Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

I Want To Believe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    JohnnyRico

JohnnyRico

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

I want to believe, but this darn "rational thought" sickness just keeps affecting my judgment.  I think the cure for this is called "grasping at straws."

Attached Files

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,215 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

To me it looks like a bird trying to lite on a log.  That much I can believe.

#3    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostJohnnyRico, on 04 April 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

I want to believe, but this darn "rational thought" sickness just keeps affecting my judgment.  I think the cure for this is called "grasping at straws."

Classic cryptid image, :tu: makes me smile every time.

I think this image is a great representation of the mindset of the greater cryptid community.

I want to believe too. Unfortunately I have had a pesky case of RTS for years now.  :wacko:

Edited by evancj, 04 April 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#4    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Great first post.  :D

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,843 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Welcome!!   :st

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,215 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry I missed that in my first post.

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,891 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostJohnnyRico, on 04 April 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Why do you want to believe?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#8    JohnnyRico

JohnnyRico

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostOffeiriad, on 05 April 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Why do you want to believe?

I was just being facetious with my subject title.  But just think of the plethora of new scientific fields that would be created to study such phenomena like Bigfoot, Nessie, aliens, God, etc. - if they existed.  Not to mention how enjoyable it would be to watch "real" discovery channel episodes on these subjects (instead of the usual biased hack).  Just think how cool a show on analyzing the flight techniques of holy angels would be or studying the maternal instincts of a Sasquatch.  So, I kind of get where these believers are coming from.  In my case though, this damn RTS is incurable.

But real life is so much more interesting.  These supposed cryptozoologists got it all wrong (and I definitely include Moneymaker & crew).  Why waste their time studying non-existent creatures?  New species are being discovered on almost a weekly basis.  In 2012 alone, I've learned about bugs that lives 6,500 feet underground, a previously undiscovered frog in NYC, and over 850 new species living underground in Australia. Just last night I watched a science show studying the bones of an extinct snake that, when alive, measured 48 feet in length.  48 feet!

The truth is so much better than fiction.

#9    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,973 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostJohnnyRico, on 05 April 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

I was just being facetious with my subject title.  But just think of the plethora of new scientific fields that would be created to study such phenomena like Bigfoot, Nessie, aliens, God, etc. - if they existed.  Not to mention how enjoyable it would be to watch "real" discovery channel episodes on these subjects (instead of the usual biased hack).  Just think how cool a show on analyzing the flight techniques of holy angels would be or studying the maternal instincts of a Sasquatch.  So, I kind of get where these believers are coming from.  In my case though, this damn RTS is incurable.

But real life is so much more interesting.  These supposed cryptozoologists got it all wrong (and I definitely include Moneymaker & crew).  Why waste their time studying non-existent creatures?  New species are being discovered on almost a weekly basis.  In 2012 alone, I've learned about bugs that lives 6,500 feet underground, a previously undiscovered frog in NYC, and over 850 new species living underground in Australia. Just last night I watched a science show studying the bones of an extinct snake that, when alive, measured 48 feet in length.  48 feet!

The truth is so much better than fiction.

:yes:   :tu:  :tsu: :clap:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#10    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Keep in mind that "wanting" to believe sort of carries an often unwanted side effect, it can cloud your judgement. Sort of like being in love with the wrong person, deep down you know it isn't what you want but..........you just can't quite help yourself.

If Bigfoots or any other creatures were to suddenly be proven to be real, the fact is it's just another creature. There's nothing magical or mystical about them.....unless you subscribe to the theory they're alien slave workers here to mine minerals from deep within the Earth or some such rubbish as that.

I'm open to the possibility of them being real and have to catch myself at times and prevent myself from going off on a tangent, so I have this issue as well.

#11    Ghostdancer

Ghostdancer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Looks like Bigfoot took a vacation to meet his fellow legends,lol!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users