Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Human egg cells grown in lab 'could be

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Human egg cells grown in a laboratory could be fertilised as part of tests to revolutionise fertility treatment, in a development that might one day help infertile or older women to have a baby, it has been claimed.

Scientists are intending to seek permission to fertilise the eggs, which have been grown from stem cells, to test whether they are viable, it was reported last night.

The tests are understood to be aimed at eventually generating an unlimited supply of human eggs that could assist women to have babies later in life.

The Independent newspaper said some scientists even claimed there was a possibility of producing an “elixir of youth”, to eradicate the menopause and allow older women to retain their youthful health.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

..........................nothing good can come of this.Its all very doctor Frankenstein.

Miss me?

#3    Littlehawk

Littlehawk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

• "The Great Lie is that THIS is civilization. Or if it IS civilization, the Great Lie is that it is good for us". - John Trudell

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Agreed....  Like we need pod people in addition to the already overpopulated Earth,

#4    Chronii

Chronii

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• Addicted to tea.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Very frightening.

#5    Parsip

Parsip

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

I don't see what's freaky about it. It seems to be a natural way of creating eggs to help women have children of their own. These aren't artificial, inhuman eggs.

#6    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

They thought IVF was un natural at first, look how many thats helpled now. This will only help more.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#7    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Yeah. I, too, am confused as to how this is freaky. If anything, this opens the door for further progress in medical research.

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Look at the opposition to stem cell research though.If these eggs are grown from stem cells,its more of the same.
I believe in stem cell research actually,but to make an ova.Put together strands of DNA ,not put together naturally by the body....
That can lead to a lot of weird stuff.It's unnatural in every way.
I vote nay,but what do I know.

Miss me?

#9    Alternative Delirium

Alternative Delirium

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm thinking that this is a bad idea. Not because of any religious implications, and not because I'm afraid of what science can accomplish. I think stem cell research is demonized and underfunded because of those kind of xenophobes. However, this is just taking the human component entirely out if the equation. Yes, a gay couple could potentially use this research to have a child without a donor. And infertile couples could now have a child. Hooray for them, but to what point? There will always be adoption. There are so many kids that need homes already; why are we so focused on creating more? Not to mention (and this may be a touchy subject) that older couples don't need to be having babies any way. The woman would still have to carry the baby to term, isn't that still detrimental to her health? Next they will be fabricating sperm cells to match, and then we have a new breed of lab-babies intent on wiping us out... okay, that's reaching, but you get my point.

#10    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 April 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

Look at the opposition to stem cell research though.If these eggs are grown from stem cells,its more of the same.
I believe in stem cell research actually,but to make an ova.Put together strands of DNA ,not put together naturally by the body....
That can lead to a lot of weird stuff.It's unnatural in every way.
I vote nay,but what do I know.

I agree.  Just because they CAN doesn't mean they SHOULD.  They just keep messing with things they shoudln't be.  Too friggin' scary to me.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#11    Parsip

Parsip

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Did you read the article? From what I understand, this is a harmless scientific advancement. All it does is allow women to have children of their own beyond child-bearing age or despite infertility. It does not allow same-sex couples to magically have children. And they are adult, not embryonic, stem cells. Nobody opposes adult stem cell research.

http://www.independe...on-7624708.html

Seriously, read it all. This is important stuff.

#12    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostAlternative Delirium, on 09 April 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

And infertile couples could now have a child. Hooray for them, but to what point? There will always be adoption.

Adoption is a wonderful idea..but.. (isnt there always a but) the red tape you have to go through.. look at how many people end up going overseas to adopt because it is easier to do it over there.. then to do it in our home countries.. (US and Australia).. I know a number of couples who would love to adopt but are unable to due various factors.. so they end up being foster parents instead..

#13    seller2006

seller2006

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

• Student of the Quran

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

ahh i can see this going freakishly wrong, especially in a society run by those psychopaths, all they care about is profit. Eugenics is bull****.

#14    puridalan

puridalan

Mystical as a Unicorn...

• 3,844 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

I am one of the first generation of IVF treatment 'test tube' babies. I was born via by 'unorthodox' unnatural treatments you think I of all beings would be for such things as IVF/other inoc. treatments, but I am not. I am fully against IVF treatments. I feel that there are enough children on this planet who need to be adopted, pure and simple. I fully believe it is selfish to want your own child if you cannot have one naturally, yes I said it so don't be offended. I do feel that my mother was selfish in wanting to have her own child this way, she did eventually adopt not knowing she would get pregnant with triplets 3 mo later. I was the sole survivor. I am against IVF treatments because not all of the babies turn out healthy, and when messing with the egg cell time ie freezing of the mitochondria there can be many long term effects that can simply not be measured. Ie genetic mutations/defects, which I have including long term chronic illness, which they are finally studying and seeing that a good portion of IVF babies have.

Do I have the right to say if others should or should not do it, no. Was I a product of IVF and not be here today without it, yes. Do I advocate for it, no. I love my parents to death, especially my mother; and she isn't a very selifsh being in general, very giving however..sometimes our wants/desires can override what we actually need here on this planet. At the end of the day I am not here to stop anyone, however, to seriously critically think a life altering decision you are going to make. I know that women who have gone through miscarriages often try mutiple IVFs or go to IVF in the hopes, and having a misscarriage I do not believe in even having another child will make you forget having it. Miscarriages for some women can stay psychologically with them their whole lives, even if they have 3 healthy children. Most important thing to do, is decide what is right for you, what you really need vs want, realistic w/healthy imagination, and is this the right thing for the child..will the child be happy or suffer. Obviously I am not an all mighty being and even I cannot predict what will happen to someone x years down the road, all I know is sometimes it isn't better to tamper with nature. But go back to nature itself.

Adoption is readily avaliable to many beings, people believe that adoptions cost a ton ect, that if you adopt from a private agency/overseas ect. If you adopt from places like family services adoption unit, the adoption itself is actually free because the child/infant is a ward in the state. I advise people do a lot of research on it. At the end of the day IVF is a treatment/tool like any other program and should be used with caution and implemented based on ones own judgement/realistic/ethically responsible decisions which is no easy feat.

#15    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 09 April 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

I agree.  Just because they CAN doesn't mean they SHOULD.  They just keep messing with things they shoudln't be.  Too friggin' scary to me.
Just because you CAPITALIZE doesn't mean its any more VALID.  LOL but I know you were just trying to stress your point. My question is not only to you but to everyone else who seems against this. Why do you allow irrational fears to make decisions for you? There is a perception of threat from not fully understanding the subject matter. There is no real threat. It may not be an avenue to which you would proceed sure and that is your choice but there is no threat to any of you. Could you help me understand  and ill reiterate why allow irrational fears to control the way you think?

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users