Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Hey my Atheist brothers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    TonyMayer

TonyMayer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

hey everyone. I'm a new convert to atheims. I was googoing atheism and spirituality and religion and my search sent me here. My parents are uber christians i discovered richard dawkings and the other 3 athiests. I have not read much but they are so enlightening. I see there are many atheists here and I wanted to know if you knew the best books by dawkings and his partners. I want to read their books so i can explain my beliefs to my parents at some point. Thank you my friends.

#2    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostTonyMayer, on 03 April 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

hey everyone. I'm a new convert to atheims. I was googoing atheism and spirituality and religion and my search sent me here. My parents are uber christians i discovered richard dawkings and the other 3 athiests. I have not read much but they are so enlightening. I see there are many atheists here and I wanted to know if you knew the best books by dawkings and his partners. I want to read their books so i can explain my beliefs to my parents at some point. Thank you my friends.

Wow...that is a first post...glad to have you here. I assume you are talking about Richard Dawkins. If you like Dawkins I would suggest The Greatest Show on Earth. Personally, I would look into Thomas Negal and Alister McGrath. They have some good stuff. Good luck.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#3    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 1,743 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Welcome Tony.

If you want to really offend your parents then  "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and "God Is Not Great" by Chris Hitchens should do it.

Anything by Michael Shermer ("Why Smart People Believe Weird Things" and "Why Darwin Matters") tends to be less confrontational.

If Science and Evolution interests you, then Hutton is right about "The Greatest Show On Earth". In fact anything by Dawkins or Stephen Jay Gould should make for some good reading.

Good Luck

#4    a vampire wears my boxers

a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

• like empty prayers from a disentigrating throat

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

hahaha! so the only ahteists are yourself, Dawkins, and three other guys? LOL just kidding. welcome to the jungle!

it looks like the upper hand, is on the other foot.

i guess they would say we could set this world ablaze

i have never tried to succeed at anything, therefore i have never failed.

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,392 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostTonyMayer, on 03 April 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

Speak from the heart and you won't need any books.

#6    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Not buying the OP  I feel it is a joke... Most likely because  it is noted that we are over run with  Atheist threads... I feel this is someone pulling your legs.  I mean come on    my atheist brothers?  I need to google info  on Atheism?  And the 1st part of the sentence  is -> I'm a new convert to atheims   <--  Convert to spelling it right would be a start..I know we should not point out spelling but I feel he spelt it like that for a laugh.....  This has to be a joke ..lol Posted Image

If it is for real and not a joke, then I will be surprised.. but it is not the 1dt time someone  made up another ID to trick so many on here for laughs...Multi ID's  seem to go on a lot ...  And If someone was googling Atheism.. it is no wonder it came up as top search choice results.. the amount of Atheist threads on  here is  more than I have ever seen...
Oh and If I ma wrong about the OP being a joke.. so be it. I apologise  in advance...but I have a weird feeling  Posted Image

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 03 April 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#7    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

I find it quite funny to see that you "converted to atheism". As far as I know, atheism is not a religion or even a philosophy. It is simply not beleiving in a God/deity/creator etc.

Peace.

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#8    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,166 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 03 April 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

Not buying the OP  I feel it is a joke... Most likely because  it is noted that we are over run with  Atheist threads... I feel this is someone pulling your legs.  I mean come on    my atheist brothers?  I need to google info  on Atheism?  And the 1st part of the sentence  is -> I'm a new convert to atheims   <--  Convert to spelling it right would be a start..I know we should not point out spelling but I feel he spelt it like that for a laugh.....  This has to be a joke ..lol Posted Image

If it is for real and not a joke, then I will be surprised.. but it is not the 1dt time someone  made up another ID to trick so many on here for laughs...Multi ID's  seem to go on a lot ...  And If someone was googling Atheism.. it is no wonder it came up as top search choice results.. the amount of Atheist threads on  here is  more than I have ever seen...
Oh and If I ma wrong about the OP being a joke.. so be it. I apologise  in advance...but I have a weird feeling  Posted Image

I'm with you BM.  Strikes me as very odd.

If I'm wrong - apologies to the OP.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#9    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostArbenol68, on 03 April 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

Welcome Tony.

If you want to really offend your parents then  "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and "God Is Not Great" by Chris Hitchens should do it.

Anything by Michael Shermer ("Why Smart People Believe Weird Things" and "Why Darwin Matters") tends to be less confrontational.

If Science and Evolution interests you, then Hutton is right about "The Greatest Show On Earth". In fact anything by Dawkins or Stephen Jay Gould should make for some good reading.

Good Luck

If "converting" to having an atheist belief is his goal of higher meaning then why would the act of "offending your parents" be so important. Would you not consider this a childish statement for us adults to read? Just a question not meant to offend but I find the reasoniing difficult to understand.

Robbie James

#10    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 1,743 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostRobbie333, on 03 April 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

If "converting" to having an atheist belief is his goal of higher meaning then why would the act of "offending your parents" be so important. Would you not consider this a childish statement for us adults to read? Just a question not meant to offend but I find the reasoniing difficult to understand.

You read too much into my comments. I'm often not entirely serious about what I write. I do it cos I find it amusing how you can often write a (sometimes lengthy) post and the response you get is someone picking out one word, or correcting your grammar and ignoring what's actually been said.

So, there's no reasoning to understand - just a bit of devilment.

#11    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,332 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hey, nice to see ya. I tried atheism but didn't work for me. :( Still, I agree with atheists on many issues. Welcome aboard.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#12    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 03 April 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Hey, nice to see ya. I tried atheism but didn't work for me. :( Still, I agree with atheists on many issues. Welcome aboard.

Ron Jeremy...awesome...

I agree with many of you. This thread does appear to be a joke...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,645 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Welcome to UM TonyMayer.  Take off your coat and sit a spell...you'll enjoy it here. :devil:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#14    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

If you're serious, I'd actually recommend a book of essays by Robert Ingersoll. While Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennet, and Harris are more relevant, muchof what's to be said about religion has already been said (Though I do enjoy Hitchen's word use, personally.)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#15    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Is this just a rebellion against your 'uber Christian' parents? You can't convert to atheism as its not a religion. Read up on some evolution book and science stuff :)

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users