Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ticket to Mars Will Cost $500,000

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,455 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

www.wired.com said:

Serial entrepreneur Elon Musk says SpaceX is developing a plan for trips to Mars that will eventually cost just $500,000 per seat. Musk founded SpaceX 10 years ago and interplanetary travel has always been one of his goals for the company. Few details were provided about the Martian voyage, but Musk did say we can expect to hear more about the plan in less than a year.

The bargain basement price for a trip to Mars also highlights Musk’s main effort behind SpaceX, to bring down the cost of delivering a payload — human or cargo — into space. In an interview with the BBC, Musk acknowledged the first seats won’t be selling for $500,000. It will take a while to get down to that price. But Musk says the half-million dollar ticket could happen a decade after trips begin.

“Land on Mars, a round-trip ticket — half a million dollars. It can be done,” he told the BBC.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,772 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Meh...
You could tour the world having a ball for that amount.  If you're a billionaire though, why not.  One night when there's nowt on TV.

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Oh god.....

Miss me?

#4    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Wait...

You tell me people are dying of starvation, dehydration and from pollution daily and these clowns are already thinking about offering half a million dollar tickets to Mars???

Damn, what is wrong with people?

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#5    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'd pay it

Might have to sell my house to afford it though

#6    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 5,114 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Still cheaper than a 1st-Class rail ticket from London to Edinburgh!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,935 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostJayMark, on 22 March 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Wait...

You tell me people are dying of starvation, dehydration and from pollution daily and these clowns are already thinking about offering half a million dollar tickets to Mars???

So you never take a holiday, have no luxuries and give all your spare cash to charity? Or is that something you only expect other people to do?

It is people like Musk that dragged us out of the caves, gave us science and technology and helped us become the most successful species on the planet. I suspect that those that sat inside the cave asking, " what is wrong with these people?" became extinct.

It is precisely BECAUSE this planet is so fragile that, if we are to survive as a species indefinitely, we need to be able to move to other planets. Musk is helping make that possible. It is because of those with foresight, not the naysayers, that we have some hope of a future.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#8    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

"Musk acknowledged the first seats won’t be selling for $500,000. It will take a while to get down to that price. But Musk says the half-million dollar ticket could happen a decade after trips begin".

And the trips wont even begin for decades.  Its just hype. besides what will the trip accomplish? Months in space with aggravating passengers next to you? (think long haul plane flights)...then to get there, have a look, and return?  Well for any more than 4 people aboard, just think of the food/water needed...

nah... :no:

Edited by bouncer, 22 March 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,936 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

View Postbouncer, on 22 March 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

"Musk acknowledged the first seats won’t be selling for $500,000. It will take a while to get down to that price. But Musk says the half-million dollar ticket could happen a decade after trips begin".

And the trips wont even begin for decades.  Its just hype. besides what will the trip accomplish? Months in space with aggravating passengers next to you? (think long haul plane flights)...then to get there, have a look, and return?  Well for any more than 4 people aboard, just think of the food/water needed...

I guess it would be nice to get off this planet for a time,whilst you're still alive,because the only other way is through a curtain in a box,ha ha getting there but not yet...

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#10    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

nothing - the spirit of exploration is part of what makes a human human.

#11    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,936 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 23 March 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

nothing - the spirit of exploration is part of what makes a human human.
     Hiya,I see your  point ,but what would you do if you had a couple of million dollars,that gets you about $24000 a month interest !,You would have a look around just for something to amuse you,and you wouldnt go to work on a bus....It seems to me that people who have money always want another million,so you have all this cash and nothing to spend it on,and up pops a trip to Mars...Have I answered your question ?...

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#12    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 23 March 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

Hiya,I see your  point ,but what would you do if you had a couple of million dollars,that gets you about $24000 a month interest !,You would have a look around just for something to amuse you,and you wouldnt go to work on a bus....It seems to me that people who have money always want another million,so you have all this cash and nothing to spend it on,and up pops a trip to Mars...Have I answered your question ?...

If I had the dough and the travel was  a possibility Id do it. Id love too. But its months in space and for any space adventure, astronauts are rigorously tested, specially on a psychological level, as to HOW they deal with being confined, and with each other and lots of other things too.

Its not as simple as strangers getting on a bus, with windows to look out of..we are talking of months in space, youd have to have the 'right' set of people so theres no-one having a major freak out on the way and being a risk to the mission...

I think we all prolly dream and want to go in space...but I dont know even if I could pass this simple test requirement...g-force

Edited by bouncer, 23 March 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#13    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Wait...

Money, essentially. That's what is wrong with people. I would love to travel to Mars. :-)

Edited by Alienated Being, 23 March 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#14    JonathanDoe

JonathanDoe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, ..., unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Wait...

Ok, I will feed the troll :)

First, please explain how people are dying from starvation, dehydration, and pollution and how this in any way relates to tickets to Mars -OR- admit this was just meant to be an ambiguous, dramatic, statement meant to feed your ego, reduce your guilt, and make you feel superior to everyone who sees things differently than you do :)

Second, Here is your tagline: "There is nothing else that exists but Counsciousness itself."
I will not touch the fact that you use this to identify yourself and cannot even spell Consciousness correctly :) My main point would be that if you really and truly believe this then why comment? Can you even begin to explain the contradiction between your absurd comment and your tagline?

Edited by JonathanDoe, 23 March 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#15    JonathanDoe

JonathanDoe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, ..., unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postbouncer, on 22 March 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

lol... If we survive the Singularity in a few decades it will not really be our bodies that go. It will be our uploaded counterparts and machines :) The flight will be in a matchbox size spacecraft with thousands of us living in a virtual environment. Why bother sending meat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users