Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 1 votes

Chocolate 'may help keep people slim'

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,707 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

People who eat chocolate regularly tend to be thinner, new research suggests.

The findings come from a study of nearly 1,000 US people that looked at diet, calorie intake and body mass index (BMI) - a measure of obesity.

It found those who ate chocolate a few times a week were, on average, slimmer than those who ate it occasionally.

Even though chocolate is loaded with calories, it contains ingredients that may favour weight loss rather than fat synthesis, scientists believe.

Linky

:w00t:  I am in heaven!  LOL....7-11 is still open.....

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,459 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

I want to go on record and say my own experiments suggest that this is absolute rubbish :cry: .  I do really, really wish it could be true tho :innocent: .

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,707 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 27 March 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

I want to go on record and say my own experiments suggest that this is absolute rubbish :cry: .  I do really, really wish it could be true tho :innocent: .

Any excuse to eat chocolate works for me!   I'll let you know if I still feel that way in a couple of months...:P

#4    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,459 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 27 March 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Any excuse to eat chocolate works for me!   I'll let you know if I still feel that way in a couple of months...:P

Hehe, I'll hold out and look forward to good news then - you can let us all know what we did wrong by then :devil:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#5    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Chocolate does not make you fat.......... It shrinks clothes :)

#6    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Funny I did lose ten lbs in February when asked what I dis differently I said I ate chocolate. A large amount of chocolate. Daily in February ... now I read this... could be could be...
I've been put of chocolate for three weeks now and I think I've gained a couple pounds back... hrmmmm....

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#7    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 27 March 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

Chocolate does not make you fat.......... It shrinks clothes :)
I thought so...I am pretty sure it turns the heat up higher in the clothes dryer somehow...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#8    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,885 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

I love chocolate too, but sadly I'm finding this one very difficult to believe. Chocolate contains sugar and fat...and is high in calories. But, the article does say that there might se something about chocolate that favours weight loss:

Dr Golomb and her team believe that antioxidant compounds, called catechins, can improve lean muscle mass and reduce weight - at least studies in rodents would suggest this might be so.

Mice fed for 15 days with epicatechin (present in dark chocolate) had improved exercise performance and observable changes to their muscle composition.

But, it also says:

While there's no harm in allowing yourself a treat like chocolate now and again, eating too much might be harmful because it often contains a lot of sugar and fat too.

And if you are looking to change your diet, you are likely to benefit most from eating more fresh fruits and vegetables.

So, perhaps we need to eat a really healthy diet with small amounts of chocolate verses a mega-chocolate 'pig out' kinda diet?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#9    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Eating chocolate in moderation is not that different from eating other foods. Portion control folks!

#10    Ahkronn

Ahkronn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Careful with that assumption.

Sure Chocolate may help you keep slim, but note that we're talking about Cacao, not the typical chocolate bar, filled with sugars (natural or synthetic) and other crap.

Cacao is an energetic, and like coffee, it will increase your metabolism, thus burning more calories.

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hmmmm I dunno If I can beleive this

All I know is ..I was a smoker before I found I was pregnant...I knew that eating chocolate once a month  brought out my relaxing happy hormones.. So Instead of smoking to feel happy and relaxed during pregnancy..I sit and eat  chocolate... Not by he heap   but every so often And when I do..OHHHHH SWEET LORD IT IS HEAVEN ..My baby likes it too...he kicks like crazy  lol

Could chocolate have helped me give up the smoking?  Well put it  this way.. I cannot bare to look at ciggy smoke when pregnant.....But I can look at chocolate  not a problem Posted Image

But the slimming part and eating chocolate... I still find hard to believe

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 27 March 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#12    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,707 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostAhkronn, on 27 March 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Careful with that assumption.

Sure Chocolate may help you keep slim, but note that we're talking about Cacao, not the typical chocolate bar, filled with sugars (natural or synthetic) and other crap.

Cacao is an energetic, and like coffee, it will increase your metabolism, thus burning more calories.

Yes, sadly, it is true, the darker the chocolate the better it is for you.  It is bitter, but you can aquire a taste for it!

#13    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 27 March 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

Linky

:w00t:  I am in heaven!  LOL....7-11 is still open.....
i must be doing it wrong.
ah well, i'll keep trying  :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users