Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

U.S. soldier dies saving Afghan girl

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Parsip

Parsip

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

http://security.blog...ng-afghan-girl/

After the news of a U.S. soldier charged with murdering Afghan civilians, mostly women and children, the story of Spc. Dennis Weichel of the Rhode Island National Guard bears telling.

The official Pentagon news release says he died "from injuries suffered in a noncombat related incident." But there is much more to the story. Weichel, 29, of Providence, died saving the life of a little girl.

This is sad. It no doubt happens all the time and is rarely reported. Heroic Western soldiers sacrificing their lives to protect the locals doesn't fit the "evil mercenaries and occupiers" narrative, so I'm not surprised it gets nowhere near as much attention as US troops peeing on a dead insurgent's body.

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,778 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostParsip, on 30 March 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

This is sad. It no doubt happens all the time and is rarely reported. Heroic Western soldiers sacrificing their lives to protect the locals doesn't fit the "evil mercenaries and occupiers" narrative, so I'm not surprised it gets nowhere near as much attention as US troops peeing on a dead insurgent's body.
You're correct, Parsip, this doesn't fit the narrative.  But this young man covered himself in selflessness and honor and his reward is sure.  God bless him.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    pinupgirl

pinupgirl

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

:tu:

#4    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,238 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Look at the comments, omg some are just horrible

#5    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

God Bless him. I am so glad this is posted. Acts we have suffered as of late of murder and such is very, very rare. Most soldiers are honorable men simply doing there job. I have met many over my 26 year career in the field and in country whom gave or would give their life to save not just their own but the indigents. This man is a true soldier and human being and God Bless him. I give a hardy salute and tear for him and his family. What an act of raw courage.

Robbie James

#6    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

happens all the time and is rarely reported ? you must be the gullible one,  i m from vietnam .. every1 knows the vietnam - american war.. please dont make me tell stories about that.....
offcours there are some soldier like this 1 .. to fight to protect and to die for the innocent.  ..    he deserves the medal of honor. we can only wish that all  the soldiers were like him. i got great respect for guys like him ..

but the fact is this..
the western and the americans. bomb and kill tens of thousends ,innocent men ,woman children,,  and after that a hero rises and  saved the life of one girl .. now you tell me again.  to be proud and tell the world your soldiers are heroic and would give their own life to save the locals ?? or would you be ashamed by the fact that your army's are killing the innocent ? so wich one deserves more attention>? kill many and pee ? or saving 1  ?

i am sorry .. for this comment. .. i m here to praise that soldier..  but after reading your post.. .i just had to say something .
next time dont compare .. disrespectfull act with respectfull acts.. that is just wrong.

#7    Parsip

Parsip

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostWhyDontYouBeliEveMe, on 30 March 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

happens all the time and is rarely reported ? you must be the gullible one,  i m from vietnam .. every1 knows the vietnam - american war.. please dont make me tell stories about that.....
offcours there are some soldier like this 1 .. to fight to protect and to die for the innocent.  ..    he deserves the medal of honor. we can only wish that all  the soldiers were like him. i got great respect for guys like him ..

but the fact is this..
the western and the americans. bomb and kill tens of thousends ,innocent men ,woman children,,  and after that a hero rises and  saved the life of one girl .. now you tell me again.  to be proud and tell the world your soldiers are heroic and would give their own life to save the locals ?? or would you be ashamed by the fact that your army's are killing the innocent ? so wich one deserves more attention>? kill many and pee ? or saving 1  ?

i am sorry .. for this comment. .. i m here to praise that soldier..  but after reading your post.. .i just had to say something .
next time dont compare .. disrespectfull act with respectfull acts.. that is just wrong.

Bomb tens of thousands of civilians? That hasn't been US policy for decades. In the modern era they take great care to minimize civilian casualties, and the vast majority of civilians killed in US wars were directly or indirectly killed by the other side (insurgents and the like). Some say that America's ROE even risk soldiers' lives to minimize civilian casualties. There are no doubt thousands of unreported cases of Western troops helping locals and saving their lives. I'm sure you could find many on the internet, but the majority of cases most likely will remain unknown to us.

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,465 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

View PostRobbie333, on 30 March 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

God Bless him. I am so glad this is posted. Acts we have suffered as of late of murder and such is very, very rare. Most soldiers are honorable men simply doing there job. I have met many over my 26 year career in the field and in country whom gave or would give their life to save not just their own but the indigents. This man is a true soldier and human being and God Bless him. I give a hardy salute and tear for him and his family. What an act of raw courage.

I agree 100%, Robbie.

What I would like to say about this, is that honour and courage are what the public expect from those who have sworn to serve, and this is why the selfless acts are less reported on (although they should be reported more, I agree) and why those acts of horror and barbarity are reported more and shock us so much.

It is not because the men and women who serve are disrespected (generally, they are not disrespected) that it is this way, it is simply human nature.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#9    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

After the reporting of so many awful things that have happened in Afghanistan, it's good to remember that there are still some good, honest heros out there doing their best to help the people of that country.
Spc. Dennis Weichel of the Rhode Island National Guard was one of those Heroes.

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,473 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Through the dust of war (and real bad publicity) emerges a hero to remind us that the good guys wear white hats and bad guys wear black.  Hurrah!

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,704 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostWhyDontYouBeliEveMe, on 30 March 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

but the fact is this..

Frankly I wish we had just carpet bombed the whole place like you contend.  There'd be a lot fewer names on whatever memorial gets built in Washington in a few years.

As was said above, the ROE ended up killing many many Americans and our allies over there.  We would send ground troops into areas that would have been leveled by artillery and armor in Vietnam and most certainly during WWII.  This led to a lot of good soldiers being killed.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users