Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

" Tree Knocking " For Bigfoot

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#46    mitchall

mitchall

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostRafterman, on 10 April 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

As a birder in general and a woodpecker enthusiast, I've always held the belief that "tree knocking" was simply woodpeckers doing what they do best.
There is a "distinct" difference between the knocking sounds referred to as made by bigfoot and a woodpecker !!

#47    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 12 April 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

True, and you are the one who hasn't defined the term expert as yet. If you want to hear recordings of primate tree knocking try using Google, however you are the one suggesting that woodpeckers and primate tree knocking can be confused my only misgiving in this was telling you you are mistaken and your ego can't handle it. If Googling is too much for you to do then do some research and head down to a zoo where they have primates and give a listen.

Yes, yes, you know it all and damn anyone who tells you different. You'd do well at the BFRO, only to you everything is a woodpecker.

I'm not disrespecting you either, I simply think you're an idiot with an ego problem. A rather deadly combination. Then when someone calls you on it you simply become indignant and then demand I prove you're wrong. On a subject of speculation for which you know already that there is no proof. Get over your ego and try and learn something.

For someone who joined this forum less than a week ago, you seem to be doing a great job making friends.  I guess what they say about those who stoop to personal attacks is true.

My point that you so obviously missed is that folks who confuse the normal sounds of woodland creatures with primate tree knocking more than likely have no real experience identifying primate tree knocks in the first place.  So for you to claim that it is impossible to confuse the two, you need to then show us that you are knowledgeable in identifying primate tree knocks.  I simply asked you to share your expertise with us.

But please, continue with the insults.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#48    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

View Postmitchall, on 13 April 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

There is a "distinct" difference between the knocking sounds referred to as made by bigfoot and a woodpecker !!

Can you share those distinctions with us please?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#49    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Woodpeckers are not nocturnal. The woodpecker theory is only good for the daytime.

Are woodpeckers nocturnal?
Answer: Woodpeckers are not nocturnal, they usually eat in the morning and early evening.
Source

Posted Image

#50    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,569 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostStardrive, on 13 April 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Woodpeckers are not nocturnal. The woodpecker theory is only good for the daytime.

Answer:                      Woodpeckers are not nocturnal, they usually eat in the morning and early evening.
Source

That is fine.....( edited to add bottom information, it is not fine )

The entire reason I posted this topic was to show that IF someone REALLY heard a sound like tree knocking, there are answers for it......And they are not a Bigfoot.

Thanks to the new guy here, we now also know that the story of " it is Primate behavior to tree knock " is a bunch of total B.S. made up by bigfoot fanatics.

So, we now know about other animals that do it, and we also know what animals do not.

Who knows, maybe a Woodpecker being disturbed at night while roosting does knock.Just because they are not active at night does not mean they would not still warn others they live there.

Edited by Sakari, 13 April 2012 - 05:02 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#51    msmike1

msmike1

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

The bottom line is that woodpeckers are just one of many alternatives to a huge undiscovered ape. Many animals make knocking sounds in one way form or fasion as well as some other explanations that are not related to animals at all. Underground pipe lines for example make a thumping or knocking sound that can sometimes be heard for quite some distance. Beavers, as was eluded to in another thread, not only smack their tails in the water, but use their tails out of the water when building their damns. They beat the mud and sticks down and can make a lot of noise. Hell, a tree swaying in the wind can make a knocking sound for that matter.

Are these the only examples of explanations other than a huge ape? No they aren't. They are just some instances in which a sound that some call tree knocking can be made by other things.

Mike

#52    grendals_bane

grendals_bane

Master Procrastinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

• I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned. - Byron

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

I have been trying to find a decent "Bigfoot Tree Knocking " sound clip or even video so I can compare it to some of the sounds of Woodpeckers etc.

So far I haven't found one that doesn't have some idiot talking all the way though, while occasionally saying "Do you hear that?" so you can't properly hear what it is they are referring too· They clearly no nothing about trying to find any form of animal as they make so much darn noise.

Rant over. :P

As to tree knocking in general it is most likely just natural sounds you hear in a forest such as known animals, falling dead wood etc.

I also did a search for primate tree knocking and came up empty handed like everyone else who searched.

"There is no such thing as good and evil, just various shades of grey."

#53    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostStardrive, on 13 April 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Answer: Woodpeckers are not nocturnal, they usually eat in the morning and early evening.
Source

You are correct.

