Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A hypothetical grid of invisible lines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

www.csindy.com said:

"The Great Pyramid at Giza happens to be on a great intersection of ley lines, and Sedona, Arizona is too," says Elise Eagle, "and so is Garden of the Gods.There are some places on the planet that are actually more attractive, because these ships actually use this grid to maneuver. Posted Image Read more...

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,056 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Is there any reliable way to detect ley lines?

#3    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,730 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

how can you detect something that doesn't exist?

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,350 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

The link appears to be broken, Karlis - I get a "503 Service Unavailable" error when trying to connect.

As for 'ley lines', I'd be open to some sort of phenomenon based perhaps on the relative locations of gravitic anomalies on the planet's surface (i.e. very weak spatial distortions that are just detectable to some through the sense of balance, giving them a 'weird' feeling), but I would not grant such a phenomenon 'mystical' status.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    RightInTheStatisticals

RightInTheStatisticals

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

• Do, or do not, there is no try. ~ A little green alien

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Since I have been reading UM, I have come to new respect for the ability of the human mind for imagination and its desire to see patterns in everything. I had no idea what a 'ley line' was until I just googled it now (wiki link). It seems akin to the nonsense about attributing a random layout of hills on Mars to an actual alien city (link) or the ancient canals theorized years before that (link).

People like to imagine that when they see what they think is a pattern (even if there truely is one) that there has to be a greater meaning to. This is in no way a bad thing as its a driving force of science in general. However a side effect is stuff like 'ley lines'.

tl;dr - human imagaination sometimes goes wild, not all patterns have a relvent meaning.

//Link doesn't seem to work; I get a maintenance message.

#6    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,543 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'm not sure the concept of "ley lines" was even understood to ancient peoples. I think it's in the realm of New Agers, who can be very deep thinkers but to the point that reality has slipped over the horizon for them.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,319 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 11 April 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

I'm not sure the concept of "ley lines" was even understood to ancient peoples. I think it's in the realm of New Agers, who can be very deep thinkers but to the point that reality has slipped over the horizon for them.

Now, now....

But to the theme itself, the concept has been debunked so many times that it is not even a source of amusement anymore. Why does it keep popping up?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    RightInTheStatisticals

RightInTheStatisticals

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

• Do, or do not, there is no try. ~ A little green alien

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 11 April 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Now, now....

But to the theme itself, the concept has been debunked so many times that it is not even a source of amusement anymore. Why does it keep popping up?

Well, specifically, it looks like Chet Hardin at the Colorado Springs Independent was assigned a news filler piece.

On a more general note, because people are stubborn and have to be right?

#9    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Watkins never attributed any supernatural significance to leys; he believed that they were simply pathways that had been used for trade or ceremonial purposes, very ancient in origin, possibly dating back to the Neolithic, certainly pre-Roman. His obsession with leys was a natural outgrowth of his interest in landscape photography and love of the British countryside. He was an intensely rational person with an active intellect, and I think he would be a bit disappointed with some of the fringe aspects of ley lines today".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

#10    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

Would be pretty cool if there actually was some sort of unknown force that the ancients knew of that we simply do not know how to detect yet. However, a fringe idea which was imagined by charlatans.

Another thing about Watkins. When he had drew up some of his "maps" of leys, they were basically going in all directions due to the amount of ancient sites. It's completely absurd to think that all ancient sites would be attributed to this concept. Perhaps a few, but all of them? That's where the idea falls flat, well it fell flat when it was imagined actually!

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#11    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,358 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

But I can draw a line from my house to the White House (a long line for sure) or anywhere else in the globe.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#12    jmccr8

jmccr8

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 12 April 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

But I can draw a line from my house to the White House (a long line for sure) or anywhere else in the globe.

There are govt buildings all over the world that are constructed on cardinal points and connected on lie lines,of course this knowledge is kept secret by dubious international agencies bent on world domination.jmccr8

#13    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,975 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

If Ley lines are associated with getting leyed, then please pass me the chalk.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#14    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,358 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

View Postjmccr8, on 12 April 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

There are govt buildings all over the world that are constructed on cardinal points and connected on lie lines,of course this knowledge is kept secret by dubious international agencies bent on world domination.jmccr8
Kept so secret everyone who can log onto the internet can see it?
Brilliant secret keeping there sinister international cabal!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#15    burt_ie

burt_ie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 12 April 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

Exactly... just draw a load of lines connecting every ancient structure on the world and then make up some crap about mystical powers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users