Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

SOPA now becomes CISPA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Source: RTAmerica

Description from video:
The latest attempt by Congress to try to regulate and control the Internet is no longer known as SOPA but CISPA: the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act. The SOPA-like bill would give companies the power to collect information on their subscribers and hand it over to the government and all they have to do is request it. Kendall Burman, senior national security fellow for the Center for Democracy and Technology, joins Liz Wahl to talk about what this means for online freedoms.

Any one know anything about this? it's the first I've heard of it.

Let's just hope we can squash this one. It's getting a little annoying now. lol

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

This is the first I've heard of it as well. I guess the politicians keep thinking that if they can just tweak the title enough they'll fool the rest of us dumb Americans. :rolleyes: I did a search on Bing and the first search result is from the ACLU website where they state the ACLU's opposition to H.R. 3523. The Center for Democracy & Technology is the other group weighing in against the bill.  Mcafee supports it, as do many others.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,724 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Then lets hope that they did not only change the name but also parts of the content (nothing against protection against piracy, but certainly against companies being capable of securing all rights for every smell they accidentally cause). Else the opposition is forming!

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• 1,772 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 04 April 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Then lets hope that they did not only change the name but also parts of the content (nothing against protection against piracy, but certainly against companies being capable of securing all rights for every smell they accidentally cause). Else the opposition is forming!

The opposition is forming already lol. The problem is that this law is just too broad, the information collected on you could be passed on for any number of reasons.

#5    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Anonymous took down the British home office/gov sites yesterday http://worldnews.msn...ter-threat?lite

I wonder if it is because of the latest spate of articles being pumped out about Europes/UK version of sopa.

http://www.dailymail...-hand-data.html

I thought this would have been posted about by now!

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#6    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostDark entity, on 04 April 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Source: RTAmerica

Description from video:
The latest attempt by Congress to try to regulate and control the Internet is no longer known as SOPA but CISPA: the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act. The SOPA-like bill would give companies the power to collect information on their subscribers and hand it over to the government and all they have to do is request it.

I will support this bill, but only if they call it the "Personal Information Collection Act", or maybe IOPA ( Intrusion of Privacy Act ).

Edited by Illuminerdi, 08 April 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#7    Insaniac

Insaniac

Psychic Spy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

Absolute power corrupts absolutley. This is a great example. These people are so power-mad that they want the rights to something that doesn't exist in reality.

Edited by Insaniac, 09 April 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

To mis-quote the late great Bill Shakespeare... "A pile of poo by any other name would still stink to high heavens"...

Like questionmark said, I have nothing against protecting against 'piracy', but the original wording of the SOPA bill was clearly over the line...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users