Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hope of a 'pain-free needle'

Still Waters

Who would argue with a pain-free injection?

Nobody loves the thought of a needle piercing their skin, least of all doctors and dentists who have to deal with stressed and anxious patients.

Scientists have been working on this problem for a while, but a young British inventor based in Somerset may have come up with the solution.

Oliver Blackwell's device looks like the typical syringes used in hospitals and doctors' surgeries around the country, with one crucial difference.

On the front is a much smaller needle which injects a tiny amount of local anaesthetic to ease the pain of the larger needle which follows.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• Still Waters

• JGirl

• bouncer

In my experience, doctors don't "deal" with a stressed or anxious patient. I've always just been ignored, the implication being "suck it up".

I have no fear of injections but I don't like to watch them being done, so I always turn my head away.

I thought they were getting very close to inventing a hypospray, like the Star Trek universe uses. No pain is ideal, although I hear this version still hurts, the medicine being air-forced into the flesh.

And they will be twice as expensive as a regular needle,because its now 2 needles,and an added medication,which also poses an allergy precaution .

Not to mention the fact,anesthetic injectables,do not work instantly.

If the second needle goes in immediately ,no way with there be an effect yet.

The smaller the needle,the less it hurts.

There are completely pain free acupuncture needles,because of their size and construction .

What I did when drawing blood,or giving injections,was instead of using an 18g needle,which hurts in some cases,is use a 20 or 22 gauge.For blood drawing that is.

And for injections,where feasible,use a gauge one smaller,than usually used.

It's more work,and takes longer,but hurts a whole lot less.

I see this thing,as nothing more than a money making gimmick,with questionable efficacy.

I thought they were getting very close to inventing a hypospray, like the Star Trek universe uses. No pain is ideal, although I hear this version still hurts, the medicine being air-forced into the flesh.

Well, the jet-injector has been in used for several decades at this point (I got about 8 shots in 2 minutes with it in boot camp). It hurts, but more like a punch in the arm than the sneaky, insidious, needle pinch. It's a more honest, manly, type of hurt.

But the world of hypodermic technology is pretty interesting. Awaiting human testing are some novelties. There is a mist vaccine, which atomized the vaccine into water droplets, which allows them to be inhaled directly into the lungs, where the water evaporates and the vaccines enters directly into the blood. There is also a patch with dozens of micro-needles which pierce, but do not penetrate the skin, slowly delivering their dose in that manner, providing a self-applicable vaccination. There is a new "hypospray" in development, in which the "hypodermic" is actually a laser flashlight sort of thing. In labs, vaccines are often tested in micro-doses by using small gold beads to carry the dose into the subject. This laser takes advantage of the properties of the gold to speed them up radically, and shoot the micro-gold beads through the epidermis. Apparently, the touch of the flashlight triggers more sensory stimulation than the actual beads, meaning that you are more likely to complain the flashlight is cold against your skin than the injection itself.

But for me, I like the solutions mother nature has come up with best. Various bugs, most famously the mosquito, can stick their proboscis deep into the skin often without alerting their victims. The reason for this is simple: the proboscis of the mosquito is not smooth, like a needle, but rather serrated. Whereas the needle's smooth skin provides continuous contact and irritation with nerve endings, the serrated needle only has contact points were the serrations touch the skin, dramatically reducing nerve stimulation.

The downside is that the serrated needles, while painless...looks pretty much like one would expect a serrated needle to look like. And it doesn't look painless.

Edited by aquatus1

Close? How about 2008? http://gizmodo.com/5056025/better-than-hypospray-japanese-inventor-creates-needle+free-painless-injection

Ive never been afraid of needles either, its all psychological and a bit silly really to 'fear' a needle-prick.

last time I cut my hand open, deeply, on a can lid, I had to go for stitches. I asked the nurse if she was going to anesthetize the wound first, she simply said "No point"...you'll still feel the needle to anesthetize you, and Im only giving you 2 stitches!

Plus put it this way, I DO have issues with dentists, I cant abide tooth work and cleaning as my teeth are very sensitive, so I always ask for an injection first. Or 2. The way I see it, if the discomfort of a needle in my gums for 2 seconds, will STOP the pain of dentistry for 20 minutes, then its a no brainer what I choose!!

