Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tracking Belief in Bigfoot

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,898 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

http://www.livescien...nfographic.html

Posted Image

Interesting that 30% of people (In the US?) belive BF is really out there. That is around 100 million people in the US. How can so many be wrong? Is it the bad education system? Are we (US citizens) just stupid? Or is there actually something going on here?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,869 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 March 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

Interesting that 30% of people (In the US?) belive BF is really out there. That is around 100 million people in the US. How can so many be wrong? Is it the bad education system? Are we (US citizens) just stupid? Or is there actually something going on here?

I believe the article offered one plausible answer. There are more answers than your three above.

Besides, these aren't 100 million encounters.

Not sure how the data was collected and from whom and I have problems with polls like this, but I don't doubt some people say "yes" because they haven't considered one logical thought about bigfoot.

Give Finding Bigfoot a chance to dissuade about half of those believers.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 24 March 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#3    _Only

_Only

• 6,547 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 March 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

Not sure how the data was collected and from whom and I have problems with polls like this, but I don't doubt some people say "yes" because they haven't considered one logical thought about bigfoot.

Apparently an online survey of 1,000 people on Springboard America. A site that pays people to take surveys. Wonder how intent many were in answering accurately.

Edited by _Only, 24 March 2012 - 04:19 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#4    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

thanks for the interesting infographic.  I think people want to believe.  I think that the average Tom, Dick, and Mary  want to find something to believe in.  We can't believe in our political system, we can't believe in our economy, we get let down by the shenanigans of idiot celebrities left and right.  The people need something to believe in, why not Bigfoot?  It's kind of a thrilling tale, it's fun to think that we don't know everything there Is to know, and the chances of there being a large, bipedal ape-human out in the woods somewhere seems like a safer bet than believing what any of the next presidential hopefuls will tell ya.

I think in our age of information perhaps all the magic is being drained out of life.  Maybe people believe just to hang on to that little bit of missing magic.  

And now that I put it like that i wonder, what's the harm in that anyway?

Edited by orangepeaceful79, 24 March 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,898 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 March 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

I believe the article offered one plausible answer. There are more answers than your three above.

Besides, these aren't 100 million encounters.

Give Finding Bigfoot a chance to dissuade about half of those believers.
The article was not about encounters, only Belief. True one answer could be that it is simply that people want to believe. But, would that be enough for them to answer a poll that a monster possibly could be real? Maybe...

I think if the entire population of North America watched Finding Bigfoot and was convinced it was bogus, Moneymaker would still celebrate. That would be fantastic weekly ratings!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,898 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 24 March 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

thanks for the interesting infographic.  I think people want to believe.  I think that the average Tom, Dick, and Mary  want to find something to believe in.  We can't believe in our political system, we can't believe in our economy, we get let down by the shenanigans of idiot celebrities left and right.  The people need something to believe in, why not Bigfoot?  It's kind of a thrilling tale, it's fun to think that we don't know everything there Is to know, and the chances of there being a large, bipedal ape-human out in the woods somewhere seems like a safer bet than believing what any of the next presidential hopefuls will tell ya.

I think in our age of information perhaps all the magic is being drained out of life.  Maybe people believe just to hang on to that little bit of missing magic.  

And now that I put it like that i wonder, what's the harm in that anyway?
Have you heard of Joan Ocean? Her site was posted here a couple times. She basically has replaced Jesus, Budda, Mohammad, Krishna, ... What have you... With Bigfoots. She says they are her mentors and are helping her become an enlightened being. And... She lives in Hawaii.

#7    william joseph

william joseph

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

I saw the new episode tonight - According to Ancient Astronaut theorists - Bigfoot is an Alien - no kidding, that is what they said.

#8    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,225 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

View Post_Only, on 24 March 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

Apparently an online survey of 1,000 people on Springboard America. A site that pays people to take surveys. Wonder how intent many were in answering accurately.

That right there is very important, and should not be ignored.......Thank You :yes:   :tu:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#9    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

There are a substantial number of biologists routinely using very sophisticated remote imaging and audio equipment to record deep forest activity. Yet, from these credible sources, have we read of research supportive of bigfoot?  If bigfoot did exist, we could more easily argue that that he/she was some unfortunate person with a generic anomaly, such as hirsutism, who hid in the woods to escape persecution or harassment. And, the rest is just lore.

