Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space Exploration

Gabriels_Girl

Isn't it a waste for the US government to spend so much money on space exploration, Knowing that the technology and intelligence to reach that level will never come to be.

The odds are greater for the earth to bit hit by an asteroid and destroy civilization as we know it.

Before we could have the intelligence to travel at the speed of light.

( these are my boyfriends words)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Supertypo

• White Crane Feather

• Paranoid Android

• Sensible Logic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it a waste for the US government to spend so much money on space exploration, Knowing that the technology and intelligence to reach that level will never come to be.

The odds are greater for the earth to bit hit by an asteroid and destroy civilization as we know it.

How can investments in technology and science be a waste? its a mystery for me... :blink:

So why bother getting out of bed? You'll just eventually die anyway.

Space exploration has brought us tons of other kinds of technologies and understanding about our universe. Space exploration is tge very tool that will hopefully alow us to fend off that Commet or asteroid, protect ourselves from solar flares, and enemies that might use space to attack us.

Don't worry the NASA programs will kick up in a few years. They don't say things line this, so as not to cause panic, but the reason the shuttle programs are scrapped for a while is because if the peek solar cycle going on right now. With x an m class solar flares being common these days there's no point in haveing astranughts in constant danger of being irradiated :)

Space exploration has brought us tons of other kinds of technologies and understanding about our universe. Space exploration is tge very tool that will hopefully alow us to fend off that Commet or asteroid, protect ourselves from solar flares, and enemies that might use space to attack us.

Don't worry the NASA programs will kick up in a few years. They don't say things line this, so as not to cause panic, but the reason the shuttle programs are scrapped for a while is because if the peek solar cycle going on right now. With x an m class solar flares being common these days there's no point in haveing astranughts in constant danger of being irradiated :)

and what about the ISS?

Space exploration doesn't have to be light speed travel and interstellar exploration. It can be nothing more than exploring our own system. Finding ways to mine raw materials of the other planets, colonies on other worlds in our system to help with the ever increasing population of Earth and almost everything that is invented or discovered for the space program will have a use on the Earth.

and what about the ISS?

I havnt looked in on it in a while..... But last I heard ironically right after the one of the first x flares of the season... There was a problem with some guys getting stuck up there. I think they got back ok. I know the science. They have a little tiny shielding room that they have to stay in during the storms. I don't know what's going on now, but Im pretty sure only the very brave and very non claustrophobic can man it right now. Right now anyone there is has to be inn and out of that shielding room for who knows how many days at a time. Pretty useless for any science work going on right now. They might as well wait to 2014-15 or so. It's probably reduced to a skeleton crew for maintenance only. It's like a bad rainy season when you have lots of gardening to do. I could be wrong... But I'm probably not.

I think this is probably better suited to the Space Exploration section, I'll move this there now :tu:

~ PA

I know the science.

Really?

You do an extremely good job of hiding that knowledge.

Glossing over the fact that you can't even spell astronaut, would you care to explain why the shuttle had to be grounded because we are approaching solar max when this occurs every 11 years, but the shuttle was in service for 30 years? It doesn't add up.

I could be wrong... But I'm probably not.

You are more than wrong, you are totally clueless.

There is no little room. They are not operating on a skeleton crew, the ISS currently has its full complement of six astronauts on board.

The ISS is protected from the charged particles of solar flares the same way as we are, it orbits below the Van Allen belts. Since the shuttle also orbited below these belts this is certainly not the reason it was grounded.

Please don't just make stuff up.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo