Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World’s quietest place: could you stand it?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

They say silence is golden – but there’s a room in the U.S that’s so quiet it becomes unbearable after a short time.

The longest that anyone has survived in the ‘anechoic chamber’ at Orfield Laboratories in South Minneapolis is just 45 minutes.

It’s 99.99 per cent sound absorbent and holds the Guinness World Record for the world’s quietest place, but stay there too long and you may start hallucinating.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,624 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Oh I'm just biting at the bit for a shot at that, imagine really hearing "yourself", I think it would be awesome.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,639 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

I have Tinnitus so bad that if I don't have some white noise in the room I cannot sleep.  I don't think I'd do well in this little room.  The ringing in my ears would drive me mad.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,624 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

View Postand then, on 04 April 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

I have Tinnitus so bad that if I don't have some white noise in the room I cannot sleep.  I don't think I'd do well in this little room.  The ringing in my ears would drive me mad.

Ouch, I can actually imagine how bad that would be.  Me thinks alot of people would discover their Tinnitus in this room amongst other things.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#5    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,092 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Didn't they used to put astronauts through a similar situation by putting them in a sound and light proof chamber for an extended period of time? I thought I saw that in a movie once.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 04 April 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Didn't they used to put astronauts through a similar situation by putting them in a sound and light proof chamber for an extended period of time? I thought I saw that in a movie once.
Yes, it says that in the article.

The chamber is used by companies all over America – including Nasa, which puts their astronauts to the test in there, floating in a water-filled container, to see ‘how long it takes before hallucinations take place and whether they could work through it’

Guess who didn't click on the link  :P

Posted Image

#7    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,092 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 04 April 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Yes, it says that in the article.

The chamber is used by companies all over America – including Nasa, which puts their astronauts to the test in there, floating in a water-filled container, to see ‘how long it takes before hallucinations take place and whether they could work through it’

Guess who didn't click on the link  :P
I skimmed over the article. I'm busted.  :rofl:

I'm still trying to remember which movie I saw that in though.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,737 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

It would make a librarian scream.

#9    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,114 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

I bet if you held a 5 year old birthday party in there the noise would permeate the walls.

‘How you orient yourself is through sounds you hear when you walk. In the anechnoic chamber, you don't have any cues. You take away the perceptual cues that allow you to balance and manoeuvre. If you're in there for half an hour, you have to be in a chair.’

I would love to give it a crack. I wonder if you would be allowed to take a good book in with you?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#10    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Sounds like the perfect place to take your wife for a holiday :)

#11    Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• All credibility, all good
    conscience, all evidence of
    truth come only from the
    senses. Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hmm.. I wonder if somebody born deaf would beat the 45 minute record :huh:

#12    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,762 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

45 minutes doesn't sound very impressive...

Posted Image

#13    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,508 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 04 April 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

I skimmed over the article. I'm busted.  :rofl:

I'm still trying to remember which movie I saw that in though.

Armaggedon...

#14    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

If you can hear your own bodily functions, heart beat etc., couldn't you hear other things? What if you hummed or clapped your hands? It would be muffled by not bouncing back at you I suppose, but you would still hear it I would think.

I'd need a chair in there just because I wouldn't want to stand up for 45 mins. :P

Embrace the impossible.

#15    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,762 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

View PostPurplos, on 05 April 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

If you can hear your own bodily functions, heart beat etc., couldn't you hear other things? What if you hummed or clapped your hands? It would be muffled by not bouncing back at you I suppose, but you would still hear it I would think.

I'd need a chair in there just because I wouldn't want to stand up for 45 mins. :P
Yeah one of the reasons you sound so different when you hear your voice played back to you is because of the internal component that reverberate within your body. You would still hear yourself making noises, anything internal.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users