Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Plasma Universe ... say what now?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    RightInTheStatisticals

RightInTheStatisticals

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

• Do, or do not, there is no try. ~ A little green alien

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Well, I again learn about something new at UM. This time it's 'The Plasma Universe'

I was going to reply to a post in a thread about the Big Bang (link) in the Spirituality vs Skepticism forum, but thought I'd start a new thread to help my understanding.

My first reaction from a cursory google search is extrememly skeptical as many of the proponent have big colorful websites that all say the same thing, while collectively dismissing the Big Bang Theory as old science we need to move beyond.

A few links to proponent websites:
www.plasmacosmology.net
plasmauniverse.info

I've spent a small bit of time reading what they say and am no closer to understanding how this 'theory' replaces BBT. Can anyone enlighten me as it seems that most of what I've read appears to be pseudo-science at best.

EDIT:
Also where are they getting this 99.9999% of all matter in the universe is plasma statistic?

Edited by RightInTheStatisticals, 11 April 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Thinks, I have always been fascinated by plasma. I'll read the links and get back to you.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

It's my understanding that instead of this "Plasma Universe theory" replacing the BBT, it only is a part of it (meaning, it isn't a theory, but rather a fact that plasma exists)..

I've read how some people disagree. Saying that "something can not come from nothing". That is simply an opinion. The universe is full of plasma. Stars, lightening, etc., these are all sources of plasma. So it isn't something new, but has recently been a new fringe theory. The only reason it is getting attention is because, people are saying it explains the universe better then the BBT. Which simply isn't true. There is no model presented as of yet, that has been confirmed or supported by any physicists that replaces the BBT.

The number, 99.999 or whatever, would mean that all matter (including dark matter an dark energy) is static electricity. This is unknown and not testable by any means at this point. :)

edit; Also, that number would seem to suggest that even the vacuum of space is charged. Not true. :)

Edited by Mentalcase, 12 April 2012 - 12:44 AM.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#4    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

More important though, is this :-
What is the 0.00001% made of?  :)

#5    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 12 April 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

More important though, is this :-
What is the 0.00001% made of?  :)

Idiots who come up with stupid theories? Although, that number via number of humans, would be near 99.999% I think. lmao!

Edited by Mentalcase, 12 April 2012 - 02:23 AM.

I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#6    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostMentalcase, on 12 April 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

Idiots who come up with stupid theories? Although, that number via number of humans, would be near 99.999% I think. lmao!

How right you are :)

#7    RightInTheStatisticals

RightInTheStatisticals

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

• Do, or do not, there is no try. ~ A little green alien

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

This has been an interesting read, but I think it truely lost me when they started to talk about electro-magnetism having a greater effect on a macro scale than gravity.

Eh, well I learned soemthing different in any case. Thanks Mentalcase for your input and thank you UM for helping me come up with more material to keep me from working. This site can be adicting.  :rofl:

Edited by RightInTheStatisticals, 12 April 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

So that big amoeba in that star trek episode burst ?
Sorry.couldn't resist. :rofl:  :rofl:

Miss me?

#9    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostRightInTheStatisticals, on 12 April 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

This has been an interesting read, but I think it truely lost me when they started to talk about electro-magnetism having a greater effect on a macro scale than gravity.

Eh, well I learned soemthing different in any case. Thanks Mentalcase for your input and thank you UM for helping me come up with more material to keep me from working. This site can be adicting.  :rofl:
^_^ Glad I could be of service!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users