Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Tree of Life vs. Eternal Life

Ben Masada

THE TREE OF LIFE VS. ETERNAL LIFE

When reference is made about the Tree of Life in the Genesis account of Creation, the objective is to teach us the lesson that the attribute of eternal life was not granted to man.

According to Genesis 3:22, Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden with the purpose to prevent them from eating of the tree of life and live forever. It means that the attribute of eternity belongs with God only and not with man.

We are subjected to the law of genesis and destruction, that is, birth and death. Only God, Who had no beginning will have no end. So, any promise of eternal life given in the NT is a Pauline fabrication to promote creditation for the Church he had founded, according to Acts 11:26, and to keep people's hope up and attached to it.

Ben

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Masada

• keven3

• Copen

• Pauly Dangerously

When reference is made about the Tree of Life in the Genesis account of Creation, the objective is to teach us the lesson that the attribute of eternal life was not granted to man.

According to Genesis 3:22, Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden with the purpose to prevent them from eating of the tree of life and live forever. It means that the attribute of eternity belongs with God only and not with man.

We are subjected to the law of genesis and destruction, that is, birth and death. Only God, Who had no beginning will have no end. So, any promise of eternal life given in the NT is a Pauline fabrication to promote creditation for the Church he had founded, according to Acts 11:26, and to keep people's hope up and attached to it.

Ben

Interesting perspective.

I think that through Jesus' sacrifice we are offered eternal life on his merits alone and not on ours.

Keven

Ben

This is not an entirely accurate conclusion, as eternal life was spoken to in Daniel, Isaiah, Psalms and Job.

In Daniel 12:2 it is stated, "Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt."

Isaiah 26:19 states, "BUt your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of teh morning; the earth will give birth to her dead"

Psalm 16:10 "Because you will not abandonme to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay."

Job 19:26,27 "And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in flesh I will see God; I myself will see Him with my own eyes-I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"

According to these OT sources, eternal life was never in question.

Interesting perspective.

I think that through Jesus' sacrifice we are offered eternal life on his merits alone and not on ours.

Keven

Keven, I don't mean to be rude. I hope you don't take offense.

Some scriptures have been misunderstood to think eternal salvation was/is offered. They can be understood differently and thereby completely agree with the vast amount of scripture that teaches election and predestination.

According to the Bible, Jesus "came to save His people from their sins." He said, "I know my sheep by their name and when I call they come." God is all powerful. He said it is finished. He did what he came to do. No where is salvation an offer. Whosoever believeth HATH (past tense - already has) everlasting life. Believing is the evidence - not the way to get it. If man has the power to make or break what Jesus did, then he has every right to boast that he was smart enough or lucky enough to apply the blood to himself and obtain his eternal salvation. He has every right to boast for he merits his salvation.

There are 2 kinds of salvations (deliverances) in the Bible. Eternal salvation is100% by the shed blood of a spotless Lamb. Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith. Add anything to the blood (believe, accept, repent, confess, etc.) and you dilute the blood. Earthly - timely salvation is for those who are eternally saved and do not know Jesus. This salvation comes via the gospel. Blessings follow the obedient.

If God left something so vital as eternal salvation in the hands of man that by preaching the gospel they can be eternally saved --- then it was a very inept plan and man has failed miserably. The gospel didn't get to the Americas for 1,500 years. History says the gospel was spreading like gang busters for the first 500 years. Then all of civilized Europe went into a slumber called the Dark Middle Ages for 1,000 years. Then God awakened mankind. The printing press was invented which caused man to be able to read for themselves what the Bible said. Under the leadership of Martin Luther and John Calvin they began to have the biggest revivals since Jesus. They reverted back to the gospel of election and predestined. God was getting all the glory.

God bless us all is my prayer

Edited by Copen

Copen,

By my own experience, God has offered me salvation; I have accepted.

God bless you,

Keven

Edited by keven3

Interesting perspective.

