Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do atheists feel empty?

CommunitarianKevin

So last night at work I was talking with a co-worker that is an athiest. He said he found being an atheist depressing and empty. He says it sucks to know there is nothing after this life. This is not a view I typically hear so I was wondering if there are atheists here that also feel this way?

i feel pretty good. not empty, not sad. this is the only life we get, live it and love it.

I certainly don't. I have a very happy and fulfilling life.

I don't care what happens when I die, cause I'll be dead!

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

So last night at work I was talking with a co-worker that is an athiest. He said he found being an atheist depressing and empty. He says it sucks to know there is nothing after this life. This is not a view I typically hear so I was wondering if there are atheists here that also feel this way?

No harm to you but that has to be the biggest joke to date and its only an hour away from it being April Fools day lol ... tongue.gif

No atheist is going to sit and say - Hey I am atheist, but man I feel so depressed and empty...to know there is nothing for me after this life...sigh... Who the heck comes out with that ?....If you chose to be atheist, you are not going to remain atheist if it makes you so depressed and empty wondering about the afterlife?.... This does not make any sense ... and you make this the foundation for a thread

Question - ................Why?

That is like a Christians guy saying - Hey I am a Christian...but sigh I feel so depressed being one..it sucks to follow Jesus and get nowhere....<-- Anyone would say Then don't be one...why class yourself as something that depresses you? Get over it and find something sensible to say and to follow for that matter... !!

There must be a dozen of more threads about Atheists in the past few weeks .. Like a collection... We could call this board - The Atheists greatest hits page lol.... But this one takes the cookie...!!

I am sorry but I cannot believe your mini story in your OP, reason being is I just do not see any logic in what you are saying....

Here is the thing - If someone chooses to be Atheist.. and it later makes them feel empty.. then don't you think they would quit and move on to oh I dunno a belief of some sort? Something that wont depress them?

This is why your OP makes no sense ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

I would imagine that is the common view. I am curious if there is a significant number of atheists that feel empty or depressed. I feel like many atheists find comfort in their beliefs.

• Like 1

No harm to you but that has to be the biggest joke to date and its only an hour away from it being April Fools day lol ...

No atheist is going to sit and say - Hey I am atheist, but man I feel so depressed and empty...to know there is nothing for me after this life...sigh... Who the heck comes out with that tripe?....If you chose to be atheist, you are not going to remain atheist if it makes you so depressed and empty wondering about the afterlife?.... This does not make any sense ... and you make this the foundation for a thread

Question - ................Why?

That is like a Christians guy saying - Hey I am a Christian...but sigh I feel so depressed being one..it sucks to follow Jesus and get nowhere....<-- Anyone would say Then don't be one...why class yourself as something that depresses you? Get over it and find something sensible to say and to follow for that matter... !!

There must be a dozen of more threads about Atheists in the past few weeks .. Like a collection... We could call this board - The Atheists greatest hits page lol.... But this one takes the cookie...

I am sorry but I cannot believe your mini story in your OP, reason being is I just do not see any logic in what you are saying.... Here is the thing - If someone chooses to be Atheist.. and it later makes them feel empty.. then don't you think they would quit and move on to oh I dunno a belief of some sort? Something that wont depress them?

This is why your OP makes no sense ..

Sorry if this post has been made over and over again. If that is the case, will one of the Mods please delete it for me?

It is not an April Fools joke. The reason I was asking is I have not heard this from an athiest before. Generally they find it "liberating."

What is with you people and "logic?" How is there no logic in what I am saying? Do you need more to the back story? The topic came up becasue he was having a debate with one of his Christian friends. He said he wishes there was something beyond this life but he also wants to have sex with Claudia Schiffer. His wanting something has nothing to do with reality. He sees there is no god and no evidence for a god. That depresses him but he doesn't see a reason to ignore the facts.

Are you suggesting that people simply ignore facts because it makes them feel good? That does not make logical sense. Should one not believe they have cancer because it will make them feel bad? Should one with cancer become a Christian just so it will make them feel better? So the only reason someone should beleive in something is because it makes them feel better? What is the point of science then?

