Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do atheists feel empty?

• Please log in to reply
622 replies to this topic

#1    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

So last night at work I was talking with a co-worker that is an athiest. He said he found being an atheist depressing and empty. He says it sucks to know there is nothing after this life. This is not a view I typically hear so I was wondering if there are atheists here that also feel this way?

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#2    a vampire wears my boxers

a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

• like empty prayers from a disentigrating throat

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

i feel pretty good. not empty, not sad. this is the only life we get, live it and love it.

it looks like the upper hand, is on the other foot.

i guess they would say we could set this world ablaze

i have never tried to succeed at anything, therefore i have never failed.

#3    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

I certainly don't. I have a very happy and fulfilling life.
I don't care what happens when I die, cause I'll be dead!

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 31 March 2012 - 10:16 PM.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#4    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 31 March 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

So last night at work I was talking with a co-worker that is an athiest. He said he found being an atheist depressing and empty. He says it sucks to know there is nothing after this life. This is not a view I typically hear so I was wondering if there are atheists here that also feel this way?

No harm to you but that has to be the biggest joke to date  and  its only an hour away  from  it being April Fools day lol  ... Posted Image

No atheist is going to sit and say - Hey I am atheist, but man I feel so depressed  and empty...to know there is nothing for me after this life...sigh...    Who the heck comes out with that ?....If you chose to be atheist, you are not going to remain atheist if it makes you so depressed and empty  wondering about the afterlife?....  This does not make any sense ... and you make this the foundation for a thread
Question -  ................Why?

That is like a Christians guy saying - Hey I am a Christian...but sigh I feel so depressed being one..it sucks to follow Jesus and get nowhere....<-- Anyone would say Then don't be one...why  class yourself as something that depresses you?  Get over it and find something sensible to say  and to follow for that matter... !!

There must be a dozen of more threads  about Atheists  in the past few weeks  .. Like a collection... We could call this board - The Atheists greatest hits page  lol....   But this one takes the cookie...!!

I am sorry but I cannot believe your mini story in your OP, reason being is I just do not see  any logic in what you are saying....

Here is the thing - If someone  chooses  to be Atheist.. and it later makes them feel empty.. then don't you think they would  quit and move on to  oh I dunno  a belief  of some sort? Something that wont depress them?    

This is why your OP makes no sense ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 31 March 2012 - 10:26 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#5    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I would imagine that is the common view. I am curious if there is a significant number of atheists that feel empty or depressed. I feel like many atheists find comfort in their beliefs.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...

#6    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 31 March 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

No harm to you but that has to be the biggest joke to date  and  its only an hour away  from  it being April Fools day lol  ...

No atheist is going to sit and say - Hey I am atheist, but man I feel so depressed  and empty...to know there is nothing for me after this life...sigh...    Who the heck comes out with that tripe?....If you chose to be atheist, you are not going to remain atheist if it makes you so depressed and empty  wondering about the afterlife?....  This does not make any sense ... and you make this the foundation for a thread
Question -  ................Why?

That is like a Christians guy saying - Hey I am a Christian...but sigh I feel so depressed being one..it sucks to follow Jesus and get nowhere....<-- Anyone would say Then don't be one...why  class yourself as something that depresses you?  Get over it and find something sensible to say  and to follow for that matter... !!

There must be a dozen of more threads  about Atheists  in the past few weeks  .. Like a collection... We could call this board - The Atheists greatest hits page  lol....   But this one takes the cookie...

I am sorry but I cannot believe your mini story in your OP, reason being is I just do not see  any logic in what you are saying.... Here is the thing - If someone  chooses  to be Atheist.. and it later makes them feel empty.. then don't you think they would  quit and move on to  oh I dunno  a belief  of some sort? Something that wont depress them?    

This is why your OP makes no sense ..

Sorry if this post has been made over and over again. If that is the case, will one of the Mods please delete it for me?

It is not an April Fools joke. The reason I was asking is I have not heard this from an athiest before. Generally they find it "liberating."

What is with you people and "logic?" How is there no logic in what I am saying? Do you need more to the back story? The topic came up becasue he was having a debate with one of his Christian friends. He said he wishes there was something beyond this life but he also wants to have sex with Claudia Schiffer. His wanting something has nothing to do with reality. He sees there is no god and no evidence for a god. That depresses him but he doesn't see a reason to ignore the facts.

