Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human egg cells grown in lab 'could be

Still Waters

Human egg cells grown in a laboratory could be fertilised as part of tests to revolutionise fertility treatment, in a development that might one day help infertile or older women to have a baby, it has been claimed.

Scientists are intending to seek permission to fertilise the eggs, which have been grown from stem cells, to test whether they are viable, it was reported last night.

The tests are understood to be aimed at eventually generating an unlimited supply of human eggs that could assist women to have babies later in life.

The Independent newspaper said some scientists even claimed there was a possibility of producing an “elixir of youth”, to eradicate the menopause and allow older women to retain their youthful health.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

• glorybebe

• Parsip

• Anne-Marie

..........................nothing good can come of this.Its all very doctor Frankenstein.

Agreed.... Like we need pod people in addition to the already overpopulated Earth,

I don't see what's freaky about it. It seems to be a natural way of creating eggs to help women have children of their own. These aren't artificial, inhuman eggs.

They thought IVF was un natural at first, look how many thats helpled now. This will only help more.

Yeah. I, too, am confused as to how this is freaky. If anything, this opens the door for further progress in medical research.

Look at the opposition to stem cell research though.If these eggs are grown from stem cells,its more of the same.

I believe in stem cell research actually,but to make an ova.Put together strands of DNA ,not put together naturally by the body....

That can lead to a lot of weird stuff.It's unnatural in every way.

I vote nay,but what do I know.

I'm thinking that this is a bad idea. Not because of any religious implications, and not because I'm afraid of what science can accomplish. I think stem cell research is demonized and underfunded because of those kind of xenophobes. However, this is just taking the human component entirely out if the equation. Yes, a gay couple could potentially use this research to have a child without a donor. And infertile couples could now have a child. Hooray for them, but to what point? There will always be adoption. There are so many kids that need homes already; why are we so focused on creating more? Not to mention (and this may be a touchy subject) that older couples don't need to be having babies any way. The woman would still have to carry the baby to term, isn't that still detrimental to her health? Next they will be fabricating sperm cells to match, and then we have a new breed of lab-babies intent on wiping us out... okay, that's reaching, but you get my point.

Look at the opposition to stem cell research though.If these eggs are grown from stem cells,its more of the same.

I believe in stem cell research actually,but to make an ova.Put together strands of DNA ,not put together naturally by the body....

That can lead to a lot of weird stuff.It's unnatural in every way.

I vote nay,but what do I know.

I agree. Just because they CAN doesn't mean they SHOULD. They just keep messing with things they shoudln't be. Too friggin' scary to me.

Did you read the article? From what I understand, this is a harmless scientific advancement. All it does is allow women to have children of their own beyond child-bearing age or despite infertility. It does not allow same-sex couples to magically have children. And they are adult, not embryonic, stem cells. Nobody opposes adult stem cell research.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/scientists-rewrite-rules-of-human-reproduction-7624708.html

Seriously, read it all. This is important stuff.

And infertile couples could now have a child. Hooray for them, but to what point? There will always be adoption.

Adoption is a wonderful idea..but.. (isnt there always a but) the red tape you have to go through.. look at how many people end up going overseas to adopt because it is easier to do it over there.. then to do it in our home countries.. (US and Australia).. I know a number of couples who would love to adopt but are unable to due various factors.. so they end up being foster parents instead..

ahh i can see this going freakishly wrong, especially in a society run by those psychopaths, all they care about is profit. Eugenics is bull****.

I am one of the first generation of IVF treatment 'test tube' babies. I was born via by 'unorthodox' unnatural treatments you think I of all beings would be for such things as IVF/other inoc. treatments, but I am not. I am fully against IVF treatments. I feel that there are enough children on this planet who need to be adopted, pure and simple. I fully believe it is selfish to want your own child if you cannot have one naturally, yes I said it so don't be offended. I do feel that my mother was selfish in wanting to have her own child this way, she did eventually adopt not knowing she would get pregnant with triplets 3 mo later. I was the sole survivor. I am against IVF treatments because not all of the babies turn out healthy, and when messing with the egg cell time ie freezing of the mitochondria there can be many long term effects that can simply not be measured. Ie genetic mutations/defects, which I have including long term chronic illness, which they are finally studying and seeing that a good portion of IVF babies have.

Do I have the right to say if others should or should not do it, no. Was I a product of IVF and not be here today without it, yes. Do I advocate for it, no. I love my parents to death, especially my mother; and she isn't a very selifsh being in general, very giving however..sometimes our wants/desires can override what we actually need here on this planet. At the end of the day I am not here to stop anyone, however, to seriously critically think a life altering decision you are going to make. I know that women who have gone through miscarriages often try mutiple IVFs or go to IVF in the hopes, and having a misscarriage I do not believe in even having another child will make you forget having it. Miscarriages for some women can stay psychologically with them their whole lives, even if they have 3 healthy children. Most important thing to do, is decide what is right for you, what you really need vs want, realistic w/healthy imagination, and is this the right thing for the child..will the child be happy or suffer. Obviously I am not an all mighty being and even I cannot predict what will happen to someone x years down the road, all I know is sometimes it isn't better to tamper with nature. But go back to nature itself.