Edited by HuttonEtAl

Accepting that there is no afterlife or divine creator has enabled me to possess more of an appreciation for life.

It`s always disapointing to find out one has been lied to. When I found out Santa was a lie I was disapointed but for some reason I still get presents every year. As far as feeling empty or hollow hmmm your friend is confused. He should feel liberated.

Tell him the bonus of not having an all knowing being watch him every second means he no longer needs to feel guilty in the shower thinking of Claudia Schiffer :tu:

• Like 1

Accepting that there is no afterlife or divine creator has enabled me to possess more of an appreciation for life.

I absolutely agree with this statement and think that most other atheists do as well.

plenty of religious people all over the world who commit suicide due to depression. So obviously religious folks can also get depressed to severe depression just as well as anyone. I think its called..a mental disorder!

I am an agnostic with heaving leanings towards more of an atheist.

I feel relieved. I know now that *I* am responsible for things I think and do and or not do. It is good to know that I am not being told to blindly follow some path that somone i do not see nor feel has laid before me. I know now that I am responsible for every step i do or do not make.

When I get a job done, I can smile and sit back and say 'wow, that was really a lot of work and it feels good that I made it happen'. *I* made it happen.

When I see pple praise god for the strenth to do something, I wonder.. do they praise god for putting a job to hard for them to handle so they 'fail' or do they 'praise' Satan? I doubt it.

SSO if I am going to blame myself and not an invisible diety for things i fail at, why would I praise some invisible deity for the achievements I make that *I* put my own hard work into? If i fail and its my fault, then blame me, if I succeed then that too is my fault and I should be blamed for my good stuff too.

I feel better.

Sure I want to live forever, and always be knowing as I am now of me me me me. I understand though that in the process of this thing we call life.. that is most likely not going to happen, and it saddens me. But then again, pain saddens me, but it is part of life.

I just accept that not everything can happen that I want to happen and so I make the best of what I have NOW.

And I think when pple say that

not knowing what will happen after death, or knowing that nothing will exist after their own death, and they feel THAT is overshadowing every aspect of their life to a point of depression, then its a problem inside them, maybe a chemical imbalance.

I know Christians who feel they will go to heaven, still feel overshadowed by things and are depressed and unhappy.

I dont htink it is so much about their faith and what they exactly believe, because there IS plenty in life to make you smile and laugh and have deep personal moments of happiness. I think sometimes people are ill, and regardless of what they believe in spritually, some aspect of that believe is going to be magnified to a point of depression.

Sadly I know quite a few pple like that. A good doctor and medicine helps. As sometimes does therapy.

What is with you people and "logic?"

Well.........it usually helps?

How is there no logic in what I am saying?

It is like someone standing in the cue for a Mc Donalds saying to a friend - Sigh, I hate all this junk food, it makes me feel so sluggish and depressed... Hang on a sec - Yes I'll have large fries with that and can you super size my meal? Thanks !! ............ Or someone saying - I am an alcoholic ...I feel so empty and depressed.... Hold up - What's this happy hour whoohooo.. make mind a double and leave the bottle thanks lol .......... tongue.gif

The thing is.. If something in your life is making you feel empty and depresses you, you move on... You do not remain what you chose to be............ Same with employment... If you job sucks and it depresses you.. you would turn to the Job Ad's listed and keep searching to find something new ...ya know? Logical and more practical...

Do you need more to the back story?

No you are ok... I have laughed enough as it is.. If I keep laughing any more.. I'll burst... Come one you have to see the funny side to all of this.. tongue.gif

The topic came up becasue he was having a debate with one of his Christian friends.

And he lost his debate with that statement you posted... Any wonder lol .....

He sees there is no god and no evidence for a god. That depresses him but he doesn't see a reason to ignore the facts.

Here is it.. It is called holding a belief...He can hold a belief in something.. and still look at reality and facts.... I do it... I beleive in God and the afterlife.. but I do not ignore facts of life... It is possible... Believing in God or some afterlife is just a belief.. nothing more... Way I see it is... If thee is no afterlife.. I wont know, because I'll be dead anyway ..No point in me getting depressed over that...Life is for living right? ..I know logic ...it must suck lol

Are you suggesting that people simply ignore facts because it makes them feel good?

