Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Microsoft calls on users to ditch XP

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,983 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

Make windows 7 free and I'm sure plenty of people will convert.  Otherwise don't expect people to pay to replace something that works fine.

#17    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,369 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Our problem where i work is that we can't get off XP no matter how much we want to. I work in an industry where our productivity applications won't yet run on Windows 7. Windows 7 is awesome, but it's not so awesome when your document imaging software and origination software won't run on it. That's not MIcrosoft's fault though, that's the vendors fault. And contrary to popular belief, it's not easy or cheap to just go out and buy and deploy new productivity software for over 300 hardcore users. We'd love to move to Win7. And we'd love our users to stop trying to use Remote Desktop with their Mac's at home (or WORSE their iPads) those screwy Macs poop little temp files all over the network and don't clean up after themselves.

Oh, and just so no one isn't confused... I worked for MIcrosoft for 20 years off and on... if you think Apple and MIcrosoft compete against each other, you're mistaken, those two companies are SO in BED together it's not even funny. (actually, I take it back because it's pretty hilarious that they've managed to buffalo so many people with their fake rivalry. haha Microsoft has a huge amount of money and time invested in Apple's SUCCESS)

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#18    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 April 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Just install Linux on your old system. You don't have to be a Geek anymore to make it work, Windows applications run (mostly) without a problem using Wine or Vbox, it is faster, more stable and more reliable.

Agreed, besides a new version for most linux systems comes out every 6 months. It's free and downloads to fit on to a cd or dvd.

Actually thanks for bringing this up because I got a notice today that my ubuntu 10.10 is not supported anymore.
Think I'm gonna switch to linux mint.

Anyway, back on topic. It really sucks that they haven't tried making an improved version of xp. A lot of programs that work fine on xp fail to work with the newer operating systems.

Personally I would have liked Microsoft to put XP out on the market for free or at least a low price. Maybe set it up so security updates and such could be handed over to a community of volunteers who actually cared about keeping XP alive.
At least then they would have a product on the market that could potentially rival linux (price wise anyway).
Hell, It might even bring back some on the linux supporters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users