Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

To the citizens of the USA

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,248 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

Like, likity like duh.,... LOL. None of us can talk we all invaded another country, dragged convicts and slaves across the world and ef'd up a perfectly evolved race of people on both continents. If you can't laugh at yourself and your distant allies then you might as well have the plague. Posted Image BTW, I've heard Aussie jokes like this that are far much worse. Posted Image  
Bigger is not always better btw, big pockets with nothing in them! Time to hand over the bombs sister country US the dollar rate says so. Trade ya's for the Aliens???????Posted Image And all of the drift wood!!!!
If one more African American famous person dies from an over dose I'm going to request a survey be made!
Peroxide and plastic is the cause of stupid Perfect is not perscription. Oh yeah,  Child Pagents are wrong, parents might as well hand their babies to children services or a paedifile. Posted Image
Edit, just to clarify I blame the parents not America!

Edited by xCrimsonx, 11 April 2012 - 02:58 AM.

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#17    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 11 April 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

I think someone just had a sense of humour malfunction. (Note the 'u' in humour)
I have a pretty good sense of humor, but in this case it simply doesn't feel funny. I laugh at the insanity of my country on an all too regular basis, but this just feels like bashing of the country, thinly veiled as "humor". In my opinion humor works best when everyone can laugh and not worry that someone is having a go at them.

I am not the only one who feels this way, and several people have had the same response as me; that it is just a way to bash a country and get away with it because it was meant in jest. I will tell self deprecating jokes all the time, or jokes at the expense of my country; ultimately it is my country to joke about. Having someone else tell a joke at my expense just isn't all that funny.

People can tell self deprecating about how fat or ugly they are all day long; the joke is on them and theirs to take, however having that same person start making jokes about how fat or ugly your kids are will likely not be so funny anymore would it? It would be a full stop situation.

Make fun of yourself at your expense all day long, make fun of your own country all day long...however if you start making fun of another persons country(however flawed it may be) it is like making jokes about their kids; it just isn't funny when it comes across as a way to bash my country and get away with it because someone laughed.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#18    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostFluffybunny, on 11 April 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

I have a pretty good sense of humor, but in this case it simply doesn't feel funny. I laugh at the insanity of my country on an all too regular basis, but this just feels like bashing of the country, thinly veiled as "humor". In my opinion humor works best when everyone can laugh and not worry that someone is having a go at them.

I am not the only one who feels this way, and several people have had the same response as me; that it is just a way to bash a country and get away with it because it was meant in jest. I will tell self deprecating jokes all the time, or jokes at the expense of my country; ultimately it is my country to joke about. Having someone else tell a joke at my expense just isn't all that funny.

People can tell self deprecating about how fat or ugly they are all day long; the joke is on them and theirs to take, however having that same person start making jokes about how fat or ugly your kids are will likely not be so funny anymore would it? It would be a full stop situation.

Make fun of yourself at your expense all day long, make fun of your own country all day long...however if you start making fun of another persons country(however flawed it may be) it is like making jokes about their kids; it just isn't funny when it comes across as a way to bash my country and get away with it because someone laughed.

A lot of the original post was self-deprecating. You just missed it. Like anyone in Britain takes tea at 4pm in proper cups anymore. The entire thing plays on the stereotypes we have about each other. Like old mates taking the mickey.

However, your deliberate omission of the 'u' in humour was not funny. I take that as a personal affront. One day you'll learn to talk proper, like what we does.

#19    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I feel this song is fitting in here quite well:

The Streets - Two Nations

#20    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,496 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostArbenol68, on 11 April 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

A lot of the original post was self-deprecating. You just missed it. Like anyone in Britain takes tea at 4pm in proper cups anymore. The entire thing plays on the stereotypes we have about each other. Like old mates taking the mickey.

However, your deliberate omission of the 'u' in humour was not funny. I take that as a personal affront. One day you'll learn to talk proper, like what we does.

Question for you "Brits"...

Do ya'll pronounce Humour "hume-our" or "hume-er/ hume-or"?  Do ya'll pronounce Centre "Sin-tree" or "Sin-ter"?  Just curious...   :devil:

Shoot, come on down an sit fer a spell, we'll jaw fer a piece and I'll have ya'll talkin' proper 'merican in no time!

#21    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostTaun, on 12 April 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Question for you "Brits"...

Do ya'll pronounce Humour "hume-our" or "hume-er/ hume-or"?  Do ya'll pronounce Centre "Sin-tree" or "Sin-ter"?  Just curious...   :devil:

Shoot, come on down an sit fer a spell, we'll jaw fer a piece and I'll have ya'll talkin' proper 'merican in no time!

Dont be silly.  We may know how to spell correctly but that does not mean we all pronounce them correctly lol.
Oh, by the way, we prounce the word 'faucet'   as ..........t...a...p........tap :w00t:

#22    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 1,739 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostTaun, on 12 April 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

My auto-translate couldn't do anything with this.

#23    calaf

calaf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Fortunately no mention was made of the VAT or Marmite ;)

#24    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,496 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 12 April 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

My auto-translate couldn't do anything with this.

Yer aut- translate doohickey was probly writ by a Brit...   :)

#25    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,248 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

The Pom's brought out the sheep with the convicts on the first fleet, the Austrailans pinched them and stuck em in their tucker bags,...then theirs The KiwisAnd their unfortunate creative use of sheep. Posted Image Might as well invite all the allies to the Party! Posted ImagePosted Image

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#26    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 1,739 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

View PostxCrimsonx, on 13 April 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

The Pom's brought out the sheep with the convicts on the first fleet, the Austrailans pinched them and stuck em in their tucker bags,...then theirs The KiwisAnd their unfortunate creative use of sheep. Posted Image Might as well invite all the allies to the Party! Posted ImagePosted Image

That looks like a Kiwi on that there avatar of yours, if my eyes aren't deceiving me.

Mind you, they probably are. It's just as likely to be Dame Edna the way my vision's been lately.

#27    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

David Cameron's really not much improved from our nutters anyway. Just sayin'.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#28    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 14 April 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

David Cameron's really not much improved from our nutters anyway. Just sayin'.

Except for being an educated nutter lol :P

#29    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostEnglishgent, on 14 April 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Except for being an educated nutter lol :P
Bah, all of ours are educated, the trick is they don't want to show it and want to get their constituents not to get an education.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#30    LEGIONS

LEGIONS

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

• We never know how we look ,til we get our picture took

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

I'm thinkn  by Geurge SOMEONE MAY BE ONTO SOMETHING REALLY  COME NOW  LETS PLAY WELL TOGETHER CHILDREN

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users