Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Children's codeine deaths prompt warning


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,700 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

Quote


Two more children's deaths and a near fatality have been linked to standard doses of codeine after tonsil surgery, leading researchers to suggest reconsidering the painkiller's use.

"Codeine is perceived as a safe narcotic by the Canadian and American population that may have to change," said Dr. Gidoen Koren, a molecular toxicologist at the University of Western Ontario's School of Medicine and Dentistry, who co-authored a new study describing the cases.....

.....In 2010, the Canadian Medical Association Journal suggested phasing out the use of codeine, due to the fact that some people metabolize it faster than others, resulting in potentially fatal levels of morphine in their blood.


link

Why would anyone give a little kid codeine?  There is no way that I would give to my daughter.  We are way too dependant on pain killers and other medicines.



Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 12,827 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 10 April 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

link

Why would anyone give a little kid codeine?  There is no way that I would give to my daughter.  We are way too dependant on pain killers and other medicines.
Codeine is a safe and effective pain killer that has been around a long time.  The primary problem with it is the high incidence of allergic reactions.  Usually mild but annoying and sometimes life threatening.  Synthetic codeine called hydrocodone is the preferred replacement.
I wouldn't hesitate to give hydrocodone to a child.  In the correct dose and with proper supervision.

  Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,245 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

Ive never even heard of a child dying from codeine before.
I have a bad response to it myself,so I would never give it to a child.
These sound like a cluster ?
Or unusual idiosyncratic responses.
But why all of a sudden. ?
Unless giving codeine to kids is new.
I mean I don't know enough to comment fully.
In nyc,although I'm not sure abt dentists,but motrin is usually what's given to kids for pain.

Miss me?

#4    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,700 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 April 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

Ive never even heard of a child dying from codeine before.
I have a bad response to it myself,so I would never give it to a child.
These sound like a cluster ?
Or unusual idiosyncratic responses.
But why all of a sudden. ?
Unless giving codeine to kids is new.
I mean I don't know enough to comment fully.
In nyc,although I'm not sure abt dentists,but motrin is usually what's given to kids for pain.


Yeah, I haven't given my daughter codeine.  I have a more natural approach to healing.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,245 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 10 April 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

Yeah, I haven't given my daughter codeine.  I have a more natural approach to healing.
The best way to go. All this drug taking for every little ,is just not healthy.

Miss me?

#6    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,357 posts
  • Joined:21 May 2008

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 April 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

The best way to go. All this drug taking for every little ,is just not healthy.

yes, because tonsillectomies are such a little thing.  They should really just suck it up.


#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,245 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostFurthurBB, on 10 April 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

yes, because tonsillectomies are such a little thing.  They should really just suck it up.
Ummmm,absolutely no one here said anything about denying children pain killers.We just don't think codeine is a great idea for kids.Given the OP is about kids dying from it,might support that.
As for tonsillectomies,people have managed to  survive them since the 1950s,with just eating ice cream,as that was the pain killer of choice thru into the 1970s,I dare say people did just fine with no pain killers for decades.
Painkillers are not recommened for kids because if can delay healing time,in tonsillectomies specifically.
Adults ,I think they get some sort of liquid pain killer.
In the USA,people pop pills repeatedly during the day,for every little thing.There is a reason why prescription drug addiction is now a major issue.
Complications from tylenol abuse alone ,has risen dramatically in the last ten years,because people will take one every 4 hours,extra strength,for some lame reason like they have a little boo boo.
There's a reason I am the only one of my friends not on a thyroid and hypertension medication .
I haven't abused every idiotic thing put on the market ,for insignificant reasons,for 20 years.
And I'm the one with all the injuries from working on an ambulance,and doing martial arts,for over 20 years.
I have injuries that would impress Jackie Chan.
I still don't take pain killers when it hurts.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 10 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Miss me?

#8    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,700 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 April 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Ummmm,absolutely no one here said anything about denying children pain killers.We just don't think codeine is a great idea for kids.Given the OP is about kids dying from it,might support that.
As for tonsillectomies,people have managed to  survive them since the 1950s,with just eating ice cream,as that was the pain killer of choice thru into the 1970s,I dare say people did just fine with no pain killers for decades.
Painkillers are not recommened for kids because if can delay healing time,in tonsillectomies specifically.
Adults ,I think they get some sort of liquid pain killer.
In the USA,people pop pills repeatedly during the day,for every little thing.There is a reason why prescription drug addiction is now a major issue.
Complications from tylenol abuse alone ,has risen dramatically in the last ten years,because people will take one every 4 hours,extra strength,for some lame reason like they have a little boo boo.
There's a reason I am the only one of my friends not on a thyroid and hypertension medication .
I haven't abused every idiotic thing put on the market ,for insignificant reasons,for 20 years.
And I'm the one with all the injuries from working on an ambulance,and doing martial arts,for over 20 years.
I have injuries that would impress Jackie Chan.
I still don't take pain killers when it hurts.

My daughter actually hates taking any form of painkiller, and has to be REALLY sick before she will take medicine.  I have migraines, so I take Tylenol or Advill, but I refuse the prescriptions that treat migraines as they are really heavy duty drugs.  If my daughter had to have her tonsils out, I know that she would not take the pain killers.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,245 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 10 April 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

My daughter actually hates taking any form of painkiller, and has to be REALLY sick before she will take medicine.  I have migraines, so I take Tylenol or Advill, but I refuse the prescriptions that treat migraines as they are really heavy duty drugs.  If my daughter had to have her tonsils out, I know that she would not take the pain killers.
I am like your daughter.
If your migraines are frequent,you should try acupuncture.
You have to start before the headache starts.
Prophylactic acupuncture,can totally irradicate regular migraines(asthma too)

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 10 April 2012 - 07:55 PM.