Adoption is readily avaliable to many beings, people believe that adoptions cost a ton ect, that if you adopt from a private agency/overseas ect. If you adopt from places like family services adoption unit, the adoption itself is actually free because the child/infant is a ward in the state. I advise people do a lot of research on it. At the end of the day IVF is a treatment/tool like any other program and should be used with caution and implemented based on ones own judgement/realistic/ethically responsible decisions which is no easy feat.

I agree. Just because they CAN doesn't mean they SHOULD. They just keep messing with things they shoudln't be. Too friggin' scary to me.

Just because you CAPITALIZE doesn't mean its any more VALID. LOL but I know you were just trying to stress your point. My question is not only to you but to everyone else who seems against this. Why do you allow irrational fears to make decisions for you? There is a perception of threat from not fully understanding the subject matter. There is no real threat. It may not be an avenue to which you would proceed sure and that is your choice but there is no threat to any of you. Could you help me understand and ill reiterate why allow irrational fears to control the way you think?

Just because you CAPITALIZE doesn't mean its any more VALID. LOL but I know you were just trying to stress your point. My question is not only to you but to everyone else who seems against this. Why do you allow irrational fears to make decisions for you? There is a perception of threat from not fully understanding the subject matter. There is no real threat. It may not be an avenue to which you would proceed sure and that is your choice but there is no threat to any of you. Could you help me understand and ill reiterate why allow irrational fears to control the way you think?

That is your opinion. I don't see my opinion as being irrational. there are a lot of children right who need homes. There are such potential problems not only genetically to go wrong, but also for the scientists to really mess around. They are playing God, and that is scary to me. (there I bolded it, is that acceptable to you?:lol: )

That is your opinion. I don't see my opinion as being irrational. there are a lot of children right who need homes. There are such potential problems not only genetically to go wrong, but also for the scientists to really mess around. They are playing God, and that is scary to me. (there I bolded it, is that acceptable to you?:lol: )

The playing God meme is an emotional reaction which derives from fear of the unknown that's one good example of what I am saying.

I should explain I see a lot of emotional instant gratification style decisions without consideration of true cause and effect.

If its beneficial health wise then yeah, along as weirdos don't try and rule the world with a mutant race then I'm fine with it. IVF is a gift and I'm all for it, but If couldn't have my own children I would opt to foster or adopt. Knowing that their are children without homes parents and a chance at a decent life is heart breaking. Creation is wonderful but to nurture a life that has already been made is more important.

Hmmm... Gotta say I'm in two minds about this. The adoption option is a very good argument seeing as how many children there are needing homes. Adoption is not an easy process though. Fostering children is much easier to get accepted for but more often than not you're fostering teens and even then they're always moving out then others move in so it's not quite the same. IVF is good but it too has its problems. Who wants to give birth to quintuplets? Never mind the medical problems these children are more prone to. So perhaps in this regard stem cell created ova would help many couples.

But how much do scientist know about the safety of this method? Is it genetically safe? Reason tells me it should be since it is made from human tissue but I'm no scientist so I'd have to do some research to get my answer.

And then there's the morality of it. Surely I don't have to air my concerns with that.

I think it's going to take me a long time to work out whether I'm all for this or against it. Stem cell research sure has helped a lot of people out, and so far I believe it to be a good thing. Laboratory created ova seems to be stepping it up a notch though. For me anyway.

Hmmm... Gotta say I'm in two minds about this. The adoption option is a very good argument seeing as how many children there are needing homes. Adoption is not an easy process though. Fostering children is much easier to get accepted for but more often than not you're fostering teens and even then they're always moving out then others move in so it's not quite the same. IVF is good but it too has its problems. Who wants to give birth to quintuplets? Never mind the medical problems these children are more prone to. So perhaps in this regard stem cell created ova would help many couples.

But how much do scientist know about the safety of this method? Is it genetically safe? Reason tells me it should be since it is made from human tissue but I'm no scientist so I'd have to do some research to get my answer.

And then there's the morality of it. Surely I don't have to air my concerns with that.

I think it's going to take me a long time to work out whether I'm all for this or against it. Stem cell research sure has helped a lot of people out, and so far I believe it to be a good thing. Laboratory created ova seems to be stepping it up a notch though. For me anyway.

I enjoyed your post. Well said

I enjoyed your post. Well said

Thank you :)