Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Billionaires should be allowed to buy planets

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 07 April 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

Oh that's not so bad. I'll take 3.

Great, just make out the check to Dewey Cheatem, post it and you'll have your ownershipplaquein three to four business weeks.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#32    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Short answer - yes.

#33    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

I didn't read all the comments.

My thought is, obviously nobody owns anything up there. So if we can't buy it from anyone, then how would we go about it?

I think it's obvious, first come, first serve. If you can get to it,go there and stake out your land. Then we go from there. Kinda like how the US was made (but hopefully we go about it much more civilized-like!).  ^_^

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#34    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Anyway we will probably find that E.T. already owns it and will have to barter with him.

#35    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostMentalcase, on 07 April 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

I didn't read all the comments.

Oh but you really should... :lol:

#36    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 07 April 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Oh but you really should... :lol:
Yea I read them after the fact. Owning a whole planet is ridiculous though! I can't imagine the need for it, especially if humans can't even thrive there.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#37    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Since I'm in the market for a new planet I have a few questions; Does my planet come with it's own moon or do I have to have one brought in? I would prefer a planet with a rotational period of 26 earth hours, as I find I'm not getting quite enough sleep lately (worrying about having to purchase that moon). I would like it to have a 25/73/2% O2/N/CO2 ratio since that will make both breathing and gardening easier, trace gases (except Radon) are okay. Gravity should be 85% of earth normal, since I've put on a little weight over the years and find it more difficult to get around. Year round temperature should be about 78 degrees F. by day and 68 by night (for comfort during those extra two hours of sleep I'll be getting). All animal life should be edible and preferably tasty. Nothing should have fangs, claws, venom or be poisonous if eaten (they should also not be very bright, see the above "difficult to get around" reference). All water sources for drinking should be natural artesian springs at 35 degrees, for bathing mineral hot springs with a maximum of 102 degrees is fine, naturally effervescent water would be even better. As for the star the planet will be orbiting, I'm not really too fussy, a red dwarf would even be okay as I have always like sunsets on earth. As for the planets habitability, seismic activity should be at a minimum, if at all, weather should alternate between periods of fair skies with occasional light rain. Heat lighting is okay (helps maintain the ozone layer) but strictly no cloud to ground (or vice versa) lighting is acceptable. I would prefer living in a solar system with no Oort cloud orbiting its star or any asteroid belt, I'm not fond of unannounced visitors. Also any NEOs will negate the sale following inspection, (though the "E" will have to be replaced with whatever I name the planet). You know what they say about real estate: "Location, location, location!," so I was thinking (if the price is not too exorbitant) that a solar system nearer the galactic center would be nice! Not only would you have more to see in the sky at night, but with a good pair of binoculars you could watch the central black hole sucking in stars and some of the cheaper, less desirable planets.

P.S. If the moon option is not available, you can substitute a planetary ring system as I think they are neat!

Edited by Sundew, 07 April 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#38    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,770 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostSundew, on 07 April 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

Since I'm in the market for a new planet I have a few questions; Does my planet come with it's own moon or do I have to have one brought in? I would prefer a planet with a rotational period of 26 earth hours, as I find I'm not getting quite enough sleep lately (worrying about having to purchase that moon). I would like it to have a 25/73/2% O2/N/CO2 ratio since that will make both breathing and gardening easier, trace gases (except Radon) are okay. Gravity should be 85% of earth normal, since I've put on a little weight over the years and find it more difficult to get around. Year round temperature should be about 78 degrees F. by day and 68 by night (for comfort during those extra two hours of sleep I'll be getting). All animal life should be edible and preferably tasty. Nothing should have fangs, claws, venom or be poisonous if eaten (they should also not be very bright, see the above "difficult to get around" reference). All water sources for drinking should be natural artesian springs at 35 degrees, for bathing mineral hot springs with a maximum of 102 degrees is fine, naturally effervescent water would be even better. As for the star the planet will be orbiting, I'm not really too fussy, a red dwarf would even be okay as I have always like sunsets on earth. As for the planets habitability, seismic activity should be at a minimum, if at all, weather should alternate between periods of fair skies with occasional light rain. Heat lighting is okay (helps maintain the ozone layer) but strictly no cloud to ground (or vice versa) lighting is acceptable. I would prefer living in a solar system with no Oort cloud orbiting its star or any asteroid belt, I'm not fond of unannounced visitors. Also any NEOs will negate the sale following inspection, (though the "E" will have to be replaced with whatever I name the planet). You know what they say about real estate: "Location, location, location!," so I was thinking (if the price is not too exorbitant) that a solar system nearer the galactic center would be nice! Not only would you have more to see in the sky at night, but with a good pair of binoculars you could watch the central black hole sucking in stars and some of the cheaper, less desirable planets.

P.S. If the moon option is not available, you can substitute a planetary ring system as I think they are neat!

JUst call "SlartyBartfast" ANd He will customize you a Planet of your wildest dreams ! complete with all the Fiddley bits ! just DONT PANIC !
justDONTEATUS :rolleyes:

This is a Work in Progress!

#39    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,577 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Do you buy it when its full or when there's just a thin slice showing ?  1/2 lb of your best Moondust pleez,

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#40    Marks_Thoughts

Marks_Thoughts

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

So, the US was first to the moon. It's possible we can be the first to another celestial body. I say we keep it for ourselves and only allow Americans with valid leases from our government to go there and stay, wherever we happen to land. The reason is that it would set out a single, rational and tested form of government for the whole she-bang. It saves a lot of time and effort for the new inhabitants that can't get along with the neighbors. Think about it. It makes sense.
Heck if there really are as many potentially habitable places just in our galaxy: 1. why fight over any particular one 2. why bring our disagreements to any of them. Get there first, nobody home already, keep it.
Astronomer types are suggesting 140 billion planets in the correct range from their sun, not to mention the many billions of other planets and moons just waiting to be mined and more.
I say find and keep what you are able to reach. Heck, it kind of makes me think of my grandsons. They could in theory each have their own continent on some far off planet. Cool.

#41    Sormac

Sormac

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

I've always wanted a piece of Uranus.  ^_^

#42    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,892 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostSormac, on 08 April 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

I've always wanted a piece of Uranus.  ^_^
I can't believe it took 41 posts before someone said that :w00t:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#43    Inhuman Implant

Inhuman Implant

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I agree Simbi Laveau lol. and a planet would cost more than a trillion anyways

#44    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,770 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

They will just re-po any planet we try to buy and Sell on the  Intergalatic market ! Ive sent -em- wit my own three eyes . They move in from deep space really quick jack up the rockiest corner of your planet,slip the hoist under And THere GONE ! Off to the Universial Pound ! and man its a boat load to Hock it outta there ! :innocent:

This is a Work in Progress!

#45    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Ideally - nobody should be able to own a planet in my opinion.  In reality though?  For the right price, EVERYTHING is for sale.  Maybe if we sell enough planets to billionaires we can trick them all into visiting their new property.  Space travel is a dangerous business, some of them at least are likely to die.  Our currently planet would benefit from having a few less billionaires around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users