I suggest they learn what the term - Faith and Belief means and understand that beliefs do not require facts.. they are called beliefs / faith for a good reason... Facts have no place in a supernatural belief....If they did .. then it wouldn't be called faith now would it ?

Should one not believe they have cancer because it will make them feel bad?

You are now confusing actual facts with beliefs.... A perosn who learns they have cancer will know it is actual fact .... But even then many wont sit feeling depressed, they would father do something about it and get help ...A goal to reach if possible..

Should one with cancer become a Christian just so it will make them feel better?

My mother in law did...She never set foot near a church to worship in her life....But the moment she found she had breast cancer... She later got the all clear... Now nags every week asking if she can take my kid to church with her.. She is a regular church goer...It shocked us all... But many people will do this... They do it to be thankful they are alive.. OR to get spiritual help..

There are so many reasons why someone may turn over to Christianity ... If you do not beleive me.. Just ask any Christian on here.. What made them turn to Christ.. You will find dozens of reasons... Many of those will consist of how they felt they were spared by God...

So the only reason someone should beleive in something is because it makes them feel better?

Just one of the many reasons.. No point in being part of something that will make you feel like crap....You have to at least feel good about it and it has to appeal to you... Of course other reasons too.. but yes, feeling better is a good start...If it doesn't make you feel better.. wouldn't you just leave it? ...Remember I said it is only ONE of the many reasons...

What is the point of science then?

Science does not require a belief.. It only requires the understand of the facts it can present...... Same with scientific theories.. you accept the theories if they make logical sense....... Science is not a religion or belief system

You would likely struggle to get through life without science... You wont struggle without a spiritual belief... Big difference

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

A depressed and empty person, who happens to be an atheist, will see being an atheist as depressing and empty. At least people holding faith in a religion have that hope that someday all will be better; God will save them from their gloom.

Think that might be that guy or girl's situation.

• Like 1

I'm an agnostic. I used to lean more to the atheist side. I didn't feel empty or anything, but I did drive myself nuts thinking things like, for example, "If there's no God, or superior force, then does that mean there is nothing inherent in the universe? If so, then do thinks such as "good" and "bad" really exist? Is every action one can do morally neutral?" I would watch the news and see a story about how, say, some pervert kidnapped and killed a kid. I would be disgusted, but then I would start thinking about the whole no God=no inherent morals thing and I would think "What if doing that isn't right or wrong? Perhaps I live in a universe where there is nothing inherently "wrong" with killing children?" Just thinking about it was disturbing.

Unfortunately, it seems to me, that the depression & sadness that there is nothing after this life can only, imho, stem from the belief that those that believe in an afterlife or a grand daddy in the sky might be right. I do not suffer from those thoughts therefore I have nothing to compare THIS LIFE to (except other lives I see around me) and as a result also see what I can/cannot accomplish/do in THIS LIFE. If ever I feel depressed or saddened it is because I did not do something as well as I could have, or I see someone not doing as well as it would seem they should do etc. etc. but ALL references are to what exists around me in reality, NOT on SOMEONE'S idea/fantasy/wishful thinking of what MAY be - that's where depression, imo, will set in.

Cheers

Guardian

• Like 1

There is only one time that I felt a tiny touch of that feeling and that was when I was struggling with the fact that I was having a hard time believing in god. This was when I was going through my searching for answers. Just about everyone and everywhere I looked told me that you are suppose to believe in god. My family isn't religious but no one said they did or didn't believe in god. But friends, school, billboards, tv shows, commercials, church signs, just society in general told me you're suppose to believe in god to be happy, to go to heaven, to be successful and to be liked. This is what the world told me.

But I didn't believe in god. I never admitted it to myself let alone anyone else. But I just didn't believe this story I was being told. I didn't believe there was a god or the storys of the bible. It just didn't click as something believable to me.

So at a point in my life where I really decided to face this issue. Those questions did feel disturbing. The idea of not being able to go to heaven was scary and as a result I fell into this inner battle. That something was wrong with me for not being able to believe in god like a good person should. I felt guilty, alone, scared and many other conflicting emotions during this inner struggle.