But if you read through this thread, it's not about woodpeckers.  Simply put, woodpeckers were offered as one explanation among many as to why bangs and knocks in the forest don't have to be explained as bigfoot related.

#54    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostSakari, on 13 April 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

That is fine.....( edited to add bottom information, it is not fine )

The entire reason I posted this topic was to show that IF someone REALLY heard a sound like tree knocking, there are answers for it......And they are not a Bigfoot.

So, we now know about other animals that do it, and we also know what animals do not.

Who knows, maybe a Woodpecker being disturbed at night while roosting does knock.Just because they are not active at night does not mean they would not still warn others they live there.
Still fine. My point was that your point is good for daytime knocking only. Most of the wood knocking sound files I found that are attributed to bigfeet are at night. Which would in turn negates the possibility of a woodpecker, or at the least minimize it's likelihood being that it was documented at night. The reason wood knocks are attributed to bigfoot in the first place is because whoops interspersed with wood knocks have been reported and recorded. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for that as well. Like 2 different audio events happening at the same time in close proximity to give it the impression of it coming from a single source. And no, we don't know for a fact that bigfeet whoop or wood knock nor do we have any concrete proof of mr. hairy.

In the end though, there are plenty of other possible sources of knocking sounds in the forest even at night. Yeah, even a woodpecker with the midnight munchies, but that's not very likely due to the fact they are not nocturnal.

Posted Image

#55    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 April 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

You are correct.

But if you read through this thread, it's not about woodpeckers.  Simply put, woodpeckers were offered as one explanation among many as to why bangs and knocks in the forest don't have to be explained as bigfoot related.
Oh I understand more than you think. Yes I read the thread. Thanks just the same.

Posted Image

#56    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,569 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostStardrive, on 13 April 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Still fine. My point was that your point is good for daytime knocking only. Most of the wood knocking sound files I found that are attributed to bigfeet are at night. Which would in turn negates the possibility of a woodpecker, or at the least minimize it's likelihood being that it was documented at night. The reason wood knocks are attributed to bigfoot in the first place is because whoops interspersed with wood knocks have been reported and recorded. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for that as well. Like 2 different audio events happening at the same time in close proximity to give it the impression of it coming from a single source. And no, we don't know for a fact that bigfeet whoop or wood knock nor do we have any concrete proof of mr. hairy.

In the end though, there are plenty of other possible sources of knocking sounds in the forest even at night. Yeah, even a woodpecker with the midnight munchies, but that's not very likely due to the fact they are not nocturnal.

Can you share some of these sound files you found?

And, do we know they were taken at night, or even outside for that matter?

And your last sentence pretty much is what I have been saying......I just posted the woodpeckers and the bird with the stick, because that was the first I had heard of that before.....Kind of a " add this to your things that do go bump in the woods " list......

On second thought, forget the sound files, enough of those spread about on this forum.( I think ), and this is really not about that anyway.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#57    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

On second thought, forget the sound files, enough of those spread about on this forum.( I think ), and this is really not about that anyway.

Boy, you can say that again!  :lol:

#58    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

If you want a clear knock: BFRO "1974 whoops and knocks from CA". Now, who knocked and who whooped on the recording, Tom, Dick, or Harry? is up for debate. But my guess is one of them.
My sincere thought on the identity of the nighttime wood knocking and whooping culprit? Hu man- more often than not.
Darkness hides a load of crap. :P

Here's a wikianswer to Do woodpeckers come out at night? Though not proof of anything of itself, I know

Yes! The reason I know this is, I have a woodpecker in my yard,who I hear very frequently just pecking away like theres no tomorrow! I have even seen this little cutie! He live in a tree that is no more than half a foot away from my bathroom window. Sometimes I spy on him at night,sneaking very quietly to next to the window! He (or she) is very beautiful from what I can see of him!The bird in question usually comes out at anywhere between 8:30 and 10:00 P.M. He is out in the day too,but maybe he has trouble sleeping,or wants a midnight snack once in a while! (LOL!)

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 April 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#59    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

forget it

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 April 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#60    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,569 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

View Postmitchall, on 13 April 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

But, is there a " distinct " difference of those sounds if a woodpecker was knocking in the area referred ?

Do we have that for comparison?

2 separate sources of a knock, recorded in the same place, same time, same wind direction, same temp, etc, etc......

Edited by Sakari, 13 April 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users