Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Did Adam and Eve really exist?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Just saw this on another forum and thought i'd share.

George Pell

In comments that may shock some staunch Catholics, Cardinal George Pell has described the biblical story of Adam and Eve as a myth.

He appeared alongside renowned evolutionary biologist and atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins, on the ABC's Q&A program last night.

Full Article

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,574 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm not sure why they'd be shocked, I thought it was widely known the Church accepts evolution? Evolution isn't compatible with the literal story of Adam and Eve.

#3    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,956 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 11 April 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

I'm not sure why they'd be shocked, I thought it was widely known the Church accepts evolution? Evolution isn't compatible with the literal story of Adam and Eve.
If Adam and Eve were real, then explain why every painting of them has a bellybutton.  :rolleyes:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#4    keven3

keven3

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

View Postdanbell06, on 11 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

George Pell

Full Article
I was raised to believe that old and new testament alike are the word of God. But we do not take all passages as literal. Catholics for the most part are open to myth as it describes religious truths.
Keven

#5    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,537 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Our Bible Study group had a week off this week and tonight we went out for dinner instead of our regular study.  My co-leader mentioned this debate during our first course.  I hadn't heard anything about it or what it was even about, but my initial thoughts were that George Pell was totally out of his league debating Dawkins.  But I'm glad he has some sense in responding to this question.  I agree with him, and as a Christian am not surprised that many priests and theologians seem to agree that it is a story.  I wouldn't say it is entirely mythical, but it represents the pre-Hebrew oral history of this group of people, so while there may be some basis in actual events (oral tradition often is based on real events), it is impossible to label this with as full and total history but instead as a myth to explain evil in our world.  

Just my thoughts :)

~ PA

Edited by Paranoid Android, 11 April 2012 - 07:32 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,574 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 11 April 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

If Adam and Eve were real, then explain why every painting of them has a bellybutton.  :rolleyes:
They're not, if even if they were real the paintings were painted by people who never met them.

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

My most troubling thought about Adam & Eve is that it suggests that everyone afterwards were "inbred"
I was under the impression that close family inbreeding can cause severe mental issues, so it doesn't make sense to me.

#8    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

View Postpallidin, on 12 April 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

My most troubling thought about Adam & Eve is that it suggests that everyone afterwards were "inbred"
I was under the impression that close family inbreeding can cause severe mental issues, so it doesn't make sense to me.
Hey cousin :w00t:

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#9    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,956 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 12 April 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Hey cousin :w00t:
Same thing would have happened to Noah and his 'immediate family'.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,634 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

It's a valid point but I wonder where the great diversity of DNA came from?

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#11    drsam

drsam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

as far as i have studied quran and the word adam is used for the whole human kind and still muslims ignore it and cosider same what bible says about him

for me adam is whole human kind all were created at first we all did sin and we all were sent to give the test in this world one after another

otherwise if adam was only one man than god is unjust to  punish me because i have not sinned but adam did and all religions books says that father would not bear sins of the son and son would not bear sins of the father

so if adam was one man and he did mistake and was kicked out of heaven than  why am i here?

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong. Abraham Lincoln

#12    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

Funny enough, that book also talks about cain and seth marrying women from other lands, which indicates the myth of adam and eve being the only created beings as false.  That would of course debunk the incest part of it, but then the mythical flood would put them back at square one of incest.  One should expect plot holes like that in such an old fantasy book.  Not like the original writers were literary geniuses.

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

View Postdanbell06, on 11 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

George Pell

Full Article

I never believed in Adam and Eve... To me  it was just a tall tale  to try and explain why humans are here  .... Anyone intelligent could not possibly beleive in the Adam and Eve tales now...  Just stories ..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#14    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,290 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Postand then, on 15 April 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

It's a valid point but I wonder where the great diversity of DNA came from?

There is no great diversity of DNA. There is a very small diversity, and most of it is superficial. Only a 0.1%  difference exists between all humans in existence.

If the genome were a book, every person's book would contain the same paragraphs and chapters, arranged in the same order. Each book would tell more or less the same story. But my book might contain a typo on page 303 that yours lacks, and your book might use a British spelling on page 135 "colour", where mine uses the American spelling, "color."

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#15    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,290 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 April 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

I never believed in Adam and Eve... To me  it was just a tall tale  to try and explain why humans are here  .... Anyone intelligent could not possibly beleive in the Adam and Eve tales now...  Just stories ..

Yet, even being stories, they tell a compelling truth, mankind is seperated from God by his own actions and ego.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users