Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Does telepathy conflict with science ?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,729 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

IMO, telepathy can be proven by science.  How many of us have had brushes with telepathy?  Has science not explained other instances that were supposedly bunk?  What about lunatics?  People who went crazy when the moon was full?  Now, scientists have come to the conclusion that the metals in our body and the gravity of the moon can affect some people more than others and alter their persona during a full moon.  I think that we used to use telepathy a lot more before technology took off.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#17    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,729 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

*sorry double post*

Edited by glorybebe, 27 March 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#18    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Great article. Very relevant to cryptozoology as well with people experiencing the 'feeling of being watched' by spooky shadows in the woods etc.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#19    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 27 March 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

IMO, telepathy can be proven by science.  How many of us have had brushes with telepathy?  Has science not explained other instances that were supposedly bunk?  What about lunatics?  People who went crazy when the moon was full?  Now, scientists have come to the conclusion that the metals in our body and the gravity of the moon can affect some people more than others and alter their persona during a full moon.  I think that we used to use telepathy a lot more before technology took off.

Nice post. I also think our technology, despite beeing awesome and useful, dumb us down at some level. Animals for instance seem to have a much more developed "sixth sense" that most of us do. And they certainly do not watch TV like we do and try to make their life so much easier with technology like we do.

Just a thought. Nothing too scientific there I concur.

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#20    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#21    Mysterydude551

Mysterydude551

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

We are not advanced enough to even think about trying anything to do with it. Our technology has not reached its full potential yet. I heard a while ago there's some small part of our brain that could maybe get humans to have some sort of telepathic powers. But it seems far too out there at this point in time.

#22    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Interesting article. Nice read.

#23    Landry

Landry

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

So ... "Does telepathy conflict with science?" Apparently not. Does telepathy conflict with materialistic ideology? Now that's another question! Posted Image

#24    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Apart from the article in the OP (which is an opinion piece and devoid of any actual references) I can't find any mention of sceptics of PSI being converted to believers - and certainly not Richard Wiseman.

Other than that, it's a bit of a 'nothing' article.

Does the idea of telepathy conflict with Science? Probably not. But it should be investigated with same rigour and standards of 'proof' as any other scientific phenomenon.

And why would the existence of telepathy turn the laws of physics upside down? The universe and it's 'laws' have proven to be "not only stranger than we imagined, but stranger than we can imagine".   I'm no expert (not even close), but I'm aware that we don't have a comprehensive view of all the laws of physics that knit all of it together right down to the smallest sub-atomic particle - which, incidentally, is something else we're currently ignorant of, in all probability.

So, why wouldn't anyone accept the possibility of extra sensory experiences? Of course, accepting the possibility and believing it likely, are two very different things.

#25    KnockoutMouse

KnockoutMouse

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

"Garbage."

"Wasted money."

It never ceases to amaze me.

#26    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,428 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:34 AM

View PostLandry, on 29 March 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

So ... "Does telepathy conflict with science?" Apparently not. Does telepathy conflict with materialistic ideology? Now that's another question! Posted Image
Posted Image

#27    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,729 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

View PostJayMark, on 27 March 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Nice post. I also think our technology, despite beeing awesome and useful, dumb us down at some level. Animals for instance seem to have a much more developed "sixth sense" that most of us do. And they certainly do not watch TV like we do and try to make their life so much easier with technology like we do.

Just a thought. Nothing too scientific there I concur.

I remember getting that raising of the hiri on the back of my neck and then I smelled one of the worst smells I had ever smelled....there was a momma bear and her cubs upwind of us.  I don't think we have lost the ability, I think it has gone dormant.  Sooner or later IMO, there will be a scientific break through that will if not prove will at least increase the probability of telepathy.

#28    Landry

Landry

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 30 March 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

Posted Image

Wikipedia: "To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position"

So do you feel that I've constructed a strawman? How so?
I re-stated the original question, "does telepathy conflict with science?" ... and my answer, "apparently not" ... based on the content of the article. Then I proposed another question, "does telepathy conflict with materialist ideology?"  ... Well doesn't it? In any case it's just a question.

Wikipedia: "the theory of materialism holds that the only thing that exists is matter or energy; that all things are composed of material and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions"

What original proposition was I attempting to create the illusion of having refuted?

Edited by Landry, 30 March 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#29    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,135 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostLandry, on 30 March 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Wikipedia: "To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position"

So do you feel that I've constructed a strawman? How so?
I re-stated the original question, "does telepathy conflict with science?" ... and my answer, "apparently not" ... based on the content of the article. Then I proposed another question, "does telepathy conflict with materialist ideology?"  ... Well doesn't it? In any case it's just a question.

Wikipedia: "the theory of materialism holds that the only thing that exists is matter or energy; that all things are composed of material and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions"

What original proposition was I attempting to create the illusion of having refuted?
Oh... Landry I have been over this very subject with him at least half a dozen times. Don't even engage it. It is a road to nowhere. Or Mabey you will have better luck than I. Anything he dosnt agree with is a straw man. He loves to say it.

Edited by Seeker79, 30 March 2012 - 05:53 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#30    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,428 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

View PostLandry, on 30 March 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Someone like you doesn't need to act dumb. You know quite well the misconceptions you've portrayed in your blogs.

For example, you demand materialists to explain how materalism is correct after a lame attempt of pretending to refute it with quantum quackery (something you like too Seeker79? ).

Edited by Rlyeh, 31 March 2012 - 06:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users