Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Question for Believers

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Here is a question for the believers in the audience - which paranormal phenomenon DON'T you find credible?  Why?

#2    A Shadow

A Shadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

I believe there are intelligent forces out there. But to label them ghost,alien,etc.. I will not do.  A paranormal phenomenon being credible would depend on the mind perceiving it. Being that is beyond scientific explanation, all you will have is personal experience in the paranormal field, and never any proof in which most need to believe. Some people don't experience anything paranormal in their life.

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,898 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

I don't believe the labels that are applied to unexplained paranormal phenomena aka: ghost or poltergeist, Jinn, Angel, Demon.  People see something or hear something that makes no sense and then tell others it is one of those things in the retelling as though it is fact.  But the fact is they do not know what they saw, a "ghostly image" sure but that is not the same as a bonafide "ghost".  The image could be the result of any number of natural phenomena or if unexplained not necessarily due to the ghost of a departed human or beast at any rate.  

It limits the bounds of research when people jump to conclusions I think.  

What I know is that there are unexplained phenomena, I have had some experience with that.  I have no name for what I saw or it's origins and am simply curious about what about life and nature we do not seem to comprehend with our five senses clearly and why - reality is not what what our mind has been trained to rationalise it as in all instances IMO.

Edited by libstaK, 09 April 2012 - 02:52 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 08 April 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

Here is a question for the believers in the audience - which paranormal phenomenon DON'T you find credible?  Why?

Homeopathy. Because I don't believe there is sufficient scientific evidence to suggest that it has any basis in reality.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#5    nyuk

nyuk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

I dont really feel i know  even a fraction of the purported paranormal experiences i read about to list things i do or dont believe.

Ive never seen anything i think i could class as paranormal.
So i just read peoples experiences and would rather make no comment if im not sure what happened.
Rather than try to poke holes in their experience.
After all, they know for sure if it really happened.

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostArbitran, on 09 April 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Homeopathy. Because I don't believe there is sufficient scientific evidence to suggest that it has any basis in reality.
Homeopathy isn't paranormal,its an alternative form of medicine.

Miss me?

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

I don't believe in things like werewolves ,vampires,bigfoot,fairies,leprachauns.
Things like that.
I think they have a historical background in some ancient cultures,that mutated as the stories about them were told and retold ,thru the centuries.
There was something way back when,that happened,and the stories were subjected to gossip and Hollywood,to become what they are,iconically,today.
I think there are aliens.It's arrogant to think we are THE only intelligent (which is sometimes debatable) lifeform ,amongst the billions of stars and solar systems.

Abductions with probing and being followed by them your whole life.
Dunno about all of that.
They are obviously far more advanced that we are,if they can come here so easily. I don't see wwhhhyyy they would need to anally prob dozens of humans to figure out how we work.
I mean its possible.And the alleged implants are really markers,same way we mark animals to follow them after setting them free again,but its all bit too out there for me.
Ghosts ,spirits,demons,all different grades of the same thing for me,which is part of my spiritual belief.
Nessie,weird stuff in the water,some odd cryptids of unknown etiology,probable.

Miss me?

#8    violetlight

violetlight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Agree with above post; I don't really believe in vampires, bigfoot, fairies, leprachauns, etc either. I'm also iffy about alien abductions.

I definitely do believe in ghosts, demoms, spirts, shadow people, etc but I have varying theories about what some of these things really are.

Great question, btw!

Edited by violetlight, 09 April 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#9    the_twilightzone

the_twilightzone

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I believe in "ghosts," but, as I've never had the experience of seeing one myself, I often wonder if they're intelligent spirits or residual energy.  I believe in poltergeists, but I attribute those strictly to the manifestation of living energy.  I also believe in life elsewhere in the universe.  That's about all that I do believe in.

I don't believe in werewolves, vampires, the Loch Ness monster, Big Foot, etc.

I don't believe that hell exists, and, therefore, I'm not convinced that demons exist either.  Perhaps 'demons' are merely "bad" energy.