Yeah!!!....all good in theory......but i have like most....had many blood tests.........the good ones hurt.....slightly...and leave no bruises or marks.......then not 3 weeks ago had one done by a guy......and when i said i'm sorry i cant look(he replied no prob...either can i!!!....i said u better not seeing how your the one doing it,lol)!!!!.....jokes aside......i was left with a junkie looking arm for 2 weeks.........there aint no pain free...

Edited by cluey

This is a BIG SCAM! They don't want that needle because it's painless. Here's THE REAL REASON. Many people around the world Are Rejecting The Poisonous VACCINES so they want to create a Needle that WILL INJECT YOU WITH A SUBSTANCE That You DO NOT WANT! What better way of getting people to take a product that they reject? They will say "You won't feel a thing. It's Painless" or you will get Injected ANYWHERE and you won't know until IT IS TOO LATE! They always pull this crap by saying it's for the good of mankind. I Call **EDIT**

**Your attempts to bypass the profanity filters are not appreciated. See if you can discuss the topic in an adult and civil manner.**

Edited by aquatus1

I generally do not feel any pain associated with any injection, except for a sore arm muscle after the fact.

This is a BIG SCAM! They don't want that needle because it's painless. Here's THE REAL REASON. Many people around the world Are Rejecting The Poisonous VACCINES so they want to create a Needle that WILL INJECT YOU WITH A SUBSTANCE That You DO NOT WANT! What better way of getting people to take a product that they reject? They will say "You won't feel a thing. It's Painless" or you will get Injected ANYWHERE and you won't know until IT IS TOO LATE! They always pull this crap by saying it's for the good of mankind. I Call **EDIT**

may i ask what causes you to believe this? sorry, but your comments are more than a bit paranoid.

why would they need to force something into a person that way when they could introduce it into the air or your food etc

Edited by aquatus1

may i ask what causes you to believe this? sorry, but your comments are more than a bit paranoid.

why would they need to force something into a person that way when they could introduce it into the air or your food etc

Ha yeh I thought that, just didn't want to encourage a conversation tho! :mellow:

I generally do not feel any pain associated with any injection, except for a sore arm muscle after the fact.

It's not even the pain for me, it's just that feeling of a needle slithering through your skin. Creeps me out.

It's not even the pain for me, it's just that feeling of a needle slithering through your skin. Creeps me out.

For me, it's getting an inexperienced nurse that has to dig for a vein. <_< That only happened one time, and I tell them now, they better give me someone that knows what they are doing.

Not to mention the fact,anesthetic injectables,do not work instantly.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Maybe not "instantly" yes, but the needle in the article looks like it has a needle attached to the end of it and then the larger gauge needle that then slides down behind it. I had a Biopsy done last week, with a surface anaesthetic followed by a deeper one along the path he would be using for the biopsy needle. He injected the two anaesthetics with a very short span between them, and the surface anaesthetic was already in full effect when he went in for the second one. I didn't feel a thing on the second one at all.

However, thinking back on it, I think the temporary burn of the anaesthetic itself was as bad if not worse than the needle putting it in. So on that side, yeah it would be kind of pointless.

I'm very tolerant to pain though (not as much now that I'm getting older however) and couldn't help but laugh when they told me they were using a 25 gauge needle so I may not be the best example. I also have had 20 piercings, mostly with 14 gauge needles, and somewhere around 40 tattoos... soo......

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

However, thinking back on it, I think the temporary burn of the anaesthetic itself was as bad if not worse than the needle putting it in. So on that side, yeah it would be kind of pointless.

For me, it is similar to the jet injector; if anything the punch-in-the-arm feeling hurt more than the needle, but I prefer it to the sliding, finer, weird feeling of a needle.

I don't think it's worth funding a lot of money for further research. People should just deal with the needle. All it feels like, is a little prick, like someone pinching you VERY softly. And the after feeling of it, is kinda like being punched in the arm. But then again, for toddlers and little children they could make it. There's advantages for both points I've made.

Why not simply tell people to chill the hell down when going for a shot? It's only a psychological issue.

Or go ahead with another shot.

"Sir, in order to ease your pain for upcoming vaccination, we will need to inject this anesthetic directly into your skull. Don't worry, we only need to reach your pineal gland."

Edited by JayMark