Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tracking Belief in Bigfoot

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#76    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostGalaxie500, on 27 April 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Zarifa, I believe what you are saying, The one thing I can't figure out is why there are so many skeptics  on a website that deals with mysteries, I guess they have nothing better to do.
You do need to keep a skeptical eye because there are hoaxers, liars and such, not to mention the "wanna-see-it's" who believe anything you post up, even if it's an obvious fake. Instead of taking something at face value, a skeptic will look at it and say, "What's wrong with that?". There's nothing wrong with that and if you adopt that mindset then you'll discover that most is just smoke and mirrors. However, you do occasionally find a pearl.

Edited by keninsc, 28 April 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#77    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostZarifa, on 27 April 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

What's the matter? 'Fraid of a little Bigfoot? Don't go camping in my neck of the woods.

I've been camping in 'your neck of the woods' since before I could even walk, never seen hide nor hair (nor print) of Bigfoot. You see, you're not the only member from Oregon here. ^_^

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#78    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostZarifa, on 27 April 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

We live in the Columbia Gorge, on the border of Oregon. Most of the observations were made in or around the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. It's a beautiful area, and worth the trip, even if you don't find Bigfoot. Happy hunting.

I also live in Oregon...Never seen one, nor know of anyone that even thinks they exist.....

View PostGalaxie500, on 27 April 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Zarifa, I believe what you are saying, The one thing I can't figure out is why there are so many skeptics  on a website that deals with mysteries, I guess they have nothing better to do.

Use the search feature " why do skeptics come here "...There are plenty of topics where we have explained why, and they are very good and legitimate reasons...I used to be a " believer " on a lot of paranormal things.This site helped me with some of them, and taught me how to open my mind and actually do research....I have seen numerous people get help here, by skeptics......Anyway, search around, you might get it.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#79    Tmars78

Tmars78

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 185 posts

• It was all a dream......

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostSakari, on 28 April 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Use the search feature " why do skeptics come here "...There are plenty of topics where we have explained why, and they are very good and legitimate reasons...I used to be a " believer " on a lot of paranormal things.This site helped me with some of them, and taught me how to open my mind and actually do research....I have seen numerous people get help here, by skeptics......Anyway, search around, you might get it.

Exactly. If there were no skeptics here, it would be just a bunch of people sharing unfounded stories. And contrary to popular belief, skeptics want to believe as much as someone who does believe. Us skeptics just use evidence, logical thinking, etc to come to a conclusion that the probability of Bigfoot existing is slim to none. A healthy dose of skepticism is always nice.

#80    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Not only that, but if we all agreed all the time then nobody would learn anything new. True learning comes from conflict, debate and discussion, if all we did was agreed then it's just a big "amen" from everyone. I've had to rethink a number of positions after a heated exchange because in that exchange someone touched on something I'd never considered before and probably wouldn't have considered it left to my own devices.

Conflict and skepticism are not always negatives.

*God I hate having to get the hang of upgraded/updated software*

Edited by keninsc, 28 April 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#81    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 28 April 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

if all we did was agreed then it's just a big "amen" from everyone.

Not to drag this off the deep end but the word "cultish" comes to my mind when you have no dissention. BTDT
And that is scarier than a carnivorous sasquatch with vampire fangs and cloaking capabilities.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#82    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Very true......which is what I think is happening to the "Believers".

And that is scarier than a carnivorous sasquatch with vampire fangs and cloaking capabilities.

OMG! Be careful where you post that or that will be the next type of Squatch we'll be hearing about.

#83    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 29 April 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

Very true......which is what I think is happening to the "Believers".

OMG! Be careful where you post that or that will be the next type of Squatch we'll be hearing about.

Shhhh! He's my little secret...

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#84    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

Oh......oh, ok!

Mum's the word.

:tu:

#85    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 28 April 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

I've been camping in 'your neck of the woods' since before I could even walk, never seen hide nor hair (nor print) of Bigfoot. You see, you're not the only member from Oregon here. ^_^
I have as well, for over 30 years now, and not once have I seen any indication of Bigfoot.  In fact, for about 4 years straight I was involved with the harvesting of various forest products (alder and vine maple poles for the silk tree industry, decorative branches, mosses, firewood, and several other things) on a nearly daily basis, and in the process I spent a great deal of time in a huge number of areas all over the pacific northwest.  Not once did I ever encounter anything that would even remotely suggest the existence of Bigfoot.

#86    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

Well, there's the problem. None of us can find a Bigfoot if you're running around in the woods scaring them away.

Be a bit more considerate would you?

:yes:

#87    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

You're welcome to head on out there and spend as much time as you want waiting for him to show up.  Have a good time. :)

#88    RoadMaster04

RoadMaster04

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

Who Knows,  Bigfoot may not like the smell of some folks,  I don't,!!!    it has already prooved it's smarter than us, it may know your smell, Not Calling no Names ;)

Edited by RoadMaster04, 29 April 2012 - 03:25 AM.

C,T, Jr.

#89    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

If bigfoot is real I think I'd rather have him disliking my smell than the alternative.  But considering that there is no such thing as bigfoot, I don't think I have much to worry about either way.

(edit)
effing v key...
(/edit)

Edited by booNyzarC, 29 April 2012 - 03:46 AM.

#90    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

View PostTmars78, on 28 April 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Exactly. If there were no skeptics here, it would be just a bunch of people sharing unfounded stories. And contrary to popular belief, skeptics want to believe as much as someone who does believe. Us skeptics just use evidence, logical thinking, etc to come to a conclusion that the probability of Bigfoot existing is slim to none. A healthy dose of skepticism is always nice.

I agree with what you've said except for one thing. As a skeptic I want to know, not just believe :tu: . On that note, personal accounts and sketchy evidence don't bring me any closer to knowing anything about Bigfoot other than just how credulous some people can be.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users