Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Super-Earths 'in the billions'

exoplanets super-earths life red dwarfs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,116 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

There could be many billions of planets not much bigger than Earth circling faint stars in our galaxy, says an international team of astronomers.

The estimate for the number of "super-Earths" is based on detections already made and then extrapolated to include the Milky Way's population of so-called red dwarf stars.

The team works with the high-precision Harps instrument.

This is fitted to the 3.6m telescope at the Silla Observatory in Chile.

Harps employs an indirect method of detection that infers the existence of orbiting planets from the way their gravity makes a parent star appear to twitch in its motion across the sky.

Posted Image Read more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 09 June 2012 - 01:26 PM.
Added tags

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    kaptn k

kaptn k

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Other Life?

That's what makes a new report by a group of European astronomers so exciting. Working at the European Southern Observatory in Chile, the scientists have completed a survey of 102 M-dwarf stars and identified a total of nine "super-Earths" -- planets up to 10 times larger than Earth -- circling them. Two of the nine lie in their stars' habitable zones, the Goldilocks region where temperatures are not too hot, not too cold, but just right for liquid water and thus, conceivably, for the existence of life. In the case of an M-dwarf, the star's cooler, dimmer fires mean that the Goldilocks zone is closer than it is around our hotter, brighter sun, but the water principle remains the same. And if you do the math for the entire galaxy, the recent survey means that tens of billions of Goldilocks planets are peppered throughout the Milky Way, with a hundred or so just in our solar system's immediate neighborhood.

Scientists are still trying to determin if there is intelligent life in Washington but that's another can o' worms.  :blink:

The American dream................never got a proper burial.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,116 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

I am going to move this topic to the Astronomy and Astrophysics forum, and merge it with the pre-existing topic on the subject.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    space11498

space11498

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• I AM CURIOUS AND AN AMATEUR RESEARCHER.I AM SOMETIMES NAUGHTY TOO...

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

But if life can exist in unhabitable conditions on earth itself, then why can't every planet in the universe should have some or the other form of life.For ex,life can survive in high as well as low temperatures and even in acidic and alkaline conditions. :tu:
If I am wrong , please correct me.

"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain."- Dave Matthews Band
"It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend"- William Blake
"Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die."- Amelia Burr
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."- Marie Curie
"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit."- Shakespeare

#5    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

I believe as more and more information becomes available, due to our advancing technology and scientific equipment, we will find that we are not so special, just one of billions of lifeforms spread across the expanse of space.

#6    space11498

space11498

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• I AM CURIOUS AND AN AMATEUR RESEARCHER.I AM SOMETIMES NAUGHTY TOO...

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

You are right Kryso.
And the evolution will be such that there may be some life form that will be more intelligent than man.Like we have monkey-origin,that life form will have humans as its origin.
Can this happen?
If I am wrong , please correct me.

"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain."- Dave Matthews Band
"It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend"- William Blake
"Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die."- Amelia Burr
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."- Marie Curie
"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit."- Shakespeare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users