Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Adam Savage at the Reason Rally

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

There was another thread in this section that contained an article that pretty much lambasted the recxent Reason Rally as a dark and hateful rally in D.C.
Here's a clip that I believe shows just the opposite to be the case.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,740 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

If this is "dark and hateful" then I'm going over to the "dark side" PDQ.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#3    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 29 March 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

There was another thread in this section that contained an article that pretty much lambasted the recxent Reason Rally as a dark and hateful rally in D.C.
Here's a clip that I believe shows just the opposite to be the case.

COUNT ME IN FOR THE DARK SIDE!!!!

Posted Image

#4    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,209 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostLilly, on 30 March 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

If this is "dark and hateful" then I'm going over to the "dark side" PDQ.
The article in the other thread tried to paint a picture of hate speech and resentment, when I think the whole rally was more a meeting of minds, if you will.
Plus, I though Savage made a great speech.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#5    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

This thread, as the other, compliment each other in that both reveal just one side of the coin but together we can see both sides. This movement has function and dysfunction but without honestly evaluating that how will it ever integrate itself within society?

#6    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,740 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Personally, (especially since I'm typing this on a computer) I'd say that scientific thinking has already integrated itself into society. And, rational thinking has been around for quite awhile (way back folks). I see this as more of what Carl Sagan was saying in "The Demon Haunted World".

I worry that, especially as the Millennium edges nearer, pseudo-science and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us-then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

And Dr. Sagan said this long before 9/11. IMO, we need this realization more than ever.

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#7    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,365 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostLilly, on 30 March 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

Personally, (especially since I'm typing this on a computer) I'd say that scientific thinking has already integrated itself into society. And, rational thinking has been around for quite awhile (way back folks). I see this as more of what Carl Sagan was saying in "The Demon Haunted World".

And Dr. Sagan said this long before 9/11. IMO, we need this realization more than ever.

Yes that is a beautiful and Savage's speech was also beautiful, however I have to say it is not the sole realm of the atheist to appreciate these wisdoms.  It would be as much a better world if people embraced that which we all have in common - love and with it empathy,  and a capacity to reason.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#8    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 2,966 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

That's just awesome.

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#9    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,040 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I saw grey skies and people wearing raincoats.

So, I have to ask...

Was God raining on their parade?

*tongue firmly in cheek*

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#10    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,034 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

I think Unseelie said it best.  Both this thread and the other show two sides of a coin.  Adam Savage's speech was very well said, I reckon if I was a celebrity invited to the event I would have said something very similar (except for the last bit about himself being his own watcher instead of a creator).  I can't say I understand why there was so much cheering over what he said.  Even at large Christian gatherings, I don't cheer when the preacher says something I happen to agree with.  Sounds more like a cult of celebrity (like people cheering a band at a rock concert when they tell them how awesome the crowd is).  

In any case, I reckon Adam Savage (and guests like him) show one side of the Reason Rally (and to be fair it is almost definitely the larger side of things).  On the other side are the people who simply want to protest religion.  Those who want to declare "**** you Christians, don't tell me I can't have an abortion" (paraphrased, of course, for effect, I'm pretty certain those exact words weren't used - especially since pro-choice is not just a religious issue).  I'm pretty sure those types of atheists also attended.  And maybe they weren't intended specifically as part of the Guest List, they still attended and unfortunately for the organisers provided the downside to the event.  

Just a thought,

~ PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#11    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,040 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 30 March 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

I think Unseelie said it best.  Both this thread and the other show two sides of a coin.  Adam Savage's speech was very well said, I reckon if I was a celebrity invited to the event I would have said something very similar (except for the last bit about himself being his own watcher instead of a creator).  I can't say I understand why there was so much cheering over what he said.  Even at large Christian gatherings, I don't cheer when the preacher says something I happen to agree with.  Sounds more like a cult of celebrity (like people cheering a band at a rock concert when they tell them how awesome the crowd is).  

