Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Navy: 4 Years Away From Laser Guns on Ships

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,910 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

www.wired.com said:

The dream of sailors, nerds and sailor-nerds everywhere is on the verge of coming true, senior Navy technologists swear.  Within four years, they claim they’ll have a working prototype of a laser cannon, ready to place aboard a ship. And they’re just months away from inviting defense contractors to bid on a contract to build it for them.

“Subsonic cruise missiles, aircraft, fast-moving boats, unmanned aerial vehicles” — Mike Deitchman, who oversees future weapons development for the Office of Naval Research, promises Danger Room that the Navy laser cannons just over the horizon will target them all.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    seller2006

seller2006

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

• Student of the Quran

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

I find it interesting how much prospect of future weapons we have but no prospect of feeding everyone. how about 0 weapons till every man , woman and child is clothed, educated and provided for? Too bad people are interesting in temporary gimmicks to pay attention to others..

Posted Image

Check out some of my raps.. http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=3016

Check out my Concious Hip Hop, http://www.youtube.c...Adealist/videos

#3    The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

I agree with seller2006 on that.

#4    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

If we invested as much money on space as we do on weapons to destroy each other,we would have been on mars now.

#5    turn on tune in

turn on tune in

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

well said seller69

#6    grc

grc

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

• Out of my mind, back in five minutes.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

View Postseller2006, on 31 March 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

I find it interesting how much prospect of future weapons we have but no prospect of feeding everyone. how about 0 weapons till every man , woman and child is clothed, educated and provided for? Too bad people are interesting in temporary gimmicks to pay attention to others..

View Postshaddow134, on 01 April 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

If we invested as much money on space as we do on weapons to destroy each other,we would have been on mars now.

I wish I would be still alive to see that on Earth but...

"Bigfoot is blurry!" -Mitch Hedberg

#7    Him over there

Him over there

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Anybody thought it's the 1st of April, April Fools day?

#8    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,298 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Very much agreed we need to end global hunger as well as a truck load of other issues. Unfortunately, there are powers at be that would absolutely destroy the western world if we all of a sudden said "OK, We're done with weapons and military! We want PEACE!" It's a nice thought but absolutely not possible unfortunately.

Edited by ColoradoParanormal, 01 April 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

View Postseller2006, on 31 March 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Apparently you're not aware of how much effort and funding is going into solving those very problems you mention.

Not to mention, I have to wonder how many of you who hold this opinion are also the first ones to attack companies like Monsanto, ADM, etc. and genetically modified foods.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,298 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostRafterman, on 01 April 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

Apparently you're not aware of how much effort and funding is going into solving those very problems you mention.

Not to mention, I have to wonder how many of you who hold this opinion are also the first ones to attack companies like Monsanto, ADM, etc. and genetically modified foods.

:yes::tu::) Thank you!

#11    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,751 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

View PostHim over there, on 01 April 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Anybody thought it's the 1st of April, April Fools day?
Hey Him over there,

Welcome to UM!

Very unlikely this is an April Fools joke. Laser weapons/defense systems have been in development for a long time - there is a lot of time and money being invested in making them viable platforms for use in the military and elsewhere.

Check out the Mobile Tactical High Energy Laser videos on YouTube for example.

Tim.

Posted Image

#12    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Have a look at this article too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-13033437

#13    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Interesting...

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostColoradoParanormal, on 02 April 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

:yes::tu::) Thank you!

No problem.

I may not be the smartest guy around, but I do know that world hunger isn't going to be solved by patchouli wearing Hippie Bob in his plastic shoes selling organic rhubarb and free range eggs down at the local farmer's market.  Although he's very popular with the Free Tibet Volvo driving crowd.

Edited by Rafterman, 02 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#15    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,298 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostRafterman, on 02 April 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

No problem.

I may not be the smartest guy around, but I do know that world hunger isn't going to be solved by patchouli wearing Hippie Bob in his plastic shoes selling organic rhubarb and free range eggs down at the local farmer's market.  Although he's very popular with the Free Tibet Volvo driving crowd.

lol for sure! Loved your "Free Tibet Volvo crowd"  comment! What's funny is I don't know if you've ever heard of Boulder Colorado? It has the saying of "20 square miles surrounded by reality." The city was founded by hippies and it's only degraded from there.... It truly is like driving into another world and they all have the Free Tibet stickers and green peace etc etc, They are actually rude if you're not driving a Subaru outback, Prius or Volvo lol

I had to travel down there yesterday and had an old woman dressed in the a-typical hemp clothing, with dreads, roll her window down and whilst shaking her head, screamed "You know how much good you could have done with ALL the money you wasted on that gas guzzling black cockmobile you arrogant b******?!?! IT'S BECAUSE OF A***HOLES LIKE YOU GLOBAL WARMING IS KILLING MOTHER EARTH!" (referring to my Gallardo) I turned and laughed at her and said  'Excuse me for doing something nice for myself, I've spent my entire grown life after highschool in the military sacrificing and laying my life on the line for the pedantic ramlbings of an ungrateful, imbecilic and asinine person such as you! And on top of that, I give a large amount of money to different charities each month, probably more than you make in a year!"  

Needless to say, she got a stricken look on her face and flipped a u-turn. lol And again, I've lost my faith in humanity and question my career choice..... :blush:

Edited by ColoradoParanormal, 02 April 2012 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users