Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Heike Crab

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

Japan...
There is an ancient tale of a great battle between the Genji and Heike clans ,which took place at sea in the 1100s.
The Heike lost badly,and their bodies were everywhere in the water,along one patch of Japans coast line.
A breed of crab developed,that are said to carry the souls of these men,and you can see their faces,on the crabs back.
They have been dubbed,samurai crabs.No one will eat them.

http://www.kirainet....ish/heike-crab/

http://cis.poly.edu/...amuraiCrabs.htm

Miss me?

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,056 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

That's a little creepy.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostOffeiriad, on 02 April 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

That's a little creepy.
I love these crabs. Id have one in a fish tank if i could.

Miss me?

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,031 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

That's a bunch of crapb.

#5    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

As much as I love Sagan... he totally bungled this one. The crabs are of a species called face crabs, the shape on their backs is due to muscle tie offs, has nothing to do with artificial selection by humans, the crabs aren't even eaten, they're to small. Though this wasn't refuted until '93, and I'll let it slide 'cause Sagan was a astronomer, not a biologist. And he was awesome.

link

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 05 April 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

As much as I love Sagan... he totally bungled this one. The crabs are of a species called face crabs, the shape on their backs is due to muscle tie offs, has nothing to do with artificial selection by humans, the crabs aren't even eaten, they're to small. Though this wasn't refuted until '93, and I'll let it slide 'cause Sagan was a astronomer, not a biologist. And he was awesome.

link

Well this is some sort of tv series he had.I put it more as just a visual,and amusement.
He is a hoot . :w00t:
I think it was filmed in the 70s actually.

Miss me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users