Are you suggesting that people simply ignore facts because it makes them feel good? That does not make logical sense. Should one not believe they have cancer because it will make them feel bad? Should one with cancer become a Christian just so it will make them feel better? So the only reason someone should beleive in something is because it makes them feel better? What is the point of science then?

Edited by HuttonEtAl, 31 March 2012 - 10:33 PM.

My "about me" page...

#7    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Accepting that there is no afterlife or divine creator has enabled me to possess more of an appreciation for life.

#8    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

It`s always disapointing to find out one has been lied to.  When I found out Santa was a lie I was disapointed but for some reason I still get presents every year.  As far as feeling empty or hollow hmmm your friend is confused. He should feel liberated.

Tell him the bonus of not having an all knowing being watch him every second means he no longer needs to feel guilty in the shower thinking of Claudia Schiffer  :tu:

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 31 March 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

Accepting that there is no afterlife or divine creator has enabled me to possess more of an appreciation for life.

I absolutely agree with this statement and think that most other atheists do as well.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#10    SikFly

SikFly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

plenty of religious people all over the world who commit suicide due to depression. So obviously religious folks can also get depressed to severe depression just as well as anyone. I think its called..a mental disorder!

#11    willowdreams

willowdreams

Psychic Spy

• 1,006 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 31 March 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

I am an agnostic with heaving leanings towards more of an atheist.

I feel relieved. I know now that *I* am responsible for things I think and do and or not do. It is good to know that I am not being told to blindly follow some path that somone i do not see nor feel has laid before me. I know now that I am responsible for every step i do or do not make.

When I get a job done, I can smile and sit back and say 'wow, that was really a lot of work and it feels good that I made it happen'. *I* made it happen.

When I see pple praise god for the strenth to do something, I wonder.. do they praise god for putting a job to hard for them to handle so they 'fail' or do they 'praise' Satan? I doubt it.

SSO if I am going to blame myself and not an invisible diety for things i fail at, why would I praise some invisible deity for the achievements I make that *I* put my own hard work into? If i fail and its my fault, then blame me, if I succeed then that too is my fault and I should be blamed for my good stuff too.

I feel better.

Sure I want to live forever, and always be knowing as I am now of me me me me. I understand though that in the process of this thing we call life.. that is most likely not going to happen, and it saddens me. But then again, pain saddens me, but it is part of life.

I just accept that not everything can happen that I want to happen and so I make the best of what I have NOW.

And I think when pple say that
not knowing what will happen after death, or knowing that nothing will exist after their own death, and they feel THAT is overshadowing every aspect of their life to a point of depression, then its a problem inside them, maybe a chemical imbalance.

I know Christians who feel they will go to heaven, still feel overshadowed by things and are depressed and unhappy.

I dont htink it is so much about their faith and what they exactly believe, because there IS plenty in life to make you smile and laugh and have deep personal moments of happiness. I think sometimes people are ill, and regardless of what they believe in spritually, some aspect of that believe is going to be magnified to a point of depression.

Sadly I know quite a few pple like that. A good doctor and medicine helps. As sometimes does therapy.

Posted Image

#12    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 31 March 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

What is with you people and "logic?"

Well.........it usually helps?

How is there no logic in what I am saying?  

It is like someone  standing in the cue for a Mc Donalds   saying to a friend  -  Sigh, I hate all this junk food, it makes me feel so sluggish  and depressed...   Hang on a sec -  Yes  I'll have large fries with that and can you super size  my meal? Thanks  !!  ............   Or someone saying  -  I am an alcoholic ...I feel so empty and depressed....  Hold up - What's this  happy hour  whoohooo.. make mind a double and  leave the bottle thanks  lol  ..........  Posted Image

The thing is.. If something in your life is making you feel empty and depresses you, you move on... You do not remain what you chose to be............  Same with employment... If you job sucks and it depresses you.. you would turn to the Job Ad's listed and keep searching to find something new ...ya know?   Logical and more practical...

Do you need more to the back story?         

No you are ok... I have laughed enough as it is.. If I keep laughing any more.. I'll burst...  Come one you have to see the funny side to all of this.. Posted Image

The topic came up becasue he was having a debate with one of his Christian friends.            

And he lost his debate with that statement you posted...  Any wonder  lol .....

He sees there is no god and no evidence for a god. That depresses him but he doesn't see a reason to ignore the facts.            

