Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Radiation at Fukushima Plant in Japan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

www.commondreams.org said:

Radiation was up to 10 times the fatal dose, the highest yet recorded at the plant.

Posted Image Read more...
So the radiation levels are the highest yet recorded in reactor two and no idea about the levels in reactor 1 and 3.
Not good! :no:

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 10,966 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

View Postjugoso, on 29 March 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

So the radiation levels are the highest yet recorded in reactor two and no idea about the levels in reactor 1 and 3.
Not good! :no:

Of course robots can enter. Robots have and do operate in even higher radiation environments. Where did they get this story from?

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,041 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 29 March 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

Of course robots can enter. Robots have and do operate in even higher radiation environments. Where did they get this story from?

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Still Critical" is the status, apparently...
http://www.independe...es-7595018.html

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,917 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Cheers,
Badeskov
Badeskov, could it be that the sensors themselves cannot handle the levels and still measure accurately?  Also, what do you think the long term plan should be there?  Why not encase in a sarcophagus like Chernobyl?  It seems ridiculous to the uninformed (me) that this situation has not been mediated by now.  I guess they are waiting on cooling but darn...it's been a year.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,441 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

View Postand then, on 29 March 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Badeskov, could it be that the sensors themselves cannot handle the levels and still measure accurately?  Also, what do you think the long term plan should be there?  Why not encase in a sarcophagus like Chernobyl?  It seems ridiculous to the uninformed (me) that this situation has not been mediated by now.  I guess they are waiting on cooling but darn...it's been a year.

Depending on how bad it is it could be 100 years. And the Japanese seem to have a lack of Kamikaze workers to build a sarcophagus, the Russians just "volunteered" some disregarding the fact that most of them would not survive the task by long.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 29 March 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Depending on how bad it is it could be 100 years. And the Japanese seem to have a lack of Kamikaze workers to build a sarcophagus, the Russians just "volunteered" some disregarding the fact that most of them would not survive the task by long.
bunches of them already volunteered during the initial disaster,all knowing it was a suicide mission.
A few of them are really sick now.
I think,in Japan,you can only volunteer for such a job,if it was your job already.
They do not expect people from outside the profession to sacrifice themselves.
They might not have the personnel to do it,if they have already lost part of the team.

Miss me?

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

http://mdn.mainichi....0dm010000c.html

http://www.japantoda...ardly-any-water

People are living in Fukushima mind you.Other areas are dead zones,but there are families in Fukushima,which I think is about to change.

Miss me?

#8    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

badeskov, on 29 March 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

From here:

http://www.japantime...20120328x1.html

High radiation can damage the circuitry of computer chips and degrade camera-captured images.

For example, a series of tracked Quince robots designed to gather data inside reactors can properly function for only two or three hours during exposure to 73 sieverts, said Eiji Koyanagi, the chief developer and vice director of the Future Robotics Technology Center of Chiba Institute of Technology.
That is unlikely to be enough for them to move around and collect video data and water samples, nuclear reactor experts said.

"Two or three hours would be too short. At least five or six hours would be necessary," said Tsuyoshi Misawa, a reactor physics and engineering professor at Kyoto University's Research Reactor Institute.

Edited by jugoso, 29 March 2012 - 03:48 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#9    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Cheers,
Badeskov

Well, here is something I found. I'm not an expert at all in regards to this but you tell me how it sounds.

Source: graham.d in a reply on www.TheNakedScientists.com

"Radiation comes in different forms and its ability to affect electronic devices depends on its ability to penetrate the electronic equipment and then to penetrate the packages with semiconductor devices in them. Usually it will be beta and gamma radiation that will have this ability; alpha particles will usually be stopped by outer packaging very easily. The common quality that is measured in Radiation is its ability to ionise materials. In semiconductors this ionising radiation can have two major effects: one is to produce electron-hole pairs which can create "soft" errors (errors in operation but not permanent damage) and, if the radiation is sufficient, permanent damage by creating large numbers of charges with sufficient energy to be injected into Silicon dioxide regions (where they stick) and change a transistors characteristics. Such high levels of radiation can also disrupt the crystal lattice and damage the transistors in that way. Normal semiconductor devices such as those in a typical computer would have sufficient soft errors at relatively low levels of radiation to render the computer unusable though not necessarily cause permanent damage. These levels are not generally sufficiently low that you would want to stand around in for long in it either! I suspect this is the sort of levels that we may be getting close to at the site in Japan at present. At the next level up where humans would be seriously harmed is similar to the point where normal semiconductors also get permanent damaged. However, it is possible to make semiconductor devices that are very resilient to radiation - at least for a period of time."

So my guess is that they simply don't have resistant enough robots for now.

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,150 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

I have a feeling they are never really told the truth about how bad its really been ever since it happened.  That radiation can travel far and wide.

#11    Fergus

Fergus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

I remember some of the early reports showing radiation traveling through the earths crust and if this was left unchecked for a year or two that it would engulf the planet. Seems if that is the case we are all screwed and they are just sitting back waiting for the fallout. (no pun intended)

#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

http://www.japantoda...r_2012-04-15_PM
Critisism over plans to restart reactors. :unsure2:

Miss me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users