Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Genetic flaw that turns flu into a killer

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,624 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

A genetic discovery could help explain why flu makes some people seriously ill or kills them, while others seem able to bat it away with little more than a few aches, coughs and sneezes.

British and American researchers said they had found for the first time a human gene that influences how people respond to flu infections, making some people more susceptible than others.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

*face palm*
Oh god.....its everything BUT the vaccines.
Now it's our genes....

Miss me?

#3    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

View Postmissymoo999, on 27 March 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

*face palm*
Now it's our genes....

Its always been our genes.  What would vaccines have to do with it?

#4    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

View Postmissymoo999, on 27 March 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

*face palm*
Now it's our genes....

This article is addressing why the same flu virus is more deadly to certain people.

It has nothing to do with vaccines or how they get the virus in the first place.

Edited by karmakazi, 27 March 2012 - 02:15 PM.

If I had something witty to say, my signature would be a lot funnier.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Wow...
Umm,no.
The flu vaccine is deadly in some people,and claiming its our genes,is much more convenient than admitting the vaccines have deadly ingredients that some people tollerate better than others.
With all tue bad press vaccines get nowadays,an article like this will make everyone run out for some new gene test im sure is on the way,so they know if they are safe from their own genes!
I dare say everyone will come back with healthy genes,and can all get the shots they so desperately want to gie us.

That's the biggest snow job I've ever seen ,but if people want to believe it's our genes,mazel tov.

Miss me?

#6    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

View Postmissymoo999, on 27 March 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Wow...
Umm,no.
The flu vaccine is deadly in some people,and claiming its our genes,is much more convenient than admitting the vaccines have deadly ingredients that some people tollerate better than others.
With all tue bad press vaccines get nowadays,an article like this will make everyone run out for some new gene test im sure is on the way,so they know if they are safe from their own genes!
I dare say everyone will come back with healthy genes,and can all get the shots they so desperately want to gie us.

That's the biggest snow job I've ever seen ,but if people want to believe it's our genes,mazel tov.

Again, reading with a little less bias can lead to amazing understanding of a subject.  These people did not get vaccines, they got the flu.  Some people get a very mild case even though they were not exposed to the antigens previously and some people get so sick they need to go to the hospital.  The difference between the two groups is a gene.  Does that help clarify anything for you?

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

I posted this on all the health freedom groups I belong to.We are all pealing with laughter .
I'm sorry.Honestly .I apologise for my lack of open mindedness about this stuff,but I know too much to the contrary ,about how they work,to take it seriously .Its a way to manipulate the public into thinking vaccines are safe,and somehow now our own bodies are the problem.
It's a wee bit convenient,and I believe nothing they say anymore.
Can't help it.
They will develop a very expensive,covered by your insurance natch,test,to see if your genes are the vaccine friendly ones.
The test will be done in office( despite almost all genetic testing needing at least 24-48 hours to do ),and your results in minutes.

Like the h1n1 test,your doc will be able to tell you immediately,that you can take this vaccine.
It restores the publics confidence in vaccines,and the additional test will double the doctors insurance bill.
It's far too convenient ,but hey,what do I know .
:w00t:

Miss me?

#8    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• 1,190 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

I think you are completely misunderstanding the article and because of that your argument is irrelevant.

You seem to think the article (and research) is blaming deaths from flu vaccine on genetics.

View Postmissymoo999, on 27 March 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

They will develop a very expensive,covered by your insurance natch,test,to see if your genes are the vaccine friendly ones.
The test will be done in office( despite almost all genetic testing needing at least 24-48 hours to do ),and your results in minutes.

Like the h1n1 test,your doc will be able to tell you immediately,that you can take this vaccine.
It restores the publics confidence in vaccines,and the additional test will double the doctors insurance bill.

Both the bolded statements I've noted have absolutely no basis in what the article says.  What were you reading to get these ideas?  Or did you just look at the title of the article and jump to conclusions?

However, the article says genetics could play a role in deaths from the flu virus not the vaccine.  The only reason vaccination comes up is because they are saying that knowing the genetic markers could help a person to know if there is even a need consider vaccination.  For most there would not be as the vast majority of people can fight off the flu just fine on their own.

The implications of this is that fewer people would need the vaccination because anyone tested negative for the gene (and it is rare) would know that they do not need to be vaccinated because they do not have the genetic marker!!! This helps your cause yet you act as if we are laughable because you don't comprehend it.

Edited by karmakazi, 28 March 2012 - 12:16 AM.

If I had something witty to say, my signature would be a lot funnier.

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

I posted this on all the health freedom groups I belong to.We are all pealing with laughter .
I'm sorry.Honestly .I apologise for my lack of open mindedness about this stuff,but I know too much to the contrary ,about how they work,to take it seriously .Its a way to manipulate the public into thinking vaccines are safe,and somehow now our own bodies are the problem.
Can't help it.
They will develope a very expensive,covered by your insurance natch,test,to see if your genes are the vaccine friendly ones.

I think you've shown your knowledge of vaccines to be less than satisfactory in other threads.
This article is a about genes, not vaccines.

From the article;

Study leader Paul Kellam of Britain's Sanger Institute said the gene, called ITFITM3, appeared to be a 'crucial first line of defence' against flu.

When IFITM3 was present in large quantities, the spread of the virus in lungs was hindered, he explained. But when IFITM3 levels were lower, the virus could replicate and spread more easily, causing more severe symptoms.

People who carried a particular variant of IFTIM3 were far more likely to be taken into hospital when they got flu than people who carried other variants, he added.

'Our research is important for people who have this variant as we predict their immune defences could be weakened to some virus infections,' Kellam said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1qMxlkuLX

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#10    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

Can't help it.
They will develope a very expensive,covered by your insurance natch,test,to see if your genes are the vaccine friendly ones.

Are you sure they are not laughing at your lack of comprehension?

#11    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm sorry, why are we supposed to care what a bunch of ignorant nutjobs think about a tangential issue? I suppose you might attempt to learn a little about genetic epidemiology if you hadn't already made up your mind that it's all a big conspiracy.

Edited by Cybele, 28 March 2012 - 07:20 AM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

Yes,it my lack of vaccine knowledge that's the issue here....I'm the one who knows nothing about it .
:rolleyes:

Pealing with laughter......its hysterical to someone that actually has a clue....and there's quite a lot of us in my world

:rofl:

Miss me?

#13    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

View Postmissymoo999, on 28 March 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

Yes,it my lack of vaccine knowledge that's the issue here....I'm the one who knows nothing about it .

No, the issue is that you cry government/big pharma conspiracy every time you see an article mentioning an infectious disease or the word "vaccine"--even when it makes absolutely no sense given the content of the article.

View Postkarmakazi, on 28 March 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

The implications of this is that fewer people would need the vaccination because anyone tested negative for the gene (and it is rare) would know that they do not need to be vaccinated because they do not have the genetic marker!!! This helps your cause yet you act as if we are laughable because you don't comprehend it.

Edited by Cybele, 28 March 2012 - 08:25 AM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#14    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

View Postmissymoo999, on 28 March 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

:rolleyes:

Pealing with laughter......its hysterical to someone that actually has a clue....and there's quite a lot of us in my world

:rofl:

It is actually not even funny, it is sad that you think you know something when you actually know less than the average person.

#15    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Some are more susceptible to viruses and illnesses as a result of a low, or compromised, immune system. A lot of sicknesses can kill you if they are left untreated. hell, a simple knick from a knife could kill you.

Edited by Alienated Being, 28 March 2012 - 12:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users