Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scott Walker Quietly Repeals Wisconsin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,097 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

WASHINGTON -- A Wisconsin law that made it easier for victims of wage discrimination to have their day in court was repealed on Thursday, after Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker ® quietly signed the bill.

Women earn 77 cents for every dollar that men make. In Wisconsin, it's 75 cents, according to the Wisconsin Alliance for Women’s Health (WAWH), which also estimates that families in the state "lose more than $4,000 per year due to unequal pay."

cont...

http://www.huffingto...nk1&pLid=149824

Edited by Michelle, 06 April 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,413 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

It will be interesting to see how he fares in the recall.  If he gets to stay it might say a lot about the mood of the country as well as Wisconsin, I think.  And the opposite is true also.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

Its not quiet anymore .

Miss me?

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,413 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 06 April 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Its not quiet anymore .
Was it ever?  Those badgers damn near tore down their own State house :w00t:    With all the union money that flooded the State during those earlier recall votes, I'm surprised it turned out as it did.  I don't really have an all negative opinion of unions but it's insane to place a union in a position where it can elect officials who then have to vote more money or not be reelected.  If unions are speaking for workers that produce a product, fine.  If the workers stop making money for a company then the union can't very well demand more but in a government there is no such restriction...it gets out of hand quickly.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

Anyone have a link that's not HuffPo?  I'm curious to hear the business leaders perspective on this.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#6    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,907 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

SB202 repeals the provision for punitive and/or compensatory damages an employee may claim against an employer in cases of discrimination in that employment. So, it's not quite the "repealing women's equality" that it is being talked up to be.

HOWEVER, by eliminating the incentive for employers to use non-discriminatory employment practices, the WI legislature opens the door for those practices to resume without any punishment, and so the effect could be a return to non-equality (or greater non-equality). Because it holds the possibility of causing (or enabling) discrimination, it is effectively a discriminatory Bill.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#7    Parsip

Parsip

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

If a business could pay women less than men for doing the exact same job, they wouldn't hire any men. I'm sure the earnings gap is due to such things as men working more hours or having more dangerous jobs than women. It's ridiculous to claim the employers of the country are all part of a conspiracy to keep women unemployed, barefoot and in the kitchen. :hmm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users