Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Does telepathy conflict with science ?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,120 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 30 March 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Oh... Landry I have been over this very subject with him at least half a dozen times. Don't even engage it. It is a road to nowhere. Or Mabey you will have better luck than I. Anything he dosnt agree with is a straw man. He loves to say it.
Do you recall claiming materialist ideology states the universe repeats? Or are you going to deny it again?

I'll refresh your memory; http://www.unexplain...howtopic=220808

You must love the taste of your foot, because it keeps ending up in your mouth.

Edited by Rlyeh, 31 March 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#32    Landry

Landry

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• Skeptical of institutionalized pseudo-skepticism

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 31 March 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

Someone like you doesn't need to act dumb. You know quite well the misconceptions you've portrayed in your blogs.

For example, you demand materialists to explain how materalism is correct after a lame attempt of pretending to refute it with quantum quackery (something you like too Seeker79? ).

At the risk of straying too far from the topic at hand ... if you don't understand what constitutes a strawman argument, then how can you seriously suggest that you are able to comprehend the material I cover in my blog postings? I invite anyone to read my blog and decide for themselves. My purpose is to initiate a thought process free of psychological and cognitive conditioning. I won't speculate here what your purpose and methods entail, but I think you're getting dangerously close to making that apparent to everyone.

This comment section is not the place for carrying forward a personal vendetta against me. Please get back on topic if you have anything to contribute.

"The ontology of materialism rested upon the illusion that the kind of existence, the direct "actuality" of the world around us can be extrapolated into the atomic range. This extrapolation is impossible however."
Werner Heisenberg

#33    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,120 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostLandry, on 31 March 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

At the risk of straying too far from the topic at hand ... if you don't understand what constitutes a strawman argument, then how can you seriously suggest that you are able to comprehend the material I cover in my blog postings? I invite anyone to read my blog and decide for themselves. My purpose is to initiate a thought process free of psychological and cognitive conditioning. I won't speculate here what your purpose and methods entail, but I think you're getting dangerously close to making that apparent to everyone.

This comment section is not the place for carrying forward a personal vendetta against me. Please get back on topic if you have anything to contribute.

Do you make it a habit to not read, or is that too a part of your crusade against materialism?

I suppose making dishonest statements does invoke some kind of thought process, though I wouldn't glorify it as you have.

#34    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,186 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 31 March 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

Do you recall claiming materialist ideology states the universe repeats? Or are you going to deny it again?

I'll refresh your memory; http://www.unexplain...howtopic=220808

You must love the taste of your foot, because it keeps ending up in your mouth.
It is a possibility and probable consequence of materialism ( I'm not a materialist).... But you seem to not know what white board discussion is. Enough thread derailing.

Edited by Seeker79, 31 March 2012 - 02:56 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#35    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,120 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 31 March 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

It is a possibility and probable consequence of materialism ( I'm not a materialist).... But you seem to not know what white board discussion is. Enough thread derailing.
Actually it was Lenord Susskind's view (hypothesis), a view not all materialists hold; you still felt the need to dictate their view for them anyway.

Edited by Rlyeh, 31 March 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#36    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,186 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 31 March 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Actually it was Lenord Susskind's view (hypothesis), a view not all materialists hold; you still felt the need to dictate their view for them anyway.
Uggggg I'm dictating anything to anyone. Did you read through that thread? Materialists had their heads handed to them. Even our so called life long scientist did not really even understand relativity. That very discussion highlights the truth of landrys blogs. But let's pic it up there if you want to continue.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#37    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,120 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 31 March 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Uggggg I'm dictating anything to anyone. Did you read through that thread? Materialists had their heads handed to them. Even our so called life long scientist did not really even understand relativity. That very discussion highlights the truth of landrys blogs. But let's pic it up there if you want to continue.
Yes I did read it. You used one man's idea and basically told all other materialists to accept Leonard Susskind's hypothesis because thats what their view really states.

Strange that you quickly dropped it when this was pointed out to you. But you still clearly think this hypothesis speaks for all materialists.

#38    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,032 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

Back on topic please

Rlyeh if you have something to add regarding a member's blog then the best place to post it is in the blog comments area.

#39    Tinker6785ab

Tinker6785ab

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

its possible.

#40    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,047 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostTinker6785ab, on 03 April 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

its possible.
Because of all anecdotes? Following that line, tooth fairies are "possible"...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#41    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Rupert Sheldrake wrote an interesting book, The Sense of Being Stared At, in which he talks about some of the studies done in this area. Re: ESP, most of of the evidence WOULD be anecdotal because there are so few scientific studies on this topic. Certainly there are people in my life who have repeatedly demonstrated their integrity, so that I would give some weight to their anecdotal evidence; I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, nor think that because I haven't had the same experience theirs must be bogus/invented/halluncinatory.

The same is true on this forum. There are some posters I've determined have a higher credibility factor than others, whether I agree or disagree with them, based on their posts, their responses, what they have revealed about themselves, their thoughfulness, etc. And, as I said earlier, I am unwilling to dismiss the validity of my personal experiences based on someone's else's knowledge, beliefs, or experiences. That said, I am always open to explanations, new information, knowledge, that increases my understanding and enables me to think more in-depth about a topic.

#42    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,676 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostBeany, on 27 March 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

A thing doesn't need scientific evidence or explanation to exist, i.e. dark matter.

True but it DOES need scince in order to understand it rather than fantasy laden, bunny fluff. This, I fear, is what is being actively avoided by so-called "believers" because many seem to want a flashy, mystical and even magical explanation for such things as "telepathy". Because some seem to fear that a scientific, rational and mundane explanation would spoil its existence (providing it really does exist)

It is true we do not understand the human brain in its entirety but maybe at some point we'll discover that all these flashy, "speshul powers" are nothing but completely normal and mundane functions.

#43    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

I'm not sure to what the terms fantasy laden, bunny fluff refers to. Re: ESP, some of us are just waiting for science to catch up. Scientific understanding of it would change how people think about it, but wouldn't have any effect on the experience itself. But in the greater scheme of things, science has much more important work to do then studying ESP or any other phenomena. Unless of course, someone figured out it has a possible military or commercial application. Then they'd be all over it.

#44    John from Lowell

John from Lowell

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

• Self Love Unlocks the Magic Inside

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostBeany, on 03 April 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

Rupert Sheldrake wrote an interesting book, The Sense of Being Stared At, in which he talks about some of the studies done in this area. Re: ESP, most of of the evidence WOULD be anecdotal because there are so few scientific studies on this topic. Certainly there are people in my life who have repeatedly demonstrated their integrity, so that I would give some weight to their anecdotal evidence; I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, nor think that because I haven't had the same experience theirs must be bogus/invented/halluncinatory.

The same is true on this forum. There are some posters I've determined have a higher credibility factor than others, whether I agree or disagree with them, based on their posts, their responses, what they have revealed about themselves, their thoughfulness, etc. And, as I said earlier, I am unwilling to dismiss the validity of my personal experiences based on someone's else's knowledge, beliefs, or experiences. That said, I am always open to explanations, new information, knowledge, that increases my understanding and enables me to think more in-depth about a topic.

I found this study to be very informative.

http://www.unexplain...-Telepathy.html

I hope you like it as much as I did.

John

What We Are Never Changes !!

Who We Are Is Always Changing !!!

#45    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 30 March 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

I don't think we have lost the ability, I think it has gone dormant.  

That's exactly what I think. Right on!

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users