Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] Fluorescent millipedes found on Alcatraz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,061 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

www.baycitizen.org said:

Millipedes that glow under black lights have been discovered for the first time on Alcatraz.

“There are other millipedes out there that are bioluminescent — they give off their own light,” said Bob Kimsey, an entomology professor at the University of California, Davis, who is investigating whether the fluorescent millipedes are a newly discovered subspecies of Xystocheir dissecta, a species found in the Bay Area and elsewhere.“But this is a fundamentally different thing here. If you shine the black light on them, then some property of their exoskeleton takes that light and converts it into a bluish-green light and then emits it back.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Just what i need.To be able to see them in the dark too.Is rather look at demons with glowing red eyes in the dark.They gross me out less.
*shudders*

Miss me?

#3    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Postmissymoo999, on 22 March 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

Just what i need.To be able to see them in the dark too.Is rather look at demons with glowing red eyes in the dark.They gross me out less.
*shudders*

Hahhaha .. I Totally Agree!!

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#4    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Do they actually give off their own light or are they just fluorescing under a black light? The article is not very clear...

If they wanted to show the bioluminescence should they not have taken a photo in pitch black conditions!?

Posted Image

#5    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Can't get much cooler than that!  I love millipedes but this is the first time I've ever heard of them glowing.  I would think that would blow their cover at night and make them an easy target for birds or other insects and animals.

http://www.livescien...n-alcatraz.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users