Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

" Tree Knocking " For Bigfoot


  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#16    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostSakari, on 11 April 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Yes, it would be good there, although I wanted this to show that there are animals that do " tree knock " and could be mistaken as " Bigfoot ".
I don't think a woodpecker is going to be easily mistaken for a big, hairy, thingamajig with a big stick whomping on a tree stump. Personally, I don't want to see the woodpecker that sounds like that........just saying. That's one BFWP.

:w00t:


#17    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 11 April 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

I don't think a woodpecker is going to be easily mistaken for a big, hairy, thingamajig with a big stick whomping on a tree stump. Personally, I don't want to see the woodpecker that sounds like that........just saying. That's one BFWP.

:w00t:

You'd be surprised at how little creatures can make big sounds.

And keep in mind, each species of woodpecker has a different knock - some rapid and some slow and methodical.  Other species of bird do this as well.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#18    Sakari

Sakari

    Say it how it is

  • Member
  • 13,063 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 11 April 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

I don't think a woodpecker is going to be easily mistaken for a big, hairy, thingamajig with a big stick whomping on a tree stump. Personally, I don't want to see the woodpecker that sounds like that........just saying. That's one BFWP.

:w00t:



You know....

I watched not Finding Bigfoot, and many other shows with that, and listened to " tree knocking " recordings.........Sounded just like the video I posted, just as loud, if not louder.( louder as in woodpecker was louder than the " Bigfoot " tree knocks )....Sound carries, and is amplified in forest environments.

Kind of the point I was making by posting the video in this topic...........


So, whether you " think " so or not, the video ( audio ) shows that yes, the sound could very easily be mistaken with a fictional made up big hairy thingamajig with a big stick....

Edited by Sakari, 11 April 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#19    Stardrive

Stardrive

    Resident Bass Guitarist

  • Member
  • 3,267 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

If we can train a woodpecker to give out a whoop whoop between pecks we'd have this thing sewed up...
.

Posted Image

#20    Saru

Saru

    Site Webmaster

  • 20,384 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2001
  • Gender:Male

  • "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostSakari, on 11 April 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Yes, it would be good there, although I wanted this to show that there are animals that do " tree knock " and could be mistaken as " Bigfoot ".
No problem then, it's ok where it is as long as there's a connection to a cryptozoology related topic.


#21    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostStardrive, on 11 April 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

If we can train a woodpecker to give out a whoop whoop between pecks we'd have this thing sewed up...
.

Not necessary.  There are plenty of other animals that make whooping sounds.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#22    Stardrive

Stardrive

    Resident Bass Guitarist

  • Member
  • 3,267 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Nor did I imply there wasn't.

Posted Image

#23    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostRafterman, on 11 April 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

You'd be surprised at how little creatures can make big sounds.

And keep in mind, each species of woodpecker has a different knock - some rapid and some slow and methodical.  Other species of bird do this as well.
Dude, if you can't tell the difference from a woodpecker knock and a primate knock then you probably shouldn't be in the woods alone. Just saying, I've never  heard any species of woodpecker make a knock like that.......granted, I haven't heard them all and there could be some mutant strain of woodpecker that's louder than others, but still.


#24    evancj

evancj

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,777 posts
  • Joined:07 Sep 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern, UT

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostSakari, on 11 April 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Yes, it would be good there, although I wanted this to show that there are animals that do " tree knock " and could be mistaken as " Bigfoot ".

Excellent Subject (as always) Sakari,  :tu:  

I usually make it a point to investigate any wood knocking sounds I hear on my hikes, 90% of the time it's woodpeckers (and I have the photos to prove it), 10% of the time it's ravens.

Crows and ravens have vocalizations that imitate wood knocking perfectly (usually a rapid series of 4, or 5 knocks).


#25    j b

j b

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Joined:27 Dec 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alaska

  • If you canít explain it simply, you donít understand it well enough
    -Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

sorry i havent been online in a while.. really enjoyed the video  :tu:


#26    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 11 April 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Dude, if you can't tell the difference from a woodpecker knock and a primate knock then you probably shouldn't be in the woods alone. Just saying, I've never  heard any species of woodpecker make a knock like that.......granted, I haven't heard them all and there could be some mutant strain of woodpecker that's louder than others, but still.

Sorry I wasn't aware I was in the presence of a primate wood knock expert.  How much time have you spent in the jungle?

How exactly does one differentiate between a primate knock and other knocks?  Where have you heard such primate knocks?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#27    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostRafterman, on 11 April 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Sorry I wasn't aware I was in the presence of a primate wood knock expert.  How much time have you spent in the jungle?

How exactly does one differentiate between a primate knock and other knocks?  Where have you heard such primate knocks?

Expert on wood knocking? Depends on how you wish to define the term "expert" really. Personally, I've been banging on trees since I was a kid and I know most species of birds, woodpeckers....Ravens.... and such that make knocking sounds. Here's something simple, go out to a tree......any tree in any location, could be your back yard. Have with you a wooden bat, club, dead tree limb, whatever and bang on the tree as hard and fast as you can. Record it if you must, then listen to the sounds of woodpeckers or whatever. If you think they sound alike then you need to have your hearing checked. The pitch, rhythm and cadence are all wrong. They sound nothing alike.

You don't have to be a certified expert to be able to hear, however sadly, many people hear anything in the woods they jump to the conclusion they just hear a "Squatch", because it's what they want to hear. Truth is if you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be out in the woods unless accompanied by an adult.


#28    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 12 April 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

Expert on wood knocking? Depends on how you wish to define the term "expert" really. Personally, I've been banging on trees since I was a kid and I know most species of birds, woodpeckers....Ravens.... and such that make knocking sounds. Here's something simple, go out to a tree......any tree in any location, could be your back yard. Have with you a wooden bat, club, dead tree limb, whatever and bang on the tree as hard and fast as you can. Record it if you must, then listen to the sounds of woodpeckers or whatever. If you think they sound alike then you need to have your hearing checked. The pitch, rhythm and cadence are all wrong. They sound nothing alike.

You don't have to be a certified expert to be able to hear, however sadly, many people hear anything in the woods they jump to the conclusion they just hear a "Squatch", because it's what they want to hear. Truth is if you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be out in the woods unless accompanied by an adult.

So that would be a "no" then.  Thanks for confirming that.

And I would agree.  Most Bigfoot "experts" shouldn't be in the woods unless accompanied by an adult.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#29    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

Well, I don't know if it's a "no" or not because you never defined the term "expert" for me.

I do have ears and can hear reasonably well, am familiar with most knocking sounds I hear in the woods. Am I required to have a Ph. D. in order to listen?


#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 20,625 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

@ Sakari:
Did not mean to disrespect your thread. The title does say Tree Knocking for Bigfoot. So I posted other stuff that refered to Bigfoot Tree Knocking. I recognized your point and thought to make a couple of my own.  :w00t:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users