Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Major earthquake - 8.7 - hits Indonesia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

A minute ago I turned on my tv and saw this on CNN.

Nothing much is known yet. It happened west of Sumatra.

A tsunami alarm for all the countries around the Indian Ocean.

Holy crap, not again!

+++

EDIT:

They do not expect it to be as bad as on X-mas 2004, but I wouldn't wait to find out.

I hope anyone living around the Indian Ocean and reading this runs to higher ground.

+++

A 6 meters (18 feet) high wave expected at Simeulue island west of Bander Aceh.

+++

The water at the coasts there is not retreating which is normally a tell-tale sign of an impending tsunami.

Edited by Abramelin, 11 April 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#2    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

They are barely talking about it on the news, usually a sign that not much has happened.

They have mentioned the earthquake once and the fact that Justin Beiber was bullied in school three times.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,928 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

It looks like luck is on their side this time round - the earthquake did not generate a Tsunami and at this time is unlikely to.  So ... now CNN is "reminiscing" about the Boxing Day Tsunami of 2006 :unsure2:  .

God bless all Indonesia, I am glad they were spared the worst and got to give their warning system a decent test run, hope no one panicked and hurt themselves getting to higher ground though. They are resilient people overall me thinks.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,928 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Update on CCN now - an aftershock of almost the same magnitude (8.2) has struck in the last few minutes.  Water receding off the coast off an island off the west coast of Sumatra - gee I wish they would be more specific.  Watch this space I guess ...

Edited by libstaK, 11 April 2012 - 11:09 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 11 April 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Update on CCN now - an aftershock of almost the same magnitude (8.2) has struck in the last few minutes.  Water receding off the coast off an island off the west coast of Sumatra - gee I wish they would be more specific.  Watch this space I guess ...

I guess it's Simeulue island.

#6    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

“It doesn’t look like a major tsunami. But we are still monitoring as tsunamis come in waves,”   :huh:  
http://www.thejakart...ndonesia/510730

At least things seem safe for the moment

#7    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,928 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postjules99, on 11 April 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

"It doesn't look like a major tsunami. But we are still monitoring as tsunamis come in waves,"   :huh:  
http://www.thejakart...ndonesia/510730

At least things seem safe for the moment

If I was drinking my coffee when I read that I would have sprayed my screen :w00t:

#8    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Glad to say the worst seems to be over.

But the next is what I have been thinking of:

Dadang, nevertheless, added that there were worries that the major quakes on Wednesday could trigger further frictions on the Indoaustralian tectonic plate, resulting in more string of quakes along western Sumatra coasts.

“Thus people living along western Sumatra coasts, starting from Aceh, North Sumatra, West Sumatra, Bengkulu and Lampung must stay alert,” he warned

http://www.thejakart...ias-aceh/510897

#9    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Karlis posted this today, in the Science & Technology forum:

Scientists had expected Indonesia quake
Karnataka,Crime/Disaster/Accident,Science/Tech, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 IANS

Bangalore, April 12 (IANS) Scientists had been expecting Wednesday's great earthquake off Sumatra but it occurred a little sooner, according to Arun Bapat, an Indian seismologist in Pune.

Bapat is one of the associate scientists of the newly formed International Earthquake and Volcano Prediction Center (IEVPC) based in Orlando, Florida in the United States.

Asked why the IEVPC failed to predict Wednesday's 8.6 Richter earthquake that triggered tsunami fears in Indian Ocean countries, Bapat said they did suspect an impending quake on April 5 itself.

In an email to IANS Bapat said: "We were expecting occurrence of a large magnitude earthquake in Indonesia.... We were debating it and the expected time window was about 10 to 15 days." But it has occurred earlier, he said.

Bapat said he sensed the possible occurrence of the earthquake first on March 21 itself after having observed the satellite picture of the Total Electron Content (TEC). The TEC is the total number of electrons present between any two points in the Earth's ionosphere and is measured as the number of electrons per square meter.

(...)

According to Bapat, the IEVPC warned earlier this week that a major earthquake and possible tsunami will strike Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia between now and the end of June 2012

http://www.newstrack...sia-quake-.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users