Here is it.. It is called holding a belief...He can hold a belief in something.. and still look at reality and facts....   I do it...  I beleive in God and the afterlife.. but I do not ignore facts of life...  It is possible...   Believing in God or some afterlife  is just a belief.. nothing more...  Way I see it is... If thee is no afterlife.. I wont know, because I'll be dead anyway ..No point in me getting depressed over that...Life is for living right? ..I know logic  ...it must  suck lol

Are you suggesting that people simply ignore facts because it makes them feel good?             

I suggest they learn what the term - Faith and Belief means  and understand that beliefs do not require facts.. they are called  beliefs / faith for a good reason...    Facts have no place in a supernatural belief....If they did .. then  it wouldn't be called faith now would it ?

Should one not believe they have cancer because it will make them feel bad?  

You are now confusing actual facts with  beliefs....  A perosn who learns they have cancer will know it is actual fact .... But even then  many wont sit feeling depressed,  they would father do something about it and get help ...A goal to reach  if possible..  

Should one with cancer become a Christian just so it will make them feel better?  

My mother in law did...She never set foot near a church to worship  in her life....But the moment she found she had breast cancer... She later got the all clear... Now nags  every week asking if she can take my kid to church with her.. She is a regular church goer...It shocked us all...  But many people will do this... They do it to be thankful they are alive.. OR to get spiritual help..

There are so many reasons why someone may turn over to Christianity ...  If you do not beleive me.. Just ask any Christian on here.. What made them turn to Christ.. You will find dozens of reasons... Many of those will consist of how they felt  they were spared by God...

So the only reason someone should beleive in something is because it makes them feel better?  

Just one of the many reasons.. No point in being part of something that will make you feel like crap....You have to at least feel good about it and it has to  appeal to you...  Of course other reasons too.. but yes,  feeling better  is a good start...If it doesn't make you feel better.. wouldn't you just leave it? ...Remember I said  it is only ONE of the many reasons...

What is the point of science then?    

Science does not require a belief.. It only requires the understand  of the facts it can present......  Same with scientific theories.. you accept the theories  if they make logical sense....... Science is not a religion or belief system

You would likely struggle to get through life without science...  You wont struggle  without a spiritual belief...   Big difference

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 01 April 2012 - 12:03 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#13    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

A depressed and empty person, who happens to be an atheist, will see being an atheist as depressing and empty. At least people holding faith in a religion have that hope that someday all will be better; God will save them from their gloom.

Think that might be that guy or girl's situation.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#14    TheNightOwl

TheNightOwl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

I'm an agnostic. I used to lean more to the atheist side. I didn't feel empty or anything, but I did drive myself nuts thinking things like, for example, "If there's no God, or superior force, then does that mean there is nothing inherent in the universe? If so, then do thinks such as "good" and "bad" really exist? Is every action one can do morally neutral?" I would watch the news and see a story about how, say, some pervert kidnapped and killed a kid. I would be disgusted, but then I would start thinking about the whole no God=no inherent morals thing and I would think "What if doing that isn't right or wrong? Perhaps I live in a universe where there is nothing inherently "wrong" with killing children?" Just thinking about it was disturbing.

#15    ai_guardian

ai_guardian

al-sifer .o.O.o. refic-ul

• 1,345 posts

• If you want to know what it will be like when you die, just remember back to what it was like before you were born.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Unfortunately, it seems to me, that the depression & sadness that there is nothing after this life can only, imho, stem from the belief that those that believe in an afterlife or a grand daddy in the sky might be right. I do not suffer from those thoughts therefore I have nothing to compare THIS LIFE to (except other lives I see around me) and as a result also see what I can/cannot accomplish/do in THIS LIFE. If ever I feel depressed or saddened it is because I did not do something as well as I could have, or I see someone not doing as well as it would seem they should do etc. etc. but ALL references are to what exists around me in reality, NOT on SOMEONE'S idea/fantasy/wishful thinking of what MAY be - that's where depression, imo, will set in.

Cheers
Guardian

"... there can be no certainty of the last Conclusion, without a certainty of all those Affirmations and Negations, on which it was grounded, and inferred. ... And therefore if a man should talk to me of ... Immateriall Substances; or of A free Subject; A free-will; or any Free, but free from being hindred by opposition, I should not say he were in an Errour, but that his words were without meaning; that is to say, Absurd. ..."[sic] Thomas Hobbes - Leviathan (1651)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users