But I finally got to the point where I decided to stop trying to believe in god. I simply decided that I was just going to go with my instinct. I also found out at this time in my life that I was not alone on this issue. That there are many people that don't believe in god and live happy and productive lives. When this happened I no longer felt those contradictIng emotions. It was actually a very opening experience. A huge relief was lifted from me. A very freeing experience.

I'm not trying to seem corny but it's hard to describe the feeling. Contrary to what many religious people would think. Letting go of that didn't in any way make me feel cut off from anything. Instead, I felt more connected to the world. Less restricted. I was presented with more possibilities and less restrictions. I could do bad or good and the consequences and responsibility of my actions are my own. If I want to be liked its up to me to earne that. If I want to be hated its up to me to earne that and face the consequences here while I'm alive instead of after I'm dead.

But I agree. Once someone really makes the conscious decision that they don't believe in god. It's highly unlikely that they'll say they hate being an atheist. Because making that decision requires them feel the lifted burden.

Edited by Magicjax

Well.........it usually helps?

It is like someone standing in the cue for a Mc Donalds saying to a friend - Sigh, I hate all this junk food, it makes me feel so sluggish and depressed... Hang on a sec - Yes I'll have large fries with that and can you super size my meal? Thanks !! ............ Or someone saying - I am an alcoholic ...I feel so empty and depressed.... Hold up - What's this happy hour whoohooo.. make mind a double and leave the bottle thanks lol .......... tongue.gif

The thing is.. If something in your life is making you feel empty and depresses you, you move on... You do not remain what you chose to be............ Same with employment... If you job sucks and it depresses you.. you would turn to the Job Ad's listed and keep searching to find something new ...ya know? Logical and more practical...

No you are ok... I have laughed enough as it is.. If I keep laughing any more.. I'll burst... Come one you have to see the funny side to all of this.. tongue.gif

And he lost his debate with that statement you posted... Any wonder lol .....

Here is it.. It is called holding a belief...He can hold a belief in something.. and still look at reality and facts.... I do it... I beleive in God and the afterlife.. but I do not ignore facts of life... It is possible... Believing in God or some afterlife is just a belief.. nothing more... Way I see it is... If thee is no afterlife.. I wont know, because I'll be dead anyway ..No point in me getting depressed over that...Life is for living right? ..I know logic ...it must suck lol

I suggest they learn what the term - Faith and Belief means and understand that beliefs do not require facts.. they are called beliefs / faith for a good reason... Facts have no place in a supernatural belief....If they did .. then it wouldn't be called faith now would it ?

You are now confusing actual facts with beliefs.... A perosn who learns they have cancer will know it is actual fact .... But even then many wont sit feeling depressed, they would father do something about it and get help ...A goal to reach if possible..

My mother in law did...She never set foot near a church to worship in her life....But the moment she found she had breast cancer... She later got the all clear... Now nags every week asking if she can take my kid to church with her.. She is a regular church goer...It shocked us all... But many people will do this... They do it to be thankful they are alive.. OR to get spiritual help..

There are so many reasons why someone may turn over to Christianity ... If you do not beleive me.. Just ask any Christian on here.. What made them turn to Christ.. You will find dozens of reasons... Many of those will consist of how they felt they were spared by God...

Just one of the many reasons.. No point in being part of something that will make you feel like crap....You have to at least feel good about it and it has to appeal to you... Of course other reasons too.. but yes, feeling better is a good start...If it doesn't make you feel better.. wouldn't you just leave it? ...Remember I said it is only ONE of the many reasons...

Science does not require a belief.. It only requires the understand of the facts it can present...... Same with scientific theories.. you accept the theories if they make logical sense....... Science is not a religion or belief system

You would likely struggle to get through life without science... You wont struggle without a spiritual belief... Big difference

blah blah blah blah blah. No time to read all of your stuff, it is time for bed. Just do this for me...next time you want to talk about logic use premises and conclusions and just show what is invalid or how the conclusions does not follow the premises.

