Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tracking Belief in Bigfoot

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 05 May 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

But again I ask - why is it even an important question? unless you explained already and I missed it, I didn't see an answer to this when I asked earlier.

I don't have an answer either other than Bigfoot-as-learned-cultural-experience. If Bigfoot was a legitimate undiscovered biological creature then you would expect sightings and interest from a representative cross-section of the broader population but that does not appear to be the case.

I just like to raise the point. It's important to look at the Bigfoot phenomenon from different perspectives and this angle has rarely, if ever, been considered. The whole field is ripe for serious sociological study...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#122    Zarifa

Zarifa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

Living in the Pacific Northwest, I can speak somewhat to the subject of African-Americans being in the minority of witnesses here. First, we have a relatively small populace of Afro-Americans in general, and mostly confined to urban areas. A few do arrive here, usually from other parts of the country, and seek to gain employment in the woods. However, I've worked on several projects for the Forest Service with inter-city Afro-American kids who have never before set foot in the forest, and so were inordinately afraid of lions and tigers and bears. They are not inclined to go out in the woods to recreate, for whatever cultural reasons, at least not in this area. A sampling of Bigfoot studies from the southern states might yield different results. But since the large body of sightings come from the PNW, this might factor into such a statistic. We do have a large populace of Mexican Americans and transient latino workers, who spend a lot of time in the forest, mostly engaged in work of some kind. However, I think that they would be less inclined to report sightings, and language barriers might contribute to that. We do have a large populace of Native-Americans, who freely acknowledge Sasquatch, as it is an ingrained part of their culture. I don't think that they feel the need to try and convince others.

Edited by Zarifa, 19 May 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#123    drpaxton

drpaxton

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

View Postwilliam joseph, on 24 March 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

I saw the new episode tonight - According to Ancient Astronaut theorists - Bigfoot is an Alien - no kidding, that is what they said.

That was the plot of several ^ Million Dollar Man episodes in the 1970s.

Posted Image

#124    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 March 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

http://www.livescien...nfographic.html

Posted Image

Interesting that 30% of people (In the US?) belive BF is really out there. That is around 100 million people in the US. How can so many be wrong? Is it the bad education system? Are we (US citizens) just stupid? Or is there actually something going on here?

It's probably the same reason that 100 million americans claim to have been abducted by aliens. i.e. boring lives & fifteen minutes of fame.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#125    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostNight Walker, on 05 May 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Why? Is it taboo to ask why African-Americans are almost completely absent (1 in 200 or 0.5% from my example) from the 'footer subculture? I don't understand this but like I said - "I'm an ignorant, untravelled Aussie so I would appreciate correction if needed - preferably before I join some African-American forums and ask the same thing". Please explain it to me - I want to understand...

I tend to agree with Zarifa. From what I have experienced with black people, here in Oregon and in the US Army, they generally don't want wilderness recreation, so don't do as much hiking, camping or nature photography. They also tend (in general) to remain in urban centers, and few live on the edges of the urban zones where BF is sometimes spotted. These are my opinions and nothing more.

I think you would find the same kind of percentages within asian populations, as they also are primariy urban. While hispanic/latin peoples probably are well represented, as they work in outdoors positions very often and live in areas on the edge or outside urban zones.

I think we all have the same psycological triggers, just that in blacks maybe it points toward a mugger or bum instead of assuming it is a bigfoot. Maybe they are more rational in that way.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#126    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

View Postdrpaxton, on 27 May 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

That was the plot of several ^ Million Dollar Man episodes in the 1970s.

Posted Image
That was not an alien. It was a robot. I think its head gets knocked off if I remember right. Andre the giant was inside the suit, if I remember right.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users