Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Spooky scenes on Guildford ghost hunt - Video

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

www.getsurrey.co.uk said:

Caused such a stir among paranormal investigators that the Surrey Advertiser was asked to join a ghost hunt near the town and film the events that took place.Shots of what seemed to be a ghostly figure standing in the mist, some way above the cemetery on The Mount. Posted Image Read more...

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

The historical aspect of that location has my interest piqued! Thanks for sharing this, Karlis.

Edit..... I am thinking that 'The Mount' is a local reference to Hog's Back because I cannot perform any search that will show something just for 'The Mount' in or near Guildford.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    readerlurker

readerlurker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Nothing to see here folks! Move along!

#4    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

I always find the night aspect of ghost hunting most amusing. Do you suppose this is because ghosts sleep during the day?

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

No, I would suppose it's because darkness blots out a lot of otherwise distracting visual stimulation. Otherwise why turn off the lights at the cinema or theatre? It's to focus your attention toward one thing.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

I have always supposed that hunting for ghosts at night had more to do with the fact that for some reason things feel creepier to humans at night, thus increasing the likelihood that hunters will experience something that will reinforce their belief that the ghosts they are looking for are real.  My personal view is that hunting for ghosts at night is an extension of the confirmation bias that is present in many, though possibly not all paranormal investigations.

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

The one picture I used to have that came closest to being what I would say is a ghost photo that I took myself, was taken in broad daylight at a plantation north of where I live. Yes, I went there knowing it was haunted and hoping to have an experience, but nothing happened. At the end of the tour when I was standing in the doorway of the house leading outside chatting with the tour guide, the lights flickered a bit, and the tour guide gave me this knowing look. I guess she either didn't notice or chose to ignore the people across the room near the light switch. I think knowing the details of what others have experienced at a haunted location provides way more of a confirmation bias than just being there at night as opposed to daytime.

#8    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Absolutely.  We piggyback on the shared experiences of others all the time in this manner.  I'd love to see your photo.  I may seem like a prickly skeptic, but I really do have an open mind to these kinds of things.  I just haven't seen anything, or experienced anything firsthand that has convinced me to abandon my skeptical approach.  It would be exciting if I ever did.  :)

#9    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I lost the photo during my many moves in 2005.  I moved more during that year than I ever have in my entire life. LOTS of stuff of mine was lost. :( A whole trunk of stuff, which I have concluded was where that photo was being stored. One of the moves was from one end of the country to the other.

#10    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thats too bad.  Its always something isn't it?  Well maybe you'll get lucky another time.  :)

#11    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I suppose if it's meant to be, it will happen again.

#12    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,182 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 05 April 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

I have always supposed that hunting for ghosts at night had more to do with the fact that for some reason things feel creepier to humans at night, thus increasing the likelihood that hunters will experience something that will reinforce their belief that the ghosts they are looking for are real.  My personal view is that hunting for ghosts at night is an extension of the confirmation bias that is present in many, though possibly not all paranormal investigations.

Perfect.....

Also, our eyes are not made to see in the dark, we are not nocturnal. ( Yes a movie theater is dark, but the screen is not )

It is a lot easier for sounds, and shadows to play tricks on us, and the Psychological part.......I will leave that for another day.

Funniest thing about this ( yes, I counted ) about 96% of sightings from witnesses on the internet, and on Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures were during the day, or with full lights on....

IE : Tour Guides and visitors, working, watching TV, etc.....

So, now where is the excuse?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#13    fordman1977

fordman1977

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Humans, years back, actually had better vision than because we didn't have all these artificial light sources. As for ghost hunting at night, it could be because they work during the day. There are a lot of groups that don't charge for the hunts.

#14    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,182 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

View Postfordman1977, on 05 April 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Humans, years back, actually had better vision than because we didn't have all these artificial light sources. As for ghost hunting at night, it could be because they work during the day. There are a lot of groups that don't charge for the hunts.

Uhm, ok......

Source please......... :yes:

And humans years back did not go ghost hunting :)

The hunting at night, if it is a local working group, if the sightings are all during the day or with lights on, why not go on days off?......And still, why turn lights off?

Edited by Sakari, 05 April 2012 - 06:09 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#15    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostSakari, on 05 April 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Uhm, ok......

Source please......... :yes:

And humans years back did not go ghost hunting :)

The hunting at night, if it is a local working group, if the sightings are all during the day or with lights on, why not go on days off?......And still, why turn lights off?

Yes, I too would be interested in seeing the source for claiming human's saw better at night?

To expand on the natural fear of night regarding humans. Humans have a natural reaction to darkness. Night, historically, meant a time of insecurity. Most big predators hunt at night, humans cannot see well at night, and armed with spears and primitive tools, they stood no chance against lions, bears etc. Until flashlights and electricity were invented, humans were left with nothing more than a torch for night lighting. And if you know, fire doesn't give you more than a few feet of night visibility. Thus, why humans lived in fortified homes and stayed inside after dark.

As time progressed, humans still stayed inside at night, for fear of highwaymen and the scourge of society were the only ones out and about. This is where the folklore of demons, ghosts, witches etc came about. They would tell stories of things happening after dark which fed on the primal instinct of the fear of dark.

Suffice to say, this lead into modern day, and why these "Ghost" shows are shot at night. They feed into that primitive fear people have of something happening at night. If it's "scary" it must happen at night right? lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users