Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Christianity seems to be diminishing


  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1    Magicjax

Magicjax

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2009

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Im just wondering how many of you agree or disagree with this.  

Christianity is still the dominant religion of course as far as the number of people that consider themselves fallowers of the various sects of Christianity. I don't think it'll ever go away completely. But there's no doubt that it's influence on society has diminished in recent years. Not long ago it was rare for someone to speak out against religion. The consequences of doing so was much more severe then it is today. Today it's more common to be asked "do you believe in god?" but not long ago that was instantly assumed and they only asked "what church do you fallow"?  

We atheist still get frowned upon. Some still dislike us the moment they find out we don't believe in god. We're still a minority. The same is true for any minority or petty differences. Racism still occurs but it's generally seen as a bad thing by society. Sexual horrasment, child abuse, woman's right, all these things still occur but most view them as terribly things. But each of these things were addressed with movements. People speaking out and taking action agaist these injustices. They weren't always viewed as societies epidemics until someone started to address them as such.

I truly believe that right now. The age we are currently living in. Will someday be remembered as a time of a religious movement. Not as a mark if the end of religion because I don't think it'll ever go away. But, I'm convinced that things are starting to change. The changes, I believe, won't be about religion itself but it's effects and influences it has on our societies.

Here are some of the things I think will happen in the near future. Some of them will seem a little petty. But none the less I do think they will happen as this shift occurs in religions impact on society.



I believe the churches will someday no longer have any relief of taxes in the USA.

"In god we trust" will be removed from our money.

Evolution will be taught in class rooms. Both sides of that debate will eventually come to terms enough to agree on that as learned knowledge we've obtained.

Religion will become more of a prIvate issue. I believe the number of churches will diminish. Religion will be kinda like being "home schooled". It'll be something people do for themselves in more privacy.

Christianity will become less devided into sects.

I'm not making predictions here. I'm simply sharing thoughts of possible changes I think might come during this shift that seems to be taking place today in the overall view of religion and it's effects in our society. I don't know if they'll happen. But I could see them as possibilities.

I know I don't judge anyone on their religious views. Id personally rather not even know anyone's views on religion. I'd rather judge people on their charecture. But it's sometimes hard to avoid when you see all the churches and their signs. When they come door to door and print on our money. It's influences are everywhere and I think that'll diminish someday. Not disappear but be less influential.

Edited by Magicjax, 30 March 2012 - 06:11 PM.

Man in suit!

Posted Image

#2    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 4,818 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I do see a growing trend as well and I don't think it's a bad thing.


As to your point about evolution, however, I hope people finally realize that there is no debate. There is no 'otherside' to teach as there is no scientific theory that has held up to what we have now. I am not going to derail this thread and will not respond to any comments about evolution.

Most everybody I know is an atheist or an agnostic. I don't seek out friends based on their religion, I could care less what they believe. Even the people I grew up with who were very religious while young. While I have never encouraged them to turn away from their beliefs, I have encouraged them to study them more. I don't know what it is, but it seems that the more you know about religion, the less likely you are to have one. From my experience, of course.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#3    Goodnite

Goodnite

    Outsider looking in.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Joined:07 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pennsylvania

  • Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

The largest religion (Christianity) is aprox. 68% larger than the second largest religion (Islam) and 246% larger than the third largest religion (Hinduism). http://fastestgrowin...om/numbers.html

The King of the Beasts

#4    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,721 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

It is, as it was written so long ago. There will be a decline, and then a revival when everything further spirals. 2020 should be interesting if there's anything to the various cultural and religious prophecies.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3, 30 March 2012 - 06:22 PM.


#5    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

    Cheese

  • Member
  • 4,096 posts
  • Joined:17 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Star Mountain, Corporate States of America

  • We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

I agree somewhat in what you say. Nice topic. I think religion is becoming more of a personal matter for people, here in the U.S., anyway.

I also think there is a general trend of people becoming more sophisticated  about religion. It is more easy nowadays to express one's contrary thoughts about the subject. I remember when I was young, religion was a subject people around me were fearful to talk about, much less criticize.

Now I can safely state to almost anyone my views on religion without generating a negative response.

I'm sure most will want to keep believing in God, though, even as organized religion is possibly on the wane.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#6    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 4,818 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I took a comparative religion class a few years ago. It was remarkable how many people knew nothing about the central tenants of their faith other than 'Jesus did whatever'. Most were only religious because their parents were and several expressed that they didn't feel like they had a choice even if they didn't really believe.
That's quite removed from the many years ago I was in middle school and lost a debate about alien life because I said I didn't believe in god but 'the bible only says that god created man.".

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#7    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 13,943 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

The Bible actually supports your theory.  The following verse is speaking about the changes that will occur on earth just prior to the Lord returning.  The word apostasia  is used in the original text and it is disputed whether it means "falling away" or "catching away" but the idea is that many Christians will depart from the faith prior to Christ's return.  So in a sense, it's overall good news for Christianity even though it is tragic for those who stop believing.

2 Thessalonians 2:2-3 ... be not soon shaken in mind, or be
troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us,
as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by
any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a
falling away first,


So I agree with your thesis wholeheartedly.  And I am comforted by seeing it come to pass.  Maranatha!

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

    Fact Corrector

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN. Wrestling Capital of the U.S.

  • Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostMagicjax, on 30 March 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Im just wondering how many of you agree or disagree with this.  

Christianity is still the dominant religion of course as far as the number of people that consider themselves fallowers of the various sects of Christianity. I don't think it'll ever go away completely. But there's no doubt that it's influence on society has diminished in recent years. Not long ago it was rare for someone to speak out against religion. The consequences of doing so was much more severe then it is today. Today it's more common to be asked "do you believe in god?" but not long ago that was instantly assumed and they only asked "what church do you fallow"?  

