Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Life a Computer Simulation?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,196 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostViViDviSioN, on 30 March 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

If life is nothing more than a computed simulation where these glitches do occur, who's to say that genetic modification isn't similar to what we consider hacking? Bypassing an anti-hack system such as in a game, and injecting the hack itself through the .dll file. Just an assumption, considering over 98% of Human DNA is still currently unknown. If living is just a game, I damn well wish someone could just give me the Walk-through of Life.  ^_^
Not me I prefer not to use the cheats. As a 12 year old I was determined to go through doom on the hardest settings, and I rather enjoyed discovering the locations of the secret weapons.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#17    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,196 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

Altered states can be achieved in many ways and is an intrinsnick part of our history and culture that has been vilified by both religion and government. Those who understand altered states are not subject to control and all institutions hate that.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#18    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostViViDviSioN, on 30 March 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

If life is nothing more than a computed simulation where these glitches do occur, who's to say that genetic modification isn't similar to what we consider hacking? Bypassing an anti-hack system such as in a game, and injecting the hack itself through the .dll file. Just an assumption, considering over 98% of Human DNA is still currently unknown. If living is just a game, I damn well wish someone could just give me the Walk-through of Life.  ^_^
Ah you make a Good point. Perhaps Genetic Modification is a Form of hacking the computer code within us. As are anti-hack system would be high end encryption within are DNA structure. As it toke years for us to figure out only 2% of are DNA and a lot of it is considered "Junk DNA" as far as we know it serves know real purpose. Perhaps the Junk DNA is the Readme and copyright notepad files you find along side the .dll which serve as the real code.

#19    spiratio

spiratio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

• This will be useful for storing printable versions of lengthy posts: http://pdfmyurl.com/

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

http://lightworkers....phic-simulation

#20    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,368 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

It's a matter of time for a sim (in the game The Sims) to communicate with us in this current world.
The Sims world is made of electricity and metal (RAM, hard drive). It's 50x less type of element than our world.

Conclusion : it's possible to communicate to a higher consciousness/world. And the number of type of elements/energy that constitute the outside world is far more greater than the number of elements in this universe.
Electricity, the thing that keep everything running at the same time, is equivalent to energy in our world. Analogically, if there's energies/elements other than electricity in our world, it's safe to say that "outside" world is not just build with "energy".

#21    THE INTERPRETER

THE INTERPRETER

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

View Poststevemagegod, on 29 March 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

If Life is nothing more than a Computer Simulation than perhaps a lot of the cases of Paranormal events that happen are just Glitches in "Reality". Some of these possible Glitches in Reality could be Ghosts, Teleportation, When Time seems to move faster some days and not other days, and the Soul. I am Christian and believe in One God. But lately i have been thinking that if there is a Creator and that this is nothing more than a Simulation than there should be a team of "Creators". As bigger projects require a team of advanced programmers as one person would take a long ass time to write every piece of code. So i am thinking that there are a Pantheon of Gods out there. Maintaining the Main server in which the program runs on. And fixing Glitches that occur a long the way. Such as some of the paranormal events that defy current logic, as they do not happen all time. But with any Computer Game/Simulation we should be able to find Cheat codes to make are character better. And i believe that these codes could be Hallucinogenic Drugs, as many Shamans use them to connect to the Higher Planes.  Perhaps some of the places that have a higher rate of Ghost activity are re spawn points within the game as almost every game have them as some spirits can interact with environment around them.

stevemagegod,

Yes, a digital simulation or virtual reality.

You say you are a Christian; those gods you mention are Angel spirits.

Glitches would pertain to fallen entities interfering with the simulation (Divine plan).

Drugs open the mind up to the other dimensions and should be avoided.  Shamans use them to connect to demon forces.

Ghosts are people (often spirits having a specific assignment because they did not complete their task on this side of time) in a different dimension that vibrates at a much higher frequency which is why we generally can't see them with the natural eye but they can be captured with flash photography.

Are you questioning reality itself? God? or something else?

#22    Erowin

Erowin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

People, the real question here is "Is life a computer simulation"

No.

The answer is no.

#23    _Only

_Only

• 6,593 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostErowin, on 15 April 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

People, the real question here is "Is life a computer simulation"

No.

The answer is no.

Hmmm, just what a top secret life programmer would say...

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#24    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,368 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Whether life is a computer simulation or not, if you keep asking "who's the one who created the programmers who created virtual life" and so on... you'll end up with the answer : God.

#25    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,196 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 15 April 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Whether life is a computer simulation or not, if you keep asking "who's the one who created the programmers who created virtual life" and so on... you'll end up with the answer : God.
Unless it's infinite. But of course in infinity an evolved god I'd probably likely aswell.

Bruce Lee-

#26    johnny blue eyes

johnny blue eyes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

If this world is a computer simulation then what happens if someone pulls the plug? or spills there coffee on the keyboard, ha.
Seriously though from what i,ve read physics tells us that we probably do live in some sort of computer simulation. Not that that makes life any less real than its ever been.

#27    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Or maybe, we're living in reality, nothing more. Depends on what is scarier to you.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#28    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,368 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostZaraKitty, on 18 April 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

Or maybe, we're living in reality, nothing more. Depends on what is scarier to you.
what does fear has anything to do here? we're discussing about science

#29    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• 1,070 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

If Life is nothing more than a Computer Simulation than perhaps a lot of the cases of Paranormal events that happen are just Glitches in "Reality". Some of these possible Glitches in Reality could be Ghosts, Teleportation, When Time seems to move faster some days and not other days, and the Soul.