#10    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,544 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

View Postnyuk, on 09 April 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

I dont really feel i know  even a fraction of the purported paranormal experiences i read about to list things i do or dont believe.

Ive never seen anything i think i could class as paranormal.
So i just read peoples experiences and would rather make no comment if im not sure what happened.
Rather than try to poke holes in their experience.
After all, they know for sure if it really happened.

Do they? ;)

If I were to answer this 15 years ago, I would say I believe in ghosts, and aliens visitng earth.

30 years ago, Bigfoot, Crop Circles made from aliens, Lake Monsters, Ghosts, poltergeist, possesion, God.

10 years ago, just ghosts....

Edited by Sakari, 09 April 2012 - 08:19 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#11    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 April 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

Homeopathy isn't paranormal,its an alternative form of medicine.

Point taken. In any case, I'm not convinced.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#12    nyuk

nyuk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Ha ha, good. point Sakari ;)

I do honestly believe that a person might see or think they see something which they cant instantly explain.
Then they repeat what they saw and the person they tell may jump to the conclusion it must be paranormal.
The tale is repeated and embellished until it becomes a ghost/demon or anything else.

So to sum up
Person 1 sees somethin, but not sure
P1 tells P2 and it takes off.
At some point a person honestly thinks it must be paranormal. So in a way it kinda becomes paranormal.

#13    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'm least likely to believe in Bigfoot.  With UFOs and aliens, they have the entire universe from which to disappear to.  Ghosts have " the spirit world " from which to manifest from. But Bigfoot has very limited areas. The forest pretty much. If they did exist, much more evidence should have surfaced by now. ( Like a living or dead one )

#14    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,544 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

View Postnyuk, on 10 April 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Ha ha, good. point Sakari ;)

I do honestly believe that a person might see or think they see something which they cant instantly explain.
Then they repeat what they saw and the person they tell may jump to the conclusion it must be paranormal.
The tale is repeated and embellished until it becomes a ghost/demon or anything else.

So to sum up
Person 1 sees somethin, but not sure
P1 tells P2 and it takes off.
At some point a person honestly thinks it must be paranormal. So in a way it kinda becomes paranormal.

Sorry for this slight turn off of subject......

Nyuk,

3 days ago ( reason I replied to you ) a Supervisor at work was BSing with me and another person about a " Bigfoot " encounter......

When he was 12 years old, he had watched a movie or read something about Bigfoot's and attacks.He was walking home from School after a practice, it was dark. ( Coos Bay, Oregon ).He looked in a tree off the street ( it was dark ) and he saw two eyes looking at him, than saw a arm slowly ( hairy arm ) pull the large tree limb aside to get a better look....He saw a Bigfoot.He was so scared, he ran 200 yards to a house, ran in the front door without knocking, and was out of breath.....The people were in the living room, and freaked out.When all calmed down,m he was afraid to say he saw a bigfoot, so he told them some hippies tried to get him into their Van.....

My point of this, he said just telling the story was making his hair stand up on his arms ( and he is now 44 ).....It was real to him, he says he knows it had to be his over active imagination, but he can still see it......

In other words, he is sure it was his head ****g with him, but he can not get it out of his head that he did not see a real thing......

Does that make sense?

It was real to him, his head, and he can still see it today.......But, he knows it is impossible.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#15    nyuk

nyuk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well, it makes no sense to me, but if he had told the people in the house he saw bigfoot, im betting lots more people would go to look and some would see the same thing.
Then it would have gained momentum and been blown up to the point even more people would say they saw it.

I gotta say, whatever he saw or thought he saw, it certainly messed with his mind/memory.
Plus, deep down he prob honestly believes he saw it, otherwise i dont understand why he would talk about it.

ps.     sorry for going bit off topic, but these last posts kinda say what i tried to say before

pps.      I dont believe in werewolves

Edited by nyuk, 10 April 2012 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users