Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Europe’s 3rd cargo vehicle docks with the ISS

automated transfer vehicle atv edoardo amaldi iss esa

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

ESA’s ATV Edoardo Amaldi has completed the first stage of its docking with the Russian Zvezda module of the International Space Station.

The docking occurred smoothly when ATV’s docking probe was captured by Zvezda’s docking cone at 00:31 CEST ( 22:31 GMT).

The docking probe is now retracting, to be followed by the hooks between the two craft closing.The data and electrical connections will then be established.

The 20-tonne vessel, flying autonomously while being continuously monitored from the ground, docked with the 450-tonne orbital complex with a precision of 6 cm as they circled Earth at more than 28 000 km/hr.

Posted Image Read more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 25 September 2012 - 08:24 PM.
Added tags

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    L5K

L5K

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Was trying to find a window for a pass here in uk, for a viewing of near docking but was a no go. Glad it all went to plan. Any reason ESA was used this time?

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Video  :)

http://www.dailymail...ific-Ocean.html

Posted Image

#4    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,846 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 09 April 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

That is one great screen Can you just look at our thin little safety blanket of an atmosphere and all the lights looking up over the Indian ocean at night?
Wonderful indeed.  Thanks Still Waters for diggin that one up. Ive really got to get back to NASA T,V, and see if they are covering the ISS and all these re-sullpies. Man I miss our Shuttle`s
justDONTEATUS :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#5    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

They are being built at my birthplace, Bremen. In 2009 their facilities had been open to the public for a few days, that was a truly fascinating visit. You cannot imagine how huge these things are.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 09 April 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

They are being built at my birthplace, Bremen.

Whilst it is true that final assembly of the ATV occurs in Bremen, only one of the three major modules are actually built there.

The Equipped Propulsion Bay, which contains the rocket engines and propellant tanks, is built in Bremen.

The Equipped Avionics Bay, which contains most of the electronics and computers for the ATV, is manufactured in Toulouse, France.

The largest module, the Integrated Cargo Carrier, which is the section which contains all the cargo, is manufactured in Turin, Italy.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Alright, thanks for the calrification. It was still an amazing sight.  :)

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 09 April 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Alright, thanks for the calrification.
Just a bit of jealousy on my part really, no major component of this amazing European vehicle is made in the UK.

View PostFLOMBIE, on 09 April 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

It was still an amazing sight.  :)
I bet it was (more jealousy from me).

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Aw, don't be jealous, mate! Next time they open it up, I'll take some pictures for you!  :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users