And no reason to get on my ass about this. I agree with what almost everyone is saying. I have never heard an atheist make the claim that they are depressed or empty and that is why I was asking...to see if any other atheists shared this opinion. This has nothing to do with the logic of my question or whether or not I think he is totally right or wrong. I just wanted to see if anyone shared his view. You need to realx. If you do not like a thread, don't post in it. You do not need to come in here with an opinion on everything thinking everyone is illogical or stupid.

While we are on the topic of laughing, one thing that makes me laugh is that you have almost 46,000 posts. That is mildly humorous.

Edited by HuttonEtAl

I don't feel that way at all. I feel that my life has more meaning than a religious persons.

If you care about your co-worker you should help them. Sounds like they need your support at the moment if they really told you that. You might be the only person they've revealed this to...

You can't force yourself to believe in something. The idea of a personal god and everlasting life is an appealing one. I'd be delighted if it were true. But I can't believe it just because it would be nice.

For many people, atheism isn't a choice. And I believe that fear of oblivion after death drives some to believe in god. So if you fear oblivion, but cannot believe in god - that's a potentially depressing scenario.

Personally I view oblivion as being the same as I experienced before I was born, so I don't fear it. But I'd like to be around a little longer yet.

Whether you get crocked by natural causes, mass disaster, at the hands of psycho or genocidal maniac etc etc, atheist view is simple, tough cookie, that's how it crumbles. Atheism is dark bleak world view with no hope no empathy and it's very empty.

You can't force yourself to believe in something. The idea of a personal god and everlasting life is an appealing one. I'd be delighted if it were true. But I can't believe it just because it would be nice.

For many people, atheism isn't a choice. And I believe that fear of oblivion after death drives some to believe in god. So if you fear oblivion, but cannot believe in god - that's a potentially depressing scenario.

Personally I view oblivion as being the same as I experienced before I was born, so I don't fear it. But I'd like to be around a little longer yet.

I feel the exact same way. I knew of nothing then, and will know of nothing after I am gone. Some people seem to think that is a bad thing, but I don't. It just makes me appreciate all that I have now all the more.

Whether you get crocked by natural causes, mass disaster, at the hands of psycho or genocidal maniac etc etc, atheist view is simple, tough cookie, that's how it crumbles. Atheism is dark bleak world view with no hope no empathy and it's very empty.

Lion, whatever, I swear sometimes you just try to pick fights with them. You know that empathy doesn't have to have anything to do with God. You could say people who believe in God and treat other people's as brothers and sisters because God or Jesus or Mohammad told them to you have less empathy than a person with no belief in God that just feels how someone else would feel if they were them, a connection to another human being does not have to have anything to do with a belief in a deity. You know this, I just think you like to irritate them.

You are right, it drives some to believe in God but these people will find no real comfort in their level of belief as it is uninformed and unsubstantiated in their own minds-which is why depression and suicide are just as common across believers/non-believers alike perhaps.

Faith/belief is either based on a comprehension of something profoundly real to the individual or it is as substantive as a belief in Santa or the Tooth Fairy. As a believer, I don't appreciate people being converted out of fear of what comes after life, it's playing to people's attachment to living, not informing them of what actually is which would provide solid ground and a potential to gleaning wisdom from what they believe. People should stand based upon what they Know, not what their emotions drive them to attach themselves to because it makes them feel good.

Atheism is dark bleak world view with no hope no empathy and it's very empty.

Painfully common misconception. :/

Atheism is dark bleak world view with no hope no empathy and it's very empty.

Not at all... I can honestly say that I am very, very happy with how my life is going. I have a lot of empathy - in fact, whenever I hear about children being murdered, or see a paedophile being convicted of raping a child on the news, I tend to shed a tear. It breaks my heart to hear of such stories.

Just because I don't profess the same mindset as you, that doesn't mean I am any less human; nor does it mean that I don't have a heart. I have a very big heart, and anybody who has had a personal encounter with me will attest to this notion.

While I may have a condition that others see as a curse, it has encouraged me to cherish even the smallest things in life. Every day I step outside, I look to the sky, and say... "I am glad to be alive. It is a great day", or when I sit outside in the summer with a book, the hot sun beating down on my face... I am thankful to be alive. And so many people take these things for granted.

You see, I love life just as much as you do.

Edited by Alienated Being