Miss me?

#10    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,700 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 April 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

I am like your daughter.
If your migraines are frequent,you should try acupuncture.
You have to start before the headache starts.
Prophylactic acupuncture,can totally irradicate regular migraines(asthma too)


If I had the money I would love to try it.  I try peppermint on the temples and try to relax (easier said than done).

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#11    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,357 posts
  • Joined:21 May 2008

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 April 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Ummmm,absolutely no one here said anything about denying children pain killers.We just don't think codeine is a great idea for kids.Given the OP is about kids dying from it,might support that.
As for tonsillectomies,people have managed to  survive them since the 1950s,with just eating ice cream,as that was the pain killer of choice thru into the 1970s,I dare say people did just fine with no pain killers for decades.
Painkillers are not recommened for kids because if can delay healing time,in tonsillectomies specifically.
Adults ,I think they get some sort of liquid pain killer.
In the USA,people pop pills repeatedly during the day,for every little thing.There is a reason why prescription drug addiction is now a major issue.
Complications from tylenol abuse alone ,has risen dramatically in the last ten years,because people will take one every 4 hours,extra strength,for some lame reason like they have a little boo boo.
There's a reason I am the only one of my friends not on a thyroid and hypertension medication .
I haven't abused every idiotic thing put on the market ,for insignificant reasons,for 20 years.
And I'm the one with all the injuries from working on an ambulance,and doing martial arts,for over 20 years.
I have injuries that would impress Jackie Chan.
I still don't take pain killers when it hurts.

Morphine has been used postoperatively for pediatric tonsillectomies since 1932 and codeine was used since the 50s.  It is more painful in children and at no time was ice cream eating for pain, it was for swelling.  Wow!  All that medical knowledge you have is so amazing.

Edited by FurthurBB, 11 April 2012 - 01:54 AM.


#12    Rhincewind

Rhincewind

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Joined:17 Jun 2006

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

codine used to be in my old migrane meds. I hated it because It would constipate me for at least a week and need very powerful laxatives to shift it. Now I take ibuprofine for any pain ( like the cold I have at the moment) The brupfen also (so far) has prevented any migraines on the day I take it

I am  a geneticly engineared lab mouse bent on taking over the world

#13    RamonaLisa

RamonaLisa

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined:03 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Florida

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 April 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Ummmm,absolutely no one here said anything about denying children pain killers.We just don't think codeine is a great idea for kids.Given the OP is about kids dying from it,might support that.
As for tonsillectomies,people have managed to  survive them since the 1950s,with just eating ice cream,as that was the pain killer of choice thru into the 1970s,I dare say people did just fine with no pain killers for decades.
Painkillers are not recommened for kids because if can delay healing time,in tonsillectomies specifically.
Adults ,I think they get some sort of liquid pain killer.
In the USA,people pop pills repeatedly during the day,for every little thing.There is a reason why prescription drug addiction is now a major issue.
Complications from tylenol abuse alone ,has risen dramatically in the last ten years,because people will take one every 4 hours,extra strength,for some lame reason like they have a little boo boo.
There's a reason I am the only one of my friends not on a thyroid and hypertension medication .
I haven't abused every idiotic thing put on the market ,for insignificant reasons,for 20 years.
And I'm the one with all the injuries from working on an ambulance,and doing martial arts,for over 20 years.
I have injuries that would impress Jackie Chan.
I still don't take pain killers when it hurts.

Exactly, that's why I try and take as little medicine as possible, I can power through a headache or allergies, no problem. The dangers associated with mixing prescription drugs with other over the counter drugs, aren't totally understood and people take liberties with their health because of it. A guy I went to high school with died after mixing alcohol with your basic over the counter medicine - just passed away in his sleep. This is serious stuff we're talking about.

Edited by RamonaLisa, 13 April 2012 - 03:02 PM.


#14    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,700 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostRamonaLisa, on 13 April 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Exactly, that's why I try and take as little medicine as possible, I can power through a headache or allergies, no problem. The dangers associated with mixing prescription drugs with other over the counter drugs, aren't totally understood and people take liberties with their health because of it. A guy I went to high school with died after mixing alcohol with your basic over the counter medicine - just passed away in his sleep. This is serious stuff we're talking about.


In biology, my teacher told us to never take Tylenol, Advil or aspirin (or the generic brands) within a 48 hour window of drinking.  She said just once could kill your liver and it's all over.  But, the first thing that most people do is get up and take a pain reliever after drinking.  We are weakening our systems-after taking painkillers for so many years, we build up a tolerance to them and need to take more to get the same relief, then it can be just a matter of time when our body can't process all the drug in it and we kill our liver or our kidneys.  So, why endanger our children if we don't have to?  Yes, it is painful, but, maybe we are getting too wimpy and need to toughen up a little.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#15    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,245 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

View PostFurthurBB, on 11 April 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

Morphine has been used postoperatively for pediatric tonsillectomies since 1932 and codeine was used since the 50s.  It is more painful in children and at no time was ice cream eating for pain, it was for swelling.  Wow!  All that medical knowledge you have is so amazing.
I never said it wasn't used,but they do not LIKE to use it in tonsillectomies because of various complications.My mother herself,who was born in 1924,told me when she had her tonsils out,they gave her ice cream for the pain.
My EXACT STATEMENT ,was: painkiller of choice.
That means its the most popular.
Cold,soft,wet foods,are used to help with the pain,and feed the patient,as eating anything else,HURTS.
duh....

Growing up in the frigging 70s,all my friends that had tonsilectomies ,told me the best part,was endless ice cream,guilt free,no parental permission needed.
Spare me your condesending attitude.

The fact you actually cite 1932,just proves you had to google it.
Lolz

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 14 April 2012 - 03:21 AM.

Miss me?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users