counts. But just to make sure, he walks right up to the tree this time, positioning himself directly in front of the tree. He is no more than a foot away from it by now, close enough to touch it with his hand. The he lobs the stone squarely against the trunk. Success, he says to himself, I've done it. From this moment on, life will be better for me than ever before.

- Stereologist, the claims made by Stecchini aren't neccesarily supported by me personally, I didn't get to my conclusion, but please be aware theres quite a bit of background material that goes with the Stecchini perimetrer-base hypothesis, like the geodetic system etc (see post 84). I  trawled around on wikipedia in the talk pages of ancient measures/meterology which was also unconclusive.  I have stated early on in this thread that there is a problem with wethere there is any evidence of corroboration from the acinient sources besides Stecchinis personal claims, but one of the biggest weakness I found though with Stecchini was where he draws parallels with the Parthenon, saying that its dimensions location and orientation are another example of intentional encryption, what I mean is that even if we consider there to be any truth in the To-Mera concept, Stecchini makes a point of stating that the most perfect juncture of the A.E's geodetic science was the pre-dynastic one, and that this was resurrected in Ahkanatens time, but then stecchini explains that a gradual decline occurs, So how in that case can the re-occurance of this old earth comensurate system of measures have been rediscovered to aid the construction of the Parthenon. Doesn't make sense, and Stecchini fails to explain it away.
  Anyway, all that was earlier in the year, and  I was going to sum up on that note, but being the only poster apparently who was interested in Stecchini, I figured I'd save myself the trouble.  I did follow up a bit on something the poster Micael Collins mentioned, namely William Whiston - interesting character, contempory of Isaac Newtons, I read some of "the Velikovsky affair", about him, and came across some interesting stuff regarding Newton, and his religo-science.

how does that song go "I've Been Wrong, But I'll be Right Some Day"

till next time..

#90    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

I believe this was the thread with comments about Velikovsky. When I was young I was given the book by my father. He had me read it and of course I took it hook, line, and sinker. It claimed that the myths were in fact history. My father was interested in astronomy and after I read the book he showed me rebuttals by astronomers. It perplexed me for a long time back then, but my father showed me that it was important to take things with a grain of salt and to look at various aspects of a claim.

What I find hard to believe in terms of the pyramids is that the ancients were attempting to send messages about math. There are certainly better ways to send a simple math message than spending decades building a pyramid. I think that the ratios are not intentional messages, but rather artifacts of the construction process. If anything these so-called messages might tell us how they laid out the structure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users