Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The link between fast food and depression

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,360 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

www.eurekalert.org said:

According to a recent study headed by scientists from the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and the University of Granada, eating commercial baked goods (fairy cakes, croissants, doughnuts, etc.) and fast food (hamburgers, hotdogs and pizza) is linked to depression.

Published in the Public Health Nutrition journal, the results reveal that consumers of fast food, compared to those who eat little or none, are 51% more likely to develop depression.

Furthermore, a dose-response relationship was observed. In other words this means that "the more fast food you consume, the greater the risk of depression," explains Almudena Sánchez-Villegas, lead author of the study, to SINC.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." - 1 John 4:8

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Not surprising, most of the fast food has chemicals which will definitely affect the body. We are also learning that sugar is a drug. It is toxic and it is addictive and can cause laziness, fatness, and diabetes.

Love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the ungrateful and to the evil. - Luke 6:35

#3    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,083 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

I stopped eating fast food and drinking soft drinks about 6 months ago and I can attest that I feel so much better than I ever did before. I have more energy, I'm not as lazy and I've dropped a considerable amount of weight.
I can't look at fast foods with anything but disgust anymore.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

Its all processed crap with a ton of sugar,chemicals,and modified wheat and corn starches.
I have no doubt it causes a whole lot more than depression .

Miss me?

#5    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Food can also be entangled with loneliness and depression in that those who suffer through loneliness will eat more for the comfort it brings. A depressed individual will already have lowered executive function which will lead to giving in to the temptation of eating which provides comfort through massaging the esophagus, the same type of comfort we could also derive from a social connection where touching occurs on some level.

Self regulation can be impaired due to loneliness and or depression and have nothing whatsoever to do with how strong someone's will is or notions of personal responsibility.

In one study using three groups, one group was told that they were the type that others loved to be around  and that they were most likely to marry and have many friends in life according to the results of a test, another group was informed that they were most likely to end up alone, unable to maintain social relationships, they might get married but would divorce each time, and the third group of the study were made to believe that they fell in the category of those who would have accidents later in life even if they have not had many.

One part of the study had them rating cookies. Instructions were to eat only as many as needed to judge accurately. Those with a forecast of loneliness ate twice as many as those who were promised friends. They also rated them higher but even when they did not they kept eating.  

Loneliness can also affect intelligence: Effects of Social Exclusion on Cognitive Processes : Anticipated Aloneness Reduces Intelligent Thought

#6    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,716 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Most of these processed food products are probably made with flouridated water as a base. People wonder why the USA has such an incidence of Depession too. It's funny, several other countries that don't flouridate their water supplies have almost zero Pineal calicifications. Go figure. This gland plays a role in hormonal balance, which is crucial during developmental years.

http://www.fluoridea.../health/pineal/

Edited by Spid3rCyd3, 03 April 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,174 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:31 AM

Great. I can explain my depression on tap water and taco bell.
Well, at least it's better than the " non-answers" from my docs.

#8    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

Well, I am feeling rather depressed today, so I am about to go out for a nice Kentucky Fried Chicken , chips, and a coke. It's about the only fast food I really like.
Actually i am joking about the depression bit. I do actually like KFC but the others, like McDonalds, I eat about once a year if I am hungry and there happens to be a McD nearby lol.
Just one thing....why do McD insist on sticking those pickled gurkin thingies in all their biurgers. that;s enough to depress anyone :lol:

#9    Mike G

Mike G

Psychic Spy

• 1,174 posts

• Skeptical of the skeptics.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

Correlation should not be confused with causation. There could be others factors involved, like those who buy more fast food and sugary treats, which are generally over-priced, are depressed because they have less money than those who don't.

Likewise, one study does not really prove anything. This must be replicated using various samples to even come close to being considered solid supportive evidence of a link.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users