Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Silly question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    linttrap

linttrap

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

I suspect fear of the dark is not present in children before age 2ish, because it is at that point in development that we notice when our adults aren't around. I have at least one memory of being in a crib in the bedroom of my parents, awake in the dark, but not frightened, because I knew they were in the room.

It was when I moved into my own bedroom that I became aware that in the dark my people were not there. It is the same kind of fear as being separated from your parents in a store.

It is primal and probably hard-wired in the sense that it occurs only when you notice yourself as separate from your significant people.

#17    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Fear is an evolution trait. When we're still animals, fear help us to stay away from the dark, where prowling the predators. So fear, which help us to survive, is good and is passed on the next generation through gene. When we see the dark, our natural instinct is triggered. The darkness has a close correlation with the Unknown (a fear that still roaming in our blood today)

#18    The Dreamer - Hybrid89

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

• Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostMagic Stars, on 10 April 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

(Posted in the wrong section I know. Wasn't sure where to put this) Anyway,

Are we born afraid of the dark like we supposedly are of spiders and snakes? I'm just curious if we are or if it's just something that comes from watching too many scary movies or something.
I dunno, here's what I think.

When I was 11 years old, I was kayaking with my class in a resort Called Delphi. We were kayaking in an inlet on the Irish sea. My classmate that was beside me was very very skinny and light, a guest of wind blew him under and then he grabbed me pulling me under too. After that, he got to the surface before I did and got up on top of the two kayaks, I was trapped underneath and my feet were sorta tangled in seaweed. I thought I was gonig to die as I started to swallow water, when suddenly a big hand came down and grabbed me taking me to the surface. The instructor saved my life.

What Im trying to say is, before that I was cautious around water, not that I was afraid. After that however I will admit that I was afraid of the Depp black waters that are quite common in Ireland. After that little incident we went back to the pier where we got the boats, everyone was jumping off the high pier into the deep water. Although I was afraid I did it anyway just to prove to myself that I was willing to face my fears. To this day im still overly cautious around dark waters.

Now Im a good swimmer and from what I was told as a teenager im a rather skilled kayak-er now. haha

My advice if your afraid of something, be smart about it and face your fears, 'appropriately'.

Posted Image

#19    The Dreamer - Hybrid89

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

• Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 12 April 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Fear is an evolution trait. When we're still animals, fear help us to stay away from the dark, where prowling the predators. So fear, which help us to survive, is good and is passed on the next generation through gene. When we see the dark, our natural instinct is triggered. The darkness has a close correlation with the Unknown (a fear that still roaming in our blood today)
I have to agree, my basic instincts have gotten me very far in my life. Often, when I could be going out at nights with friends, id get a strange gut feeling that this person was bad, you know a new guy that came down. By the end of the night I as right, that same guy started a fight with me.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users