In any case, I reckon Adam Savage (and guests like him) show one side of the Reason Rally (and to be fair it is almost definitely the larger side of things).  On the other side are the people who simply want to protest religion.  Those who want to declare "**** you Christians, don't tell me I can't have an abortion" (paraphrased, of course, for effect, I'm pretty certain those exact words weren't used - especially since pro-choice is not just a religious issue).  I'm pretty sure those types of atheists also attended.  And maybe they weren't intended specifically as part of the Guest List, they still attended and unfortunately for the organisers provided the downside to the event.  

Just a thought,

~ PA

To be fair, PA, those whom you portray as the "dark side" of the Reason Rally are only standing up for what they believe in the face of a lot of pressure from a long tradition of religious influence on law. Additionally, they are not telling those who follow religious tradition what they can, or cannot, do with their own bodies.

I, personally, would not label those who wish to shout "**** you Christians, don't tell me I can't have an abortion." as 'dark' or 'hateful'. Those labels I would apply to those who cry liberty, while preaching (or practising) dictating.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#12    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,740 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 30 March 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

I, personally, would not label those who wish to shout "**** you Christians, don't tell me I can't have an abortion." as 'dark' or 'hateful'. Those labels I would apply to those who cry liberty, while preaching (or practising) dictating.

I (personally) would label anyone who publically shouted "F-you" at anyone, for any reason, at a public gathering as being disruptive and rude.

And just to add, embracing rational thinking does not somehow preclude having religious/spiritual beliefs.

Edited by Lilly, 30 March 2012 - 03:05 PM.
addition

#13    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,209 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

The problem comes when we have religious and or spiritual people trying to impose their beliefs via our government. Look at Rick Santorum. Everything is all well and good until some starts to shove religion down someone else's throat.
Our governing body is of the people and for the people. Atheists are people as well, despite claims by others. Do we not deserve representation?
Sure there are those on both sides that take things too far, but is it not right to feel a little upset and the treatment some atheists receive at the hands of believers? I know I've been on the receiving end of it. And for what? Because I don't believe in someone else's god? That's just a silly reason to think less of somebody.

#14    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,740 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 30 March 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

...Sure there are those on both sides that take things too far, but is it not right to feel a little upset and the treatment some atheists receive at the hands of believers? I know I've been on the receiving end of it. And for what? Because I don't believe in someone else's god? That's just a silly reason to think less of somebody.

Exactly, regardless of which side one falls on (religious or atheist) no one has any right to dictate what another person chooses to believe. Also, I personally think no one has any right to shout out obscene remarks in public either. I know there are some folks who think otherwise, but I find such behaviour to quite rude and obnoxious.

#15    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,034 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 30 March 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

To be fair, PA, those whom you portray as the "dark side" of the Reason Rally are only standing up for what they believe in the face of a lot of pressure from a long tradition of religious influence on law. Additionally, they are not telling those who follow religious tradition what they can, or cannot, do with their own bodies.

I have to disagree.  To use an example from the other thread, the journalist said something about a woman who held up a sign saying "stay out of my panties" (I think that's what it said, from memory).  And though I agree that this wasn't a reference to sexual molestation (as the other article tried to imply) this does equate religious belief with the argument about pro-choice/pro-life.  What isn't made clear is that there are quite a few non-Christians who don't believe in pro-choice.  Yes, not all pro-lifers are Christian, believe it or not.  But some people are so ensconced in their views that they cannot see this and believe that pro-life is a "Christian" view just as much as a person who thinks stem-cell research is wrong (another view that is not entirely championed only by religious folk).  I still maintain my original statement - most people were thoughtful in their response/s, especially the guest speakers (of whom Adam Savage is the only person I have actually seen a video of).  But outside of that are the "darker" elements of militant atheism, who are not there to promote reason but rather to promote anti-religion.  That is a distinction I think some militant atheists are unable to distinguish between.  Pro-reason, anti-religion - they are NOT the same thing, though some seem to think it is :yes:

~ PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users