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,579 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

View Posthighdesert50, on 24 March 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

There are a substantial number of biologists routinely using very sophisticated remote imaging and audio equipment to record deep forest activity. Yet, from these credible sources, have we read of research supportive of bigfoot?  If bigfoot did exist, we could more easily argue that that he/she was some unfortunate person with a generic anomaly, such as hirsutism, who hid in the woods to escape persecution or harassment. And, the rest is just lore.

Good point - folks seem to forget that our "uncharted forests" are full of biologists, entomologists, geologists, etc. etc. and these guys never seem to find any evidence of bigfoot.  Let's also add park rangers, fish & game officers, game wardens, etc.  In other words, experts who are very familiar with the wildlife in the areas in which they work.

Edited by Rafterman, 24 March 2012 - 02:45 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#11    msmike1

msmike1

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Postwilliam joseph, on 24 March 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

I saw the new episode tonight - According to Ancient Astronaut theorists - Bigfoot is an Alien - no kidding, that is what they said.
Yeah, I saw that as well on Ancient Aliens. WOW! is really all I can say. I sat in front of the TV with a confused look on my face for the entire show. I really could not believe that grown, educated people could come up with some of the crap that was spewing from their mouths. Of course whats his name with the funny hair thought everything was an alien, but the rest were coming up with some off the wall stuff. Bigfoot was actually a race of workers created by aliens with human dna to mine precious metals from the earth. They move about through an intricate maze of cave systems under the earth. This is why we don't see them very often. It was interesting to say the least.

Mike

#12    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

yes I do. :D

Posted Image

#13    Zarifa

Zarifa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

I live in the Pacific Northwest. I guess if you have never personally witnessed the evidence, you wouldn't believe. Perhaps they should conduct the poll in our neck of the woods.

#14    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

I wonder if humanity will ever figure this one out so it can be laid to rest?  It seems like the proof that is needed to actually say for certain one way or another will never be forthcoming.  If we haven't laid our collective hands on a squatch that somebody can study at this point I don't really see it getting any more likely. "Finding Bigfoot" is never going to find bigfoot.  

I often wish I lived in the pacific northwest.  Because by all accounts you should be able to see these darned things in the woods all the time up there.

Still though.  Why no bodies?  If squatches are the missing link or even if they aren't, they've been around for a good long time, living and dying. There are way more dead ones out there than live ones if we follow the logic trail.  Where are the bones?  I just have so much trouble believing that an animal exists and mostly what it does is avoid being seen and studied, except for sometimes when it allows a person to see it long enough to take a fuzzy picture or video, and then it disappears without any trace at all.  

People have tried to answer these questions, but no answer is ever any more than speculation.  I would sure love to know what the real answer is, regardless of what it is.  I'm only skeptical of things until someone shows me some evidence that changes my mind.  I'm waiting on that evidence.  So are many of us.

#15    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Posted Image

Interesting that 30% of people (In the US?) belive BF is really out there. That is around 100 million people in the US. How can so many be wrong?

Inversely 60% of Americans do not believe in bigfoot. So at least over half of us paid attention to school courses that taught critical thinking and problem solving skills.

I wonder how these numbers correlate with deeply religious folks (creationists) whom are taught not to question their religious doctrine, or the pseudo scientific drivel they preach? You know the sheep whom follow blindly and believe what they are told to believe despite the facts.

Could we also infer from this study that all men whom believe in bigfoot are democrats and nearly all women whom believe in bigfoot are republicans? That seems very odd to me for some reason.

Perhaps we should start our own poll to see how closely our results would align to this one.          

Is it the bad education system? Are we (US citizens) just stupid? Or is there actually something going on here?

Probably a bit of all of them. I think we are dealing mostly with folks whom get their biological science education from church/the bible and people like Matt Moneytaker.

I do think there is something to this bigfoot phenomena...but I do not think it is bigfoot.

Edited by evancj, 24 March 2012 - 05:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users