If it were, it wouldn't be a computer simulation per se (*explained at end) but our knowledge of computers could help us to understand how any information can be stored and translated in most basic forms such as binary, which is extremely simplistic requiring only an on and an off switch.  This could relate to the nature of atomic particles being positive or negative (or neutral, indicating a sort of trinary system rather than binary) so in that sense, yes all life being based on those three building blocks and the combinations thereof is already functioning in complex ways on a very basic system just as we see with computers.

That leads to the question though, do computers merely follow the nature of existence or are computers an example of inner workings of existence that we were not / are not yet aware of?  It's kind of a chicken or the egg scenario... which I find most of these questions do boil down to that scenario and in that question, which we cannot answer, we find a sort of infinity in the cyclic nature of the question itself... and I personally feel that any time we grasp at the concept of infinity, that is where a type of "deity" or higher consciousness would exist.

As for the beings actively maintaining the illusion, I'm not quite sure what to say.  On one hand it is logical that the illusion had to have been constructed by someone, in order to function and be maintained as we view computers require construction and maintenance as well.  Or could a simple set of rules combined with the initial motion or vibration to cause a cascade of events have been enough to set it all in motion and ultimately work through the innumerable calculations to wind up where we are today, still a sort of blip on the screen of random chance ?   I kind of see the idea of creation by a higher power this way... it caused the spark (vibration or word) which started the motion, but did not directly sculpt the earth or anything else with "hands".  In a case of infinite potential and finite energy, all scenarios would eventually come to be, and could seem planned though the only planning was the initial spark and the constraints of the "rules" of the playing field.  

As in: if the creator started the simulation, eventually it would inevitably come to and pass this moment because of how the rule were set, and so direct hands on manipulation of code wouldn't be required.  I'm kind of thinking of that life simulation that had a few basic rules and ran following those rules with no further need for outside influence.

In that sense though, there wouldn't technically be any glitches, merely a inevitable processing of all possibilities, occasionally causing things which appear to be glitches but if looking at the functioning overall they would make sense when understanding how the code functions within the rules.  For example, computers don't necessarily glitch out of nowhere.  It's a series of circiuts and processors, programmed to function a certain way.  However the more complex the system becomes, the more likely that two different processes will try to run at the same time that are perhaps not fully compatible and overstep each other, causing the appearance of a glitch to the end user.  In effect, the box is still only doing what it is programmed to do it just so happens that two seperate programmed elements aren't compatible at the moment they occur simultaneously.  If each ran seperately, they'd work fine.  If they ran concurrently but with different timing (than the timing which causes the glitch) they wouldn't have anything happen appearing to be a glitch... I guess what I'm trying to say is that the glitch itself is kind of like shroedinger's experiment - the cat is simutaneously alive and not alive until you have someone observing the cat, at which time it either is one or the other - but in this case you have one box with two different experiments, and when you observe the box you're seeing the results of both but those results appear combined into a single impossible result.

I hope that made sense, sometimes trying to put my thoughts into words just doesn't work :D

But with any Computer Game/Simulation we should be able to find Cheat codes to make are character better. And i believe that these codes could be Hallucinogenic Drugs, as many Shamans use them to connect to the Higher Planes.  Perhaps some of the places that have a higher rate of Ghost activity are re spawn points within the game as almost every game have them as some spirits can interact with environment around them.

I assume that instead of saying better it would be more preferable to say that the cheat codes allow the user to "beat the system" and get around certain portions of the code.  It could appear to be a better result, but it could also appear to be a worse result for example if you were to turn off clipping and then turn it back on while halfway in a wall, you'd be stuck and unable to move unless you turned off the clipping again.  So really the cheat codes aren't better, they allow one to circumvent the code - and yes in that comparsion I would agree that various types of altered states seem to have the same effect as using a code in a game.

I would think that ghosts and things like that are more like when you're in a game and for whatever reason you can see through the floor to see sprites walking around in the room above or when a characters arm disappears from certain viewing angles.  Basically a failure of the program to render all of the polygons correctly or to anticipate all possible viewing angles at a given time.

* When I say it wouldn't be a computer simulation, I mean I don't think we all exist in a series of servers somewhere, in the way that we think of technology.   I think what we have made technologically can relate to what we understand about biology in certain ways.  The simplicity of an on/off system could function in just about any medium if you can work with the very basic functioning of that system so that the on/off switches work in sequence to affect other processing units (of whatever medium you're working with).  I've long thought of biological life as relating to a sort of programming language, because when it comes down to it both appear to have similar language devices it's just some are squishy and others are not :D  Both systems utilize energy through different methods, but both systems do ultimately utilize energy itself to function.

Edited by karmakazi, 18 April 2012 - 08:04 PM.

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#30    fourtwentysix

fourtwentysix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• what in the World

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

If Life is nothing more than a Computer Simulation than perhaps a lot of the cases of Paranormal events that happen are just Glitches in "Reality". Some of these possible Glitches in Reality could be Ghosts, Teleportation, When Time seems to move faster some days and not other days, and the Soul. I am Christian and believe in One God. But lately i have been thinking that if there is a Creator and that this is nothing more than a Simulation than there should be a team of "Creators". As bigger projects require a team of advanced programmers as one person would take a long ass time to write every piece of code. So i am thinking that there are a Pantheon of Gods out there. Maintaining the Main server in which the program runs on. And fixing Glitches that occur a long the way. Such as some of the paranormal events that defy current logic, as they do not happen all time. But with any Computer Game/Simulation we should be able to find Cheat codes to make are character better. And i believe that these codes could be Hallucinogenic Drugs, as many Shamans use them to connect to the Higher Planes.  Perhaps some of the places that have a higher rate of Ghost activity are re spawn points within the game as almost every game have them as some spirits can interact with environment around them.

woah thats a pretty cool notion. thatd sure explain deja vu's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users