Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nearby star may have nine extrasolar planets

Saru

At 127 light years distant the HD 10180 system shares many similarities with our own Solar System.

In 2010, a star 127 light-years away stunned the world -- it had become the largest star system beyond our own, playing host to five, possibly seven, alien worlds. Now, the star (called HD 10180) is back in the headlines; it may actually have nine exoplanets orbiting it.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• pallidin

• Abramelin

• Taun

Top Posters In This Topic

"The 1.4 Earth-mass exoplanet has an orbital period of only 1.2 days. The two new super-Earths also have very tight orbits, where their "years" last only 10 and 68 days. Therefore, any question of life (as we know it) existing on these worlds is moot -- they will likely be hellishly hot, with no chance of liquid water existing on their surfaces. It's debatable whether these worlds could hold onto any kind of atmosphere as they would be constantly sandblasted by intense stellar winds."

I can't even imagine a 1.2 day long orbital period.... The planet must be right on the edge of the stellar corona...

It just amazes me that they can find these systems. I'm old enough to recall that speculation of other solar systems was like heresy. Of course back then current technology did not exist.

I hope they find humanoid life on all of them. That would really put a spanner into the works of religious nuts world wide...

• 1 month later...

Oh no :unsure2: now we dont just have one planet to fight about whos God is better,... Imagine if the universe is filled with crazy humans.

In reverse its only a matter of time before some astronomer far away finds US, what then ? we are the third "exo-planet" which may contain water and life...and they are looking for a planet as a possible site to go to before their world goes duff...