Keven

I understand that, in your opinion, Jesus came to contradict God's Word. Is it the message you convey by saying that Jesus brought eternal life when we have very clearly that the attribute of eternal life was denied man by God Himself? Was Jesus working against the Scriptures? Hardly! Therefore, eternal life belongs to God only. We don't have it, no matter what. I am sorry if you are disappointed, but the Truth couldn't be more clear.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada

This is not an entirely accurate conclusion, as eternal life was spoken to in Daniel, Isaiah, Psalms and Job.

In Daniel 12:2 it is stated, "Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt." Isaiah 26:19 states, "BUt your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of teh morning; the earth will give birth to her dead" Psalm 16:10 "Because you will not abandonme to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay." Job 19:26,27 "And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in flesh I will see God; I myself will see Him with my own eyes-I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"

According to these OT sources, eternal life was never in question.

I agree with you that eternal life was never in question but for those who do not understand metaphorical language. That is, those of the kind of the literal interpretation club.

Pauli, according to Isaiah 53:8,9, for us, the Jews, when we are forced out into exile, it is as if we have been cut off from the Land of the Living, which is the Land of Israel, and graves have been assigned to us in the Diaspora among the Gentiles. That's exactly what the Prophet says. At the end of the exile, the Lord opens those graves up and brings His People back to the Land of Israel. That's in Ezekiel 37:12. That's the truth about resurrection in metaphorical terms. And there is nothing to refer the text to eternal life.

Now, with reference to Daniel 12:2, here is what it means: Many of those who are in exile, at the end of it, shall be aware that the exile is over. Some shall live forever, which means that they will return to the land of the living, which is the Land of Israel, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. These are those who choose to stay on in their condition of exile as the slave whom freedom is granted and prefers to remain as a slave. That is considered by the Jew as a shameful condition, everlasting contempt.

The decay referred to in Psalm 16:10 is what happened to Israel, the Ten Tribes. They decayed in the Diaspora and got

lost for good. But the Tribe of Judah, aka, the Jewish People, the Lord won't allow His holy ones to decay. It means that, usually, our exile is temporary.

And last but not least, Job 19:26,27 is just clear enough, that what he hoped was to happen in his own life, as he would recover from his distemper. I am sure you understand that he would not contradict himself to mean what you understand, when he says in Job 10:21 that, after death one is gone to the land that he or she will never return.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada

Ben

And

I understand that, in your opinion, Jesus came to contradict God's Word. Is it the message you convey by saying that Jesus brought eternal life when we have very clearly that the attribute of eternal life was denied man by God Himself? Was Jesus working against the Scriptures? Hardly! Therefore, eternal life belongs to God only. We don't have it, no matter what. I am sorry if you are disappointed, but the Truth couldn't be more clear.

Ben

Jesus, when he rose from the dead and then ascended into heaven and then allowed the outpouring of the holy spirit became the lamb who atones for our sins. For those of us around the world who accept this, who accept the redeeming power of Jesus into our souls, receive eternal salvation and thus live for eternity with God the Father, son and holy spirit.

Keven

Edited by keven3

Jesus, when he rose from the dead and then ascended into heaven and then allowed the outpouring of the holy spirit became the lamb who atones for our sins. For those of us around the world who accept this, who accept the redeeming power of Jesus into our souls, receive eternal salvation and thus live for eternity with God the Father, son and holy spirit.

Keven

Perhaps, you read my post about Jesus in contradiction with the Word of God, but you did not understand it. You insist that he changed what has been written to a different understanding from what is clearly stated in Genesis 3:22, that man was not granted to live forever. You must have been born and spent all of your life in the hope that the Scriptures does not mean what it says.

Ben

Perhaps, you read my post about Jesus in contradiction with the Word of God, but you did not understand it. You insist that he changed what has been written to a different understanding from what is clearly stated in Genesis 3:22, that man was not granted to live forever. You must have been born and spent all of your life in the hope that the Scriptures does not mean what it says.

