Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

You have no internet. Now what?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,439 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostParacelse, on 12 April 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

You have a HAM station ??? :wacko: :wacko:

Does it work by pedaling some sort of generator like the one I had in the army ?

Only QRP stations work off the mains nowadays (the hobby there is to get a transmission all around the world with hardly enough power for a flash light). Some people like me build their own transceiver and antennas, most order it out of a catalog nowadays. The only prerequisite is to pass the operators test (comes in two types: technical for up to 100 Watts power or unlimited, test for technical is very easy). I don't know if France has a reciprocity agreement with the US and if they allow testing in English.

Edited by questionmark, 12 April 2012 - 10:01 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#17    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 April 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

Only QRP stations work off the mains nowadays (the hobby there is to get a transmission all around the world with hardly enough power for a flash light). Some people like me build their own transceiver and antennas, most order it out of a catalog nowadays. The only prerequisite is to pass the operators test (comes in two types: technical for up to 100 Watts power or unlimited, test for technical is very easy). I don't know if France has a reciprocity agreement with the US and if they allow testing in English.
Thanks I will look into it.  Actually my French is rather good :P heck I speak better French (more academic that is) than a big chunk of the locals.  Do you guys occasionaly use morse code still?  I learned that also.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#18    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,439 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostParacelse, on 13 April 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Thanks I will look into it.  Actually my French is rather good :P heck I speak better French (more academic that is) than a big chunk of the locals.  Do you guys occasionaly use morse code still?  I learned that also.

Yes and no. When I took the test in the 70s it was still required to be able to Morse at 13 WPM, but even then it was not taken very seriously. Most don't handkey anymore using an automatic key or a computer (type the word hear the beeps). Because it is much easier to send large distances with low power using carrier interrupted Morse it is still very popular among the QRP record hunter. For a technical license it is not required.

AA9PW has a good site to practice the exam.

Edit: just checked and found out that according to the new rules Morse is not required anymore, even for the extra license.. which more or less enables you to do whatever you want within the amateur bands)

Edited by questionmark, 13 April 2012 - 11:48 AM.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#19    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 13 April 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yes and no. When I took the test in the 70s it was still required to be able to Morse at 13 WPM, but even then it was not taken very seriously. Most don't handkey anymore using an automatic key or a computer (type the word hear the beeps). Because it is much easier to send large distances with low power using carrier interrupted Morse it is still very popular among the QRP record hunter. For a technical license it is not required.

AA9PW has a good site to practice the exam.

Edit: just checked and found out that according to the new rules Morse is not required anymore, even for the extra license.. which more or less enables you to do whatever you want within the amateur bands)
When I was 19, I was able to do 20 to 21 WPM so it wouldn't be a problem, with a little exercise and was able to pick up and type even faster than sending but it was eons ago now I'm not sure I could recognize sos if I listen to it ... just kidding thanks for all the info

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#20    Parsip

Parsip

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

http://www.cracked.c...d-today_p21/#21

:)

#21    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostParsip, on 13 April 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Hilarious :lol:

#22    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,230 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

I would read the newspaper, at least on weekends.   I would also read more non-digital books.

But I would have to listen to the the local TV news for weather and traffic, yuck.<_<   Local news has gotten so cheesy lately.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#23    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,439 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostParsip, on 13 April 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

lulz

about me

#24    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

hehe gov cutt it off for two months before i'll just make sure to have alot of packs of cigs  ;)

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#25    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,041 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 April 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

lulz

I'll second that.  lol

#26    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

I would read books. :)

#27    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 15 April 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

I would read books. :)
Cool I sell books on the internet :P  wanna buy some?

République No.6

#28    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostParacelse, on 15 April 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

Cool I sell books on the internet :P  wanna buy some?
Not really.

#29    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,986 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostLilly, on 12 April 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

I'm kind of amused by those who say they'd watch DVDs or play video games (if the net went down). Some of us can recall a time when even VHS tapes and 'pong' didn't exist.  :yes:
I was just old enough to remember when Pong came out. I was one of the first kids on the block to have it. I think it's still in my mom's attic with the original box.

Posted Image

If the internet were to ever disappear I would be disappointed at first. Then I would go find a piano to play. :)

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#30    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 16 April 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Not really.
teasing teasing teasing.. are you a girl or something???? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:  

I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna die

République No.6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users