We atheist still get frowned upon. Some still dislike us the moment they find out we don't believe in god. We're still a minority. The same is true for any minority or petty differences. Racism still occurs but it's generally seen as a bad thing by society. Sexual horrasment, child abuse, woman's right, all these things still occur but most view them as terribly things. But each of these things were addressed with movements. People speaking out and taking action agaist these injustices. They weren't always viewed as societies epidemics until someone started to address them as such.

I truly believe that right now. The age we are currently living in. Will someday be remembered as a time of a religious movement. Not as a mark if the end of religion because I don't think it'll ever go away. But, I'm convinced that things are starting to change. The changes, I believe, won't be about religion itself but it's effects and influences it has on our societies.

Here are some of the things I think will happen in the near future. Some of them will seem a little petty. But none the less I do think they will happen as this shift occurs in religions impact on society.



I believe the churches will someday no longer have any relief of taxes in the USA.

"In god we trust" will be removed from our money.

Evolution will be taught in class rooms. Both sides of that debate will eventually come to terms enough to agree on that as learned knowledge we've obtained.

Religion will become more of a prIvate issue. I believe the number of churches will diminish. Religion will be kinda like being "home schooled". It'll be something people do for themselves in more privacy.

Christianity will become less devided into sects.

I'm not making predictions here. I'm simply sharing thoughts of possible changes I think might come during this shift that seems to be taking place today in the overall view of religion and it's effects in our society. I don't know if they'll happen. But I could see them as possibilities.

I know I don't judge anyone on their religious views. Id personally rather not even know anyone's views on religion. I'd rather judge people on their charecture. But it's sometimes hard to avoid when you see all the churches and their signs. When they come door to door and print on our money. It's influences are everywhere and I think that'll diminish someday. Not disappear but be less influential.

You pose some good thoughts but I would like to point out a few things.

First, religion seems to go in cycles from less religious to more religious. The United States is at one of its highest points in our history as far as religious believers and fundamentalists and this trend does not appear to be changing. I mean look at many of our political leaders…Biblical literalists are a strong force to day. I mean look at Bush, Palin, Perry, and Bachmann. Bachmann is the most baffling to me because being from Minnesota, we consider ourselves a pretty liberal state. Granted this is a problem with our political system but still she had enough support to get elected. Since the 50’s religiousness in the US has increased and has not gone down. I would argue the New Atheist movement is also a fundamentalist (or conservative, not sure of the proper term) religious movement. Religion is going strong and our science scores prove that…

I do not think churches will ever pay taxes. The government is not allowed to have “excessive” entanglements with religion. At the same time if you tax them I think you have to support them.

“In God We Trust” was just voted on again in the last 6 months and passed…
Evolution is taught in the classroom or rather it is supposed to be. Evolution MUST be taught in schools in Minnesota and I believe that is generally the case except for Kansas…they have a weird situation going on…The “controversy” will never come to terms until we can compare apples to oranges…

I think religion is already more of a private thing. It is just that small group of people that want to make it public.

Christianity will continue to be dived into sects. Sects typically do not merge together. It is possible their theological ideas become similar though, such as the acceptance of evolution.

This is just what history have shown me…

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#9    Parsip

Parsip

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Joined:01 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Christianity is still growing in the world, and I think a recent study showed that almost all Americans believe in God or a similar entity, so regardless of religiosity, spirituality is still universal in America and there's no sign of this changing anytime soon.


#10    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

    Fact Corrector

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN. Wrestling Capital of the U.S.

  • Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

View PostParsip, on 30 March 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Christianity is still growing in the world, and I think a recent study showed that almost all Americans believe in God or a similar entity, so regardless of religiosity, spirituality is still universal in America and there's no sign of this changing anytime soon.

Atheists and agnostics make up 13-15% of the population so I suppose everyone else believes in some type of god.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#11    Parsip

Parsip

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Joined:01 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 30 March 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

Atheists and agnostics make up 13-15% of the population so I suppose everyone else believes in some type of god.

Gods aren't the only spiritual beings. A little over 90% of Americans believed in God, a universal spirit, or something similar, according to the study.


#12    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

    Fact Corrector

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN. Wrestling Capital of the U.S.

  • Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

http://www.gallup.co...0/religion.aspx

Here are some poll results from gallup.
in 2001 82% of people considered themselves Christians. 8% were "none."
in 2011 75% considered themselves Christians. 13% were "none." The number of non-believers is going up but what I find more interesting is the different Christian catagories. in 2001 only 4% were non-specified Christians compared to 10% in 2011. This all could show there is an increasing rate of non-believers but at the same time since 2006 non-believers has only gone up 1%.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#13    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

    Fact Corrector

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN. Wrestling Capital of the U.S.

  • Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostParsip, on 30 March 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

Gods aren't the only spiritual beings. A little over 90% of Americans believed in God, a universal spirit, or something similar, according to the study.

I guess I should have have said "greater power" instead of "god?" The point is 13% do not believe in a higher power.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#14    Parsip

Parsip

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Joined:01 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

http://www.gallup.co...elieve-God.aspx


#15    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

    Fact Corrector

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN. Wrestling Capital of the U.S.

  • Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostParsip, on 30 March 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:


Well I guess in the gallup link I provided "none" can mean believes in a god?

OIC your link is page 2 to the link I put...I guess this just shows the problem poll data...

Edited by HuttonEtAl, 30 March 2012 - 08:04 PM.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users