Ben

I did read it and fully disagree with you. I was visited by God and believe in the Gospel, which includes Paul's testimony. Logic doesn't always help us with spiritual truths.

Keven

Copen,

By my own experience, God has offered me salvation; I have accepted.

God bless you,

Keven

Keven,

"The natural man receiveth not the spiritual things of God, they are foolishness to him, neither can he know them. " I Cor. 2:14 If the natural man can not know or understand anything about God in order to decide to accept them -- then God has to do a work in you and make you a spiritual man before you can see and hear and understand. After than man is receptive to God. "It's the work of God that you believe."

It may seem that Jesus offered salvation to you and you were smart enough or lucky enough to accept; but it contradicts scripture. You also would have the right to boast that you had any part (not matter how small) in accomplishing your eternal salvation.

John 1:13 "Who were born, not of blood (not a physical birth), nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man (not of man's mind and will), but of God."

Again, "It is not of him who willeth nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy...therefore hath He mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom HE WILL HE HARDENETH." Romans 9:16

According to the Bible God hardened the Pharaoh's heart twice so that he would not let the Israelites leave Egypt.

God bless us all is my prayer

Ben

The Tree of Life gave eternal PHYSICAL life. Had Adam and Eve eaten from it they never would have died physically. In their sinful state, if they never would die, sin would have increased and increased and life would be a never ending hell on earth. Angels were placed around it so that no one will accidentally come upon it and eat from it. Medical science has made many wonderful discoveries. People have living longer and bigger; but in the long run --- flesh is corruptible and everybody will die. Medical science will never find that Tree of Life.

Ben

The Tree of Life gave eternal PHYSICAL life. Had Adam and Eve eaten from it they never would have died physically. In their sinful state, if they never would die, sin would have increased and increased and life would be a never ending hell on earth. Angels were placed around it so that no one will accidentally come upon it and eat from it. Medical science has made many wonderful discoveries. People are living longer and growing bigger; but in the long run --- flesh is corruptible and everybody will die. Medical science will never find that Tree of Life.

Edited by Copen

I agree with you that eternal life was never in question but for those who do not understand metaphorical language. That is, those of the kind of the literal interpretation club.

Pauli, according to Isaiah 53:8,9, for us, the Jews, when we are forced out into exile, it is as if we have been cut off from the Land of the Living, which is the Land of Israel, and graves have been assigned to us in the Diaspora among the Gentiles. That's exactly what the Prophet says. At the end of the exile, the Lord opens those graves up and brings His People back to the Land of Israel. That's in Ezekiel 37:12. That's the truth about resurrection in metaphorical terms. And there is nothing to refer the text to eternal life.

Now, with reference to Daniel 12:2, here is what it means: Many of those who are in exile, at the end of it, shall be aware that the exile is over. Some shall live forever, which means that they will return to the land of the living, which is the Land of Israel, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. These are those who choose to stay on in their condition of exile as the slave whom freedom is granted and prefers to remain as a slave. That is considered by the Jew as a shameful condition, everlasting contempt.

The decay referred to in Psalm 16:10 is what happened to Israel, the Ten Tribes. They decayed in the Diaspora and got

lost for good. But the Tribe of Judah, aka, the Jewish People, the Lord won't allow His holy ones to decay. It means that, usually, our exile is temporary.

And last but not least, Job 19:26,27 is just clear enough, that what he hoped was to happen in his own life, as he would recover from his distemper. I am sure you understand that he would not contradict himself to mean what you understand, when he says in Job 10:21 that, after death one is gone to the land that he or she will never return.

Ben

That is certainly one Rabbinical interpretation of the text, but we must consider all possibilities. Regardless of the dogma, people have and will continue to believe that there awaits something far greater for them after death. Such things were promised to them through their holy book. I myself believe in none of it, OT or NT. It suffices perfectly for me that they are morality tales designed to help a tribal people coexist. Either way, better men than we have debated this for ages...

