Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

" Tree Knocking " For Bigfoot

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,556 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Learn something new every day :)

Edited by Sakari, 10 April 2012 - 06:43 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,771 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

As a birder in general and a woodpecker enthusiast, I've always held the belief that "tree knocking" was simply woodpeckers doing what they do best.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,666 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

I think tree knocking is ridiculous. Even if bigfoot is real, this is more likely a aggressive, challange action, like a gorilla beating on itself, or whacking a branch about. I very much doubt that a bigfoot would hear tree knocking and come walking out of the woods naively thinking that another BF is calling him over. Even if it was communication, we would have no idea what we are saying.

http://www.thomsquat...ocking-101.html

It was a clear cold night and I was bundled up to ward off the chill.  I had a knit hat on my head underneath my hood, and ski gloves on my hands.  I was thinking about other ways of making a loud noise that would sound like a tree being whacked, and the answer just came to me in the form of a command:
"Cup both hands hands, and clap them together hard, right in front of your open mouth."  I don't know what made me think of this, but I clapped my cupped hands together right in front of my open mouth, and to my amazement,  the sound I made was a dead ringer for a stick hitting a hollow log. A perfect "tree knock!"  

I've always assumed that the Tree Knocking was dead wood falling to the ground. Or the crack/groan of a tree in the wind.

Edited by DieChecker, 10 April 2012 - 07:22 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,556 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 April 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

I think tree knocking is ridiculous. Even if bigfoot is real, this is more likely a aggressive, challange action, like a gorilla beating on itself, or whacking a branch about. I very much doubt that a bigfoot would hear tree knocking and come walking out of the woods naively thinking that another BF is calling him over. Even if it was communication, we would have no idea what we are saying.

http://www.thomsquat...ocking-101.html

I've always assumed that the Tree Knocking was dead wood falling to the ground. Or the crack/groan of a tree in the wind.

Diechecker, did you watch the video I posted?

That was the topic :)

Woodpeckers ( and other birds ) my friend, cool video, you should watch :)

Edited by Sakari, 10 April 2012 - 07:42 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,666 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

I used to live right under a bunch of acorn woodpeckers. A whole extended family of like 20.
Posted Image

I don't remember them pecking about much after dark, but most bigfoot tree knocks are after dark and are mostly reported as being one, two or three knocks, not a long string of knocks like a woodpecker makes.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,556 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 April 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

I used to live right under a bunch of acorn woodpeckers. A whole extended family of like 20.
Posted Image

I don't remember them pecking about much after dark, but most bigfoot tree knocks are after dark and are mostly reported as being one, two or three knocks, not a long string of knocks like a woodpecker makes.

In the video it is two knocks, and another type of bird using a stick instead of it's beak....Just a cool video I found, that shows there are real things out there that can do this.....Answered things..

It was the first I heard of it.....Thought I would share.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

To me this is hilarious,you can make all kinds of sounds with your hands,even sound like an Owl, I've even had Owls answering back, I wouldnt be around in the woods after dark if I thought Bigfoot and his mates were on the prowl,and Brown Bears climb trees,Grizzlies shake you out,knock on wood mate,its lucky,

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#8    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,556 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 10 April 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

To me this is hilarious,you can make all kinds of sounds with your hands,even sound like an Owl, I've even had Owls answering back, I wouldnt be around in the woods after dark if I thought Bigfoot and his mates were on the prowl,and Brown Bears climb trees,Grizzlies shake you out,knock on wood mate,its lucky,

Maybe I am reading wrong today.....I don't think you got why I made this topic either....Did you watch the video?

I am not claiming Bigfoot tree knocks, nor do I even think he remotley has a chance of being real......:blush:

I posted a interesting video showing birds tree knocking, some with their beaks, another with a stick.....Nothing more, nothing less.......

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#9    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 April 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

"most bigfoot tree knocks are after dark" Hmmm? That's not correct.

Bf shows are after dark.

And who knows where they get their after dark "knocks" from. I picture the team three stooges knocking their empty heads together.

Excellent info, Sakari.

And for me, I do extend it to a plausible explanation for bigfoot behavior claims.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 10 April 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#10    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,730 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

We once had a woodpecker that used to peck on our metal mailbox across the street. At first I thought it was odd behavior but I noticed that there were bugs living in/around the metal part of the mailbox. It would come back the same time every year for maybe five years then it stopped (maybe a cat caught it). It was just a bird with a little ingenuity. ^_^

Edited by Slave2Fate, 10 April 2012 - 08:10 PM.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#11    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostSakari, on 10 April 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Maybe I am reading wrong today.....I don't think you got why I made this topic either....Did you watch the video?

I am not claiming Bigfoot tree knocks, nor do I even think he remotley has a chance of being real......:blush:

I posted a interesting video showing birds tree knocking, some with their beaks, another with a stick.....Nothing more, nothing less.......
  Sorry I didnt mean to offend you,I will watch Vid,I have a wild Blackbird who comes and knocks on my window when he fancies some raisins for his dinner...Birds are intelligent,thats why they have survived predators for millenia,except pheasants which have a bad habit of running out in front of cars..

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#12    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 10 April 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

To me this is hilarious,you can make all kinds of sounds with your hands,even sound like an Owl, I've even had Owls answering back,
That was the point of the video.  David Attenborough knocks on wood twice quickly which is a well understood message to a particular type of woodpecker and he successfully lures a pair to respond to him and lures them over to him by making the knocking pattern of a rival woodpecker.

Edited by Archimedes, 10 April 2012 - 09:16 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#13    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,065 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostSakari, on 10 April 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Wouldn't this be better suited to the Natural World section ?

#14    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Wood knocking is something that happens with a lot of species, so if Bigfoots do exist, then I think it would be a reasonable thing for them to do.

Howls are something that most species do as a warning or to attract a mate more than anything else, not all mind you but most.

#15    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,556 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostSaru, on 10 April 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Wouldn't this be better suited to the Natural World section ?

Yes, it would be good there, although I wanted this to show that there are animals that do " tree knock " and could be mistaken as " Bigfoot ".

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users