Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Did Shroud of Turin Spread Christianity?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,696 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

www.livescience.com said:

A hoax or a miracle? The Shroud of Turin has inspired this question for centuries. Now, an art historian says this piece of cloth, said to bear the imprint of the crucified body of Jesus Christ, may be something in between.

According to Thomas de Wesselow, formerly of Cambridge University, the controversial shroud is no medieval forgery, as a 1989 attempt at radiocarbon dating suggests.Nor is the strange outline of the body on the fabric a miracle, de Wesselow writes in his new book, "The Sign: The Shroud of Turin and the Secret of the Resurrection" (Dutton Adult, 2012). Instead, de Wesselow suggests, the shroud was created by natural chemical processes ó and then interpreted by Jesus' followers as a sign of his resurrection.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

This particular shroud emerged in the House of Savoie in 1357 BCE, in Chambery to be specific.  Already at the time it remained hidden most of the time.  It was allegedly purchased from the Lery Family.  Geoffrey de Lery brought it from Byzantium at the beggining of the 13th century.  In those days there were already30 or 40 different shrouds hanging around.  So what would this one do more than the others to spread a belief for which millions had already died for?
Furthermore if JC had been 5'11" to 6' tall in would have been known. Most humans in those days were between 5' and 5'6"

Edited by Paracelse, 07 April 2012 - 03:24 PM.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#3    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

This is all I have to say.     Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and look at my hands. Put your hand in my side. Don't doubt it any more. Believe!" All Thomas could say was, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen? Blessed are those who have not seen but have come to believe."

Robbie James

#4    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostRobbie333, on 07 April 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

This is all I have to say.     Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and look at my hands. Put your hand in my side. Don't doubt it any more. Believe!" All Thomas could say was, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen? Blessed are those who have not seen but have come to believe."
Could you explain how this has anything to do with the shroud?  It's just a written work done at least 50 years after JC's death!

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#5    Amon-Ra

Amon-Ra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

• Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

Paracelse: do you know what "1357 BCE" means?  It is 1,357 years before the birth of Christ.  The system BCE/CE is a substitute for BC/AD used by anti-Christian writers.  Perhaps you should edit it to be 1357 AD, if that is what you meant.  Your disparagement of the Bible shows your bigotry, you might want to hide it. The shroud has been established to have been woven by Jews about 2,000 years ago in the near East.  Highly suggestive.

#6    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

Total hoax.  <_<

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#7    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 08 April 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

Total hoax.  <_<
Have you seen History Channelís The Real Face of Jesus?

http://shroudofturin.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#8    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostAmon-Ra, on 08 April 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

Paracelse: do you know what "1357 BCE" means?  It is 1,357 years before the birth of Christ.  The system BCE/CE is a substitute for BC/AD used by anti-Christian writers.  Perhaps you should edit it to be 1357 AD, if that is what you meant.  Your disparagement of the Bible shows your bigotry, you might want to hide it. The shroud has been established to have been woven by Jews about 2,000 years ago in the near East.  Highly suggestive.
Oups  I was making cookies at the same time and didn't pay attention to was I was typing. And I've using CE/BCE since heck so long I don't remeber.  The linen used for the shroud depending of the author of the research varies, a certain Frei determined it was made by Israel because of the "pollen" content.  I maintain it was a forgery to bring revenues to the House of Savoie who lived in Chambery at the time.  

Oh and PS:  Last time I checked in order to be a bigot you have to believe into something  and I don't so who's the bigot now?

Edited by Paracelse, 08 April 2012 - 05:59 AM.

République No.6

#9    wingyflam

wingyflam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

just a piece of old cloth

#10    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,778 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Regardless of what one believes, the Shroud of Turin has never been completely explained by any hypothesis. The latest research appears to have been as inconclusive as past research see link here.

So, those who believe will see it as a miracle, those who do not will see it as a clever forgery. Some will choose to see it as a true unexplained mystery.

Edited by Lilly, 08 April 2012 - 10:29 AM.
spelling

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#11    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,207 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostLilly, on 08 April 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

...as a clever forgery. Some will choose to see it as a true unexplained mystery.
Some forgery. Earth didn't have the technology to do it, as far as we know.

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#12    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,207 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

The wonderful thing is that the more our current technology advances the more the Shroud becomes truly amazing. Happy Easter.  :)

#13    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,778 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Lilly, on 08 April 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

...as a clever forgery. Some will choose to see it as a true unexplained mystery.

View Postbraveone2u, on 08 April 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Some forgery. Earth didn't have the technology to do it, as far as we know.

Please do not take my post comment out of context.

What I actually said was:

So, those who believe will see it as a miracle, those who do not will see it as a clever forgery.

People do indeed square off with some seeing the shroud as a miracle, others seeing it as a clever forgery. Others simply concede that it remains an unexplained mystery.

Neither the 'forgery' camp, nor the 'miracle' camp have conclusive evidence for their claims. IMO, the Shroud of Turin is one of the world's greatest mysteries.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#14    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

Lily the shroud remains the greatest mystery because no one is allow to study it.  Keeping it as a mystery is a great political move.

République No.6

#15    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,207 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostLilly, on 08 April 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Lilly, on 08 April 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Please do not take my post comment out of context.

Actually, I didn't. My post's for people who think the Shroud's a clever forgery. Again, some forgery. Atlantians, perhaps? I think, not. UFO??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users