Keven

So, in that case, what is more important to you, the truth in the Scriptures or the Christian pre-conceived notions of your faith? The truth in the Word of God or what you have decided to believe?

Ben

I did read it and fully disagree with you. I was visited by God and believe in the Gospel, which includes Paul's testimony. Logic doesn't always help us with spiritual truths.

Keven

You are trying to tell me that what is written is not true? You did not disagree with me; you disagreed with whoever wrote the book of Genesis. I said nothing different from what is written in Genesis 3:22. God would not tell you to

contradict what is written.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada

The Tree of Life gave eternal PHYSICAL life. Had Adam and Eve eaten from it they never would have died physically. In their sinful state, if they never would die, sin would have increased and increased and life would be a never ending hell on earth. Angels were placed around it so that no one will accidentally come upon it and eat from it. Medical science has made many wonderful discoveries. People have living longer and bigger; but in the long run --- flesh is corruptible and everybody will die. Medical science will never find that Tree of Life.

Sorry, but that's a non sequitur. Simply mere verbal juggling that explains nothing.

Ben

That is certainly one Rabbinical interpretation of the text, but we must consider all possibilities. Regardless of the dogma, people have and will continue to believe that there awaits something far greater for them after death. Such things were promised to them through their holy book. I myself believe in none of it, OT or NT. It suffices perfectly for me that they are morality tales designed to help a tribal people coexist. Either way, better men than we have debated this for ages...

In that case, why not let those who believe consider the possibilities? I see your position more akin to Atheism. Usually their posts do not help

either way.

Ben

In that case, why not let those who believe consider the possibilities? I see your position more akin to Atheism. Usually their posts do not help

either way.

Ben

I'm fine with possibilities, what I can not stand for is claims of authority on issues which no one can be certain of. Trying to invalidate one fantasy with another is rather immature, but I digress.

Ben

The only problem with this is that, in the genesis account, adam and eve DID have eternal life. It was a part of their interconnection to god. When they gained access to the tree of knowledge god barred them from the tree of life(immortality) "lest they become as gods" ie; given knowledge and immortality (sufficient life span,) man was the potential equal in power to god. But man was young and stupid (or at least very emotionally and spiritually immature)and would have made a very dangerous god; and so god barred them from the tree of life and they began to die.

According to the genesis account this death took a long time (nearly a thousand years from memory) but it began when they separated themselves from oneness with god. Only in the presence of god/their oneness with him, (biblically speaking) do humans become immortal.

There is no doubt that adam and eve had already "eaten from the tree of life". God never forbade this. In fact in genesis his instruction was clear . They were to eat from ANY of the plants in eden, with ONE exception. The tree of knowledge. Their longevity in human terms is only explicable in the story via their connection to god/the tree of life. Once separated from both, they begin to die.

So within the context of the gensis story, the plot is clear, the "theology" transparent. Of course, how much, if any, one believes genesis, or what purpose one attributes to this creation story, is up to the individual.

Edited by Mr Walker

I'm fine with possibilities, what I can not stand for is claims of authority on issues which no one can be certain of. Trying to invalidate one fantasy with another is rather immature, but I digress.

With that idea, there would be no forums to discuss interfaith issues.

Ben

The only problem with this is that, in the genesis account, adam and eve DID have eternal life. It was a part of their interconnection to god. When they gained access to the tree of knowledge god barred them from the tree of life(immortality) "lest they become as gods" ie; given knowledge and immortality (sufficient life span,) man was the potential equal in power to god. But man was young and stupid (or at least very emotionally and spiritually immature)and would have made a very dangerous god; and so god barred them from the tree of life and they began to die.

According to the genesis account this death took a long time (nearly a thousand years from memory) but it began when they separated themselves from oneness with god. Only in the presence of god/their oneness with him, (biblically speaking) do humans become immortal.

There is no doubt that adam and eve had already "eaten from the tree of life". God never forbade this. In fact in genesis his instruction was clear . They were to eat from ANY of the plants in eden, with ONE exception. The tree of knowledge. Their longevity in human terms is only explicable in the story via their connection to god/the tree of life. Once separated from both, they begin to die.

So within the context of the gensis story, the plot is clear, the "theology" transparent. Of course, how much, if any, one believes genesis, or what purpose one attributes to this creation story, is up to the individual.

The only problem is rather that you don't quote any thing you state. That eternal life was denied man as an attribute, I quoted Genesis 3:22. Where is it written that Adam and Eve had eternal life before they ate of the tree of knowledge? Nowhere. If Biblically speaking humans become immortal, we

see everywhere in the Bible and out of it humans die. Where is it written in the Bible that humans become immortal? I must remind you that I am talking about the Tanach. The Hebrew Scriptures. Just in case you quote the NT, which is Hellenistic, and it well shows how humans can attain Christian immortality.

Ben

The only problem is rather that you don't quote any thing you state. That eternal life was denied man as an attribute, I quoted Genesis 3:22. Where is it written that Adam and Eve had eternal life before they ate of the tree of knowledge? Nowhere. If Biblically speaking humans become immortal, we

see everywhere in the Bible and out of it humans die. Where is it written in the Bible that humans become immortal? I must remind you that I am talking about the Tanach. The Hebrew Scriptures. Just in case you quote the NT, which is Hellenistic, and it well shows how humans can attain Christian immortality.

Ben

Apart from all the other contextual evidences in the genesis story, there is this very clear point. God told adam and eve they would die if they ate the fruit of knowledge. The corrollary of that (if we believe god to be a moral and truthful being) is that they would NOT die if they did not eat of it.

God removed adam amd eve from the garden and put a guard on the entrance to stop them renetering. While gods words in gen 3 22 can be taken in two ways, only one way makes sense in context. The tree of life and its leaves were (either literaly or metaphorically) a mechanism by which eternal life was maintained. One did not just eat them once, but partook of them constantly to have eternal life. This is also a metaphoricla device explaining how continued connection with god is needed for immortality.

Thus by cutting off humanity from the source of life (the tree, and god himself) god ended his creations "right" to the immortality with which he created it. The biblical promise, of course, is one of restoration; where god restores humanity, body and soul, to an immortal existence where the garden of eden is returned as a centre piece of a new earth. But that is a christian interpretation and requires, say, revelation to explain it. Again, it is one reason why judaism and christianity are different belief systems.

None the less, genesis as a stand alone book, indicates human's original immortality as a creature created by the divine.

Edited by Mr Walker

Apart from all the other contextual evidences in the genesis story, there is this very clear point. God told adam and eve they would die if they ate the fruit of knowledge. The corrollary of that (if we believe god to be a moral and truthful being) is that they would NOT die if they did not eat of it.

God removed adam amd eve from the garden and put a guard on the entrance to stop them renetering. While gods words in gen 3 22 can be taken in two ways, only one way makes sense in context. The tree of life and its leaves were (either literaly or metaphorically) a mechanism by which eternal life was maintained. One did not just eat them once, but partook of them constantly to have eternal life. This is also a metaphoricla device explaining how continued connection with god is needed for immortality.

Thus by cutting off humanity from the source of life (the tree, and god himself) god ended his creations "right" to the immortality with which he created it. The biblical promise, of course, is one of restoration; where god restores humanity, body and soul, to an immortal existence where the garden of eden is returned as a centre piece of a new earth. But that is a christian interpretation and requires, say, revelation to explain it. Again, it is one reason why judaism and christianity are different belief systems.

None the less, genesis as a stand alone book, indicates human's original immortality as a creature created by the divine.

The whole Genesis account of Creation is a huge allegory which only promotes ignorance if we venture a literal interpretation. Therefore, the truth is found only in the metaphorical realm of reality. BTW, I am posting a thread about "The Double Allegory of Creation." Not only individual topics within the allegory find fulfillment in a different archetype but also the general theme of the allegory leads to the point